Mobile menu

Question categories - extending the range with an "Other:____" option (staff: 'ok')
Thread poster: Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:43
French to English
Oct 17, 2001

When posting/answering a question, the category "other" needs to be there. Never the less, I think it would be helpful to have a blank space in which to provide the category if a definition can be provided.

The advantages would be two-fold :

1 - askers would attract the attention of those with specific knowledge and/or interest in the given field

2 - new categories may become apparent for inclusion in the permanent range offered

Any votes for or against?

Nikki

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-07 15:11]

Direct link Reply with quote

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:43
German to English
+ ...
Interesting idea! Oct 17, 2001

I was thinking only the other day that, whenever I ask a question, I end up putting it in \'other\' because none of the other categories seem to fit. But then I couldn\'t actually work out what extra categories we would need.

I think the danger of a system such as the one you suggest would be a lack of discipline. You can imagine the profiles pages growing in length as people got points in all sorts of different categories!

But I would be in favour of extending the categories list. All I can think of at the moment is:

leisure/sports/entertainment - which could also cover food, cooking, etc.

expressions - a lot of the time, questions are about turns of phrases, expressiones, etc. and these are the ones that always end up going in \'other\'.

Just a couple of ideas ... the trouble is, keeping the numbers down to a reasonable level!

Regards

Mary

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:43
SITE FOUNDER
Great idea - we did this. Jun 7, 2005

This was a very good suggestion, and we did what you suggested. Sorry I never got back to you to let you know!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question categories - extending the range with an "Other:____" option (staff: 'ok')

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Websites for Translators
Build your new website, create a set of compelling graphics or find a new branding path with us.

We help both freelance translators and established translation agencies by applying online marketing strategies in the competitive world of languages. Click below to find out more!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs