Thread poster: two2tango
two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 10, 2002

The happy gang who populate the Spanish forum hit upon the idea of having a literary cafe, after discovering that many of us have written poems or short stories and are ready to share them.

Now posting them in the Spanish forum (as we are doing now) is not the best solution, since we are very interactive, and the best verses run the very real risk of getting buried under a mound of words.

Could we have a literary cafe in this site? A \"Literary cafe\" forum would do, providin
... See more
The happy gang who populate the Spanish forum hit upon the idea of having a literary cafe, after discovering that many of us have written poems or short stories and are ready to share them.

Now posting them in the Spanish forum (as we are doing now) is not the best solution, since we are very interactive, and the best verses run the very real risk of getting buried under a mound of words.

Could we have a literary cafe in this site? A \"Literary cafe\" forum would do, providing room for all languages. Even better would be a more permanent format, like a set of pages linked to each other, all part of ProZ.

I think the site should benefit by having this feature, adding a new dimension beyond translation. And for sure many members would like ProZ even better.

Besides it does not look expensive.

Who knows, maybe some day there will be a book intitulated \"the best of our poetZ”?

Comments?

Enrique

[addsig]
Collapse

Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Jul 10, 2002

I\'ve always liked writing but I haven\'t always had the courage (or the adecuate place) to show my work. So this would be an excellent opportunity.

I want to thank all the people who supported me and who, like two2tango, contributed with great ideas.

Count me in!

Valeria

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-10 23:36 ]

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great idea! Jul 10, 2002

Count me in!

Aurora

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
I second that emotion Jul 10, 2002

I think it would be a great addition to ProZ.

Regards,

Belkis

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
:-) :-) Jul 10, 2002

Aloha,

Great idea !!

I work with an agency which has a place in their web page called \'Trastienda\'. It is there where many of us, freelancers and staff members for the agency, post quotations, poems and other literary pieces.

It will be great to have such a section in the ProZ.com forum. It will enable all \'writers\' from different l
... See more
Aloha,

Great idea !!

I work with an agency which has a place in their web page called \'Trastienda\'. It is there where many of us, freelancers and staff members for the agency, post quotations, poems and other literary pieces.

It will be great to have such a section in the ProZ.com forum. It will enable all \'writers\' from different languages from our community to post their \'babies\'.

It will allow for creative pieces not to be buried in the \'Off topic\' or specific language sections.

Mahalo,

JL
Collapse

Leonardo Parachú
Leonardo Parachú  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
You get my vote Jul 10, 2002

Count me in too!

Regards,

Leonardo.

[addsig]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Clarification Jul 10, 2002

I like the idea.

We do have a literary forum now--so I take it you would like something with a different format. Just to clarify, are you are suggesting a place where people can upload their writings? Should discussion be permitted to follow? What other features would be useful.

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thought.... Jul 10, 2002

Hola Henry (Quique),

I do think it should be a little different. A writer\'s corner and refuge, for all languages. Limited to quotations (made by poster), poems, short stories, tales, etc.

Let us wait for two2tango and see what they have to say...it is \'their\' baby

Hug to you,

JL

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-10 21:33 ]

Leonardo Parachú
Leonardo Parachú  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
To Henry Jul 10, 2002

Hello, Henry. First time we \"meet\". The idea is this, forgive me \"twototango\" if I take the lead... As I was saying... We´d like something like a \"ground connection\" if you know what I mean. A space for us to let go ALL of our creative \"talents\". And know that no one is going to come and say \"I don´t like it, go home\". A friendly space for every \"nutty translator\" who´d say \"hey, I like this crap I wrote and would like to share it with my peers.\"

Well, I mus
... See more
Hello, Henry. First time we \"meet\". The idea is this, forgive me \"twototango\" if I take the lead... As I was saying... We´d like something like a \"ground connection\" if you know what I mean. A space for us to let go ALL of our creative \"talents\". And know that no one is going to come and say \"I don´t like it, go home\". A friendly space for every \"nutty translator\" who´d say \"hey, I like this crap I wrote and would like to share it with my peers.\"

Well, I must be going now...

Regards,

leonardo Parachú

PD: things like these: \"If you screw up once, don´t worry. You get used to after a while.\"

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-11 01:48 ]
Collapse

two2tango
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mi vision of the literary cafe Jul 11, 2002

Hi Henry!

How did this idea arise? First a fellow member posted some very fine verses, and then another one sent hers, and then another one sent a nice short story...

And I felt a little sad that these pieces of art should get buried under opinions about rates and similar stuff.

Now this is the material I have in mind. I kindly disagree with our friend Leonardo, I do not have a graffiti wall in mind. Of course I mean original materia
... See more
Hi Henry!

How did this idea arise? First a fellow member posted some very fine verses, and then another one sent hers, and then another one sent a nice short story...

And I felt a little sad that these pieces of art should get buried under opinions about rates and similar stuff.

Now this is the material I have in mind. I kindly disagree with our friend Leonardo, I do not have a graffiti wall in mind. Of course I mean original material produced by the ProZ members.

Now the real question is how to have quality stuff without censorship or without someone working as editor? How about using peer-grading, just like we do with the KudoZ?

Suppose I post a poem and then people can read it and, if they like it, give some kind of kudoZ. The material collecting so many \"points\" gets into a hall of fame, or poets\' corner... The contributions that fail to get there in, say, one or two weeks get erased.

Please note that I do not mean a competition. One or more moderators should be entitled to delete the bad-tasted entries. Beyond this gate, anything could be posted in the \"outer yard\" to remain there for a while, and these entries selected by peer grading would pass to the \"inner circle\", to be preserved as part of the site\'s cultural treasure. Once qualified, I would not keep track of peer grading.

Once in the \"hall of fame\", the material could be arranged by language, genre, etc.

You could even have each participating language have its own \"place\"...

Just a couple of raw ideas...

Regards,

Enrique

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-11 04:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-11 04:54 ]
Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sorry, it was the mouse.... Jul 11, 2002

You nervous mouse!!!!

How many times are you planning to click?!?!?

My comments are below...

Aurora

This is like a .............TEASER.......

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-11 19:00 ]

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some thoughts... Jul 11, 2002

Hi!

I think the new section could be in the same Literature and Poetry \"field\". (Jason´s jargon, ja ja ja!!!)

(Techniques / Literature and Poetry & the tanguero´s baby, whatever the name we put to it).

The section might be called:

\"ProZ members words and thoughts\"

\"Our own ProZe\"

\"ProZetry\"

\"ProZpective Nobel Prizes\"

\"ProZecute me if you don´t like it\" ...
See more
Hi!

I think the new section could be in the same Literature and Poetry \"field\". (Jason´s jargon, ja ja ja!!!)

(Techniques / Literature and Poetry & the tanguero´s baby, whatever the name we put to it).

\"Our own ProZe\"

\"ProZetry\"

\"ProZecute me if you don´t like it\"

I think that the emphasis is on the fact that it would be devoted to literature (as Jota Ele says poems, essays, stories) for readers not to confuse them with the works of DHLawrence, Paul Auster, Robert Graves, Emily Dickinson...

About grading them... Hummm....

I think that grading these works might discourage some people from posting them.

IMHO creations should just be posted for people to read and to comment on them if they wish.

Hugs and kudoZ (sorry, kisses) from Buenos Aires!

Aurora

ProZadict
Collapse

two2tango
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On grading and clutter Jul 11, 2002

The idea of grading is to separate the material worth preserving from the rest.

I am afraid that the best ones will get buried among hundreds of graffiti, aphorisms, jokes, and the like.

I dislike the rating idea, but if we want to move from \"it would be nice\" to the realm of reality, we have to find a solution to the clutter problem.

In short I can see only three possibilities:

a) To accumulate everything until it is impossible
... See more
The idea of grading is to separate the material worth preserving from the rest.

I am afraid that the best ones will get buried among hundreds of graffiti, aphorisms, jokes, and the like.

I dislike the rating idea, but if we want to move from \"it would be nice\" to the realm of reality, we have to find a solution to the clutter problem.

In short I can see only three possibilities:

a) To accumulate everything until it is impossible to find anything in particular, or

b) To give everything a given time-span, no matter what, and then delete it, or

c) To find a way to keep what\'s worth preserving and give the rest a time span o-line.

Am I overlooking something?

Regards,

Enrique
[addsig]
Collapse

Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just a tought Jul 11, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-11 18:58, aurorah wrote:

\"Our own ProZe\"

\"ProZetry\"

I think that grading these works m... See more
Quote:

On 2002-07-11 18:58, aurorah wrote:

\"Our own ProZe\"

\"ProZetry\"

I think that grading these works might discourage some people from posting them.

I like ProZetry. Good option!

As regards grading... I have my doubts. It might be a little discouraging. I don\'t know. Convince me otherwise!!!!

Val

Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
I get it Jul 11, 2002

OK, the idea is clear to me now. I think there will be a way to do the review thing in a very positive way. Can\'t promise it will be ready tomorrow...but hopefully we will be able to do something over the next few months.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Literary cafe proposed

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »