Mobile menu

ProZ.com should assist in taking action against non-payers
Thread poster: xxxfachexpert
xxxfachexpert
Local time: 13:13
German to English
+ ...
Jul 9, 2002

Dear colleagues. I have of late had bad experiences friom at least two agencies which have bluffed me, got a substantial amount of work done from me and havent paid the fees even 2 months after the job was submitted. In one case, I was supposed to receive the money on the 30th of May 2002, which I havent received yet.

I seriously want PROZ to take stiff measures against parties which are faking and take translators for a ride. Polylingua not a well known company in the Czech Republic has not paid me and the amount is almost 600 Dollars. Well, I want other translators to be careful in this connection and I would be immensely to the PROZ site if they help us in such matters by taking action against such parties. Please feel free to mail me on fachexpert@yahoo.com for any other queries.

Direct link

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use the Blue Board Jul 9, 2002

Hi.

Please note that there is a feature on ProZ that lets you rate agencies based on your willingness to work for them again (which I assume is rather low...). Use the link to \"Agency ratings\" to get to what is also referred to as the ProZ Blue Board - note that you are not the only one who has had the same experience with the agency concerned.

As far as your call for \"stiff action\" is concerned, I wonder what kind of action you\'re thinking of? ProZ is not a party to the legal relationship between yourself and any party instructing you for a job, so what exactly would you want them to do?

Direct link

xxxfachexpert
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
stiff action Jul 10, 2002

By stiff action I primarily mean that PROZ should assistus by first verifying the identity of the translation company. I guess companies may register with proz (just as we translators do) only after proving the fact that their organization actually exists.

I also received a mail from a preson who presented himself to be one Helmut Moser(his address being xterpret@yahoo.com)but the outgoing name of the mail was Frank Betzy. He assumed thte name of the company to be Xterpret GmbH. I completed the job for this person and there has been no correspondence from him therafter. Such disturbing instances suggest that some parties can indeed be treacherous. Perhaps PROZ can help us verifying where the so called comapny is located. We can then pursue the party through the embassy of that country. I DID NOT REFER TO ANY LEGAL INVOLVEMENT OF PROZ. LET MY WORDS NOT BE MISUNDERSTOOD.

Direct link

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:13
SITE FOUNDER
Use the Blue Board Jul 10, 2002

Regarding your complaints on specific agencies, the Blue Board (see \'agency ratings\' in the menu bar) is a structured forum we have set up for ProZ.com members to share their experiences with agencies. As a practical matter, we are not able to manage the fallout from criticism made in this unstructured forum (which is viewable by over 35,000 members.)

Thanks for your understanding! (And please make sure to post to the Blue Board!)

------------

To address the suggestion portions of your posting, it is already our policy to provide all agency contact information to people who may have been subject to fraud.

We are also considering the viability of vetting job postings. The issues are timing (we want to continue to offer the fastest responses possible), and funding (we don\'t make anything on jobs.)

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com should assist in taking action against non-payers

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs