Mobile menu

Question categories - extending the range with an "Other:____" option (staff: 'ok')
Thread poster: Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:15
French to English
Oct 17, 2001

When posting/answering a question, the category "other" needs to be there. Never the less, I think it would be helpful to have a blank space in which to provide the category if a definition can be provided.

The advantages would be two-fold :

1 - askers would attract the attention of those with specific knowledge and/or interest in the given field

2 - new categories may become apparent for inclusion in the permanent range offered

Any votes for or against?

Nikki

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-07 15:11]

Direct link Reply with quote

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:15
German to English
+ ...
Interesting idea! Oct 17, 2001

I was thinking only the other day that, whenever I ask a question, I end up putting it in \'other\' because none of the other categories seem to fit. But then I couldn\'t actually work out what extra categories we would need.

I think the danger of a system such as the one you suggest would be a lack of discipline. You can imagine the profiles pages growing in length as people got points in all sorts of different categories!

But I would be in favour of extending the categories list. All I can think of at the moment is:

leisure/sports/entertainment - which could also cover food, cooking, etc.

expressions - a lot of the time, questions are about turns of phrases, expressiones, etc. and these are the ones that always end up going in \'other\'.

Just a couple of ideas ... the trouble is, keeping the numbers down to a reasonable level!

Regards

Mary

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:15
SITE FOUNDER
Great idea - we did this. Jun 7, 2005

This was a very good suggestion, and we did what you suggested. Sorry I never got back to you to let you know!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question categories - extending the range with an "Other:____" option (staff: 'ok')

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs