Mobile menu

On the 1.00 fee or: The art of weeding out the lowgrade rabble
Thread poster: Angus Martin
Angus Martin
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 18, 2001

I was disappointed to see that PROZ is instituting a fee next year for posting bids by \'lowgrade\' members. This will lead me, and I suspect many others, to cease using the service. While I have yet to receive a job through PROZ, it hasn\'t costed me anything, and I continued to be hopeful. But I suppose this is the point: weed out the translators who haven\'t been helped by the service anyway, collect a \'tithe\' from them that have or believe they will, and push them that waver to upgrade thier membership.

C\'est la vie.

Angus Martin

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 18:20
SITE FOUNDER
Serious bids are worth $1--or at least some browniz Oct 18, 2001

The main reason to start charging for bids is the large number of non-serious bids. (One job had 420.) Charging a minimal fee will encourage people to stop entering bids which say nothing more that \"I am available. Contact me for details.\" (These are a disservice not only to outsourcers, who get email notification of these, but also to the bidders themselves, who will never be contacted.)

And to be clear, the fee is one dollar OR 100 BrowniZ. The concept, in other words, is that you can pay your way in or earn your way in. If you are unwilling to do either, you will still get some number of bids for free. But at some point, you will be asked to contribute somehow to the site.

Anyway, thanks for using ProZ.com until now. We will continue to work on improving it, and I hope that you will continue to find value. I hope at some point you will see paying membership as a worthwhile investment.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On the 1.00 fee or: The art of weeding out the lowgrade rabble

Advanced search

TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs