https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/37913-kudoz_leaders_top_answerers_vs_kudoz_leaders_top_askers.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Kudoz Leaders - Top Answerers vs Kudoz Leaders - Top Askers
Thread poster: Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:07
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Oct 15, 2005

I can't remember whether we already discussed such a thing, but wouldn't it be fun and interesting to have both rankings on Proz.com main page? What do you think?

Giovanni

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:07
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Against it Oct 15, 2005

Hi Giovanni,

What problem would it solve?

bye
Gianfranco

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Problem? Oct 15, 2005

What problem? I wasn't talking about problems... I thought it would be (ok, maybe) a tool to discourage people form asking too many questions. It would have a statistical value too. Just one little window - Leaders, with Top Askers and Top Answerers, side by side. I think it would be fun...

Giovanni

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:07
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
funny but... Oct 15, 2005

It's a sort of pillorying.
Let them ask, so we can gain more points
Besides, 5 or 15 questions will never make a translation
or a translator.

Paola

Clair Pickworth
Clair Pickworth  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Why exactly? Oct 15, 2005

Yes, why discourage people from asking questions? More questions = more points for answerers and moreover, more terms in the glossaries which I have found to be invaluable tools.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
asking questions... Oct 15, 2005

Clair PG wrote:

Yes, why discourage people from asking questions?

Asking too many questions...

Giovanni

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, we did Oct 15, 2005

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

I can't remember whether we already discussed such a thing, but wouldn't it be fun and interesting to have both rankings on Proz.com main page? What do you think?

Giovanni

Hi Giovanni, you started this same discussion some five month ago in http://www.proz.com/topic/32516

Regards,
Enrique

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
oh dear... Oct 15, 2005

two2tango wrote:

Hi Giovanni, you started this same discussion some five month ago in http://www.proz.com/topic/32516

Regards,
Enrique

I must be losing it! Or maybe I've lost it already!
Well, we can debate it again, if you wish...

G

giogi
giogi
Oct 15, 2005

[Edited at 2005-10-17 19:29]

gianfranco
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Change of mind? Oct 16, 2005

Clair PG wrote:

Yes, why discourage people from asking questions?

Asking too many questions...

Giovanni

Hi Giovanni,

apparently you have changed your opinion about 180 degrees... Some time ago you were against any limitation, and now you find that some members ask too many questions...

Let me remind you.

In May 2003, I launched an informal poll asking the participants to the Italian forum to express their preferences about a possible limitation to the number of the KudoZ questions allowed:

See: http://www.proz.com/topic/10656

95 members voted
(the results can be read at the end of the thread, in English)

You were the first to vote, and... surprise, you were against any limit

bye
Gianfranco

[Modificato alle 2005-10-16 01:18]

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
? Oct 16, 2005

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

Hi Giovanni,

apparently you have changed your opinion about 180 degrees... Some time ago you were against any limitation, and now you find that some members ask too many questions...

Let me remind you.

In May 2003, I launched an informal poll asking the participants to the Italian forum to express their preferences about a possible limitation to the number of the KudoZ questions allowed:

See: http://www.proz.com/topic/10656

95 members voted
(the results can be read at the end of the thread, in English)

You were the first to vote, and... surprise, you were against any limit

bye
Gianfranco

[Modificato alle 2005-10-16 01:18]

Am I not allowed to change my mind?

G

gianfranco
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
About limits and too many questions Oct 16, 2005

Am I not allowed to change my mind?

Yes, sure, but if you are unhappy with the current system, just wait a bit and when you change your mind again you will be fine...

And now, jokes aside... ProZ.com and many members have perceived the problem that you mention. Some members were not using KudoZ for help, in cases of occasional real problems impossible or very difficult to solve with ordinary tools (dictionary, other resources) and were flooding the system and colleagues' inbox with dozen of questions.

The fair and reasonable limit on the number of questions per day, implemented in August and that you opposed in the past, appears to be useful to alleviate in part the problem with those asking "too many questions".

It is true that in 5 years some members have accumulated many hundreds or even thousands of questions asked, but that is not necessarily bad, it is just a cumulative effect of their regular use of the site. An average of one question each working day (Mon to Fri), in 5 years, makes over 1,000 questions...
In any case, there is no global limit, it has never been proposed or even discussed, and a list by the number of questions asked doesn't fulfil any purpose.

Also, you may have noticed that now in KudoZ each asker is shown with two figures (questions asked and questions answered).

That gives to any person who objects to these members 'asking too much' the information necessary to decide if they want to answer, or not.
Also, you have in the new KudoZ dashboard, a feature allowing you to filter out anyone you wish. You can effectively filter out anyone you consider not worth helping, and you will never see again their questions.

All these tools are surely useful to limit some excesses without making the KudoZ area unwelcoming to anyone.

bye
Gianfranco

[Modificato alle 2005-10-16 05:45]

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
of course Oct 16, 2005

Giovanna Rampone, PhD wrote:

[but neither kudoz points make a translator...and who's being pillored...the asker or the answerer?
It could be a way to discourage exaggerations!
Have a great weekend!
Giovanna

Q1: Kudoz, like many other things, are not enough.
Q2: The asker would be pillored.
"Askers of the month" on the home page. Mmhh, I don't think
I like it. Sounds a bit like making fun of them.

It's not a nice week end

Ciao
Paola

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
The stupidest questions are the ones you DON'T ask... Oct 17, 2005

I ask stupid questions on Kudoz.

Late at night, three hours to deadline... with no chance of asking the client, the questions don't seem so stupid!

Up to now someone on one side of the world or the other has been awake and patient enough to help out every time. That's what friends are for!

Just delete questions you don't have time for. Turn off KudoZ for a day or two if it annoys you - you'll be back!

See more
I ask stupid questions on Kudoz.

Late at night, three hours to deadline... with no chance of asking the client, the questions don't seem so stupid!

Up to now someone on one side of the world or the other has been awake and patient enough to help out every time. That's what friends are for!

Just delete questions you don't have time for. Turn off KudoZ for a day or two if it annoys you - you'll be back!

Collapse

giogi
giogi
Oct 17, 2005

[

[Edited at 2005-10-17 19:29]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz Leaders - Top Answerers vs Kudoz Leaders - Top Askers

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »