https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/38896-suggestion%3A_imperative_stating_of_subject_in_job_postings.html

Suggestion: Imperative stating of subject in job-postings
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:42
Czech to German
+ ...
Nov 11, 2005

Hi,

I just saw the following job-posting (http://www.proz.com/job/91961):

Job type: Translation/editing/proofing Job

Languages: French to German

Job description: correction reguliere de documents en ligne, en allemand

I'd like to send them my bid if they had mentionned what it is all about - but I would not do so if it were a medical text,
... See more
Hi,

I'd like to send them my bid if they had mentionned what it is all about - but I would not do so if it were a medical text, for instance, because I don't have the faintest notion of this.
As I think there are more colleagues who don't want to bid on "obscure" jobs I'd suggest to hold outsourcers to their duty to state the subject when posting a job. What about something like "Please fill in the subject before going on", otherwise the next page will not appear?

Charlotte
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Couldn't agree more Nov 11, 2005

Charlotte Blank wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to send them my bid if they had mentionned what it is all about - but I would not do so if it were a medical text, for instance, because I don't have the faintest notion of this.
As I think there are more colleagues who don't want to bid on "obscure" jobs I'd suggest to hold outsourcers to their duty to state the subject when posting a job. What about something like "Please fill in the subject before going on", otherwise the next page will not appear?

Charlotte

I have often wondered how people can bid without having a clue about what they are bidding on. Meanwhile, the agency gets all your personal information... And we never get any feedback about the results. A couple of the reasons why I never bid on jobs.

[Edited at 2005-11-11 12:53]

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Couldn't agree more Nov 11, 2005

Bidding without knowing the translation subject is absurd.

Laura

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:42
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Not a bad idea Nov 11, 2005

But remember that few project managers are multi-lingual. Have you ever been told "I think it's a business text", which could be anything from an advertisement to a balance sheet?

Off the top of my flu-riddled head: how about making it compulsory, with the rider that "If you are unsure of the exact subject area of the job, click here and enter 2 paragraphs. This information will be posted immediately to professionals who will respect the confidentiality of the content and offer you
... See more
But remember that few project managers are multi-lingual. Have you ever been told "I think it's a business text", which could be anything from an advertisement to a balance sheet?

Off the top of my flu-riddled head: how about making it compulsory, with the rider that "If you are unsure of the exact subject area of the job, click here and enter 2 paragraphs. This information will be posted immediately to professionals who will respect the confidentiality of the content and offer you a suggestion".

This then gets posted as a "job definition task" which could be paid for in Browniz.

Just an idea.
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Restriction to "pros" who respect confidentiality? Nov 11, 2005

Textklick wrote:
...snip...
professionals who will respect the confidentiality of the content

Who's that? How will you guarantee this confidential treatment? Anyway, there's already the sample text box that can be used for this purpose.

With this said I, too, can't understand why some job posters won't clearly specify what their job is all about. We view it as our duty to be as clear as possible (while only as verbose as necessary) in our job postings.

B

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Don't make it a required field. Nov 11, 2005

I wholeheartedly agree, it doesn't get any more ridiculous than "Need 2400 words by tomorrow. It's a technical translation". Gee, thanks. On the other hand, I'd rather not work for an agency that doesn't even care about giving out basic information. Or who can't be bothered. It's a perfect criterium to tell agencies one doesn't want to work with. [attitude]Let someone at .03 € handle jobs from this type of agency.[/attitude].
Textklick wrote:
Well, they know what line of business the client is in? Seeing that they have internet access, they could google what the text is about. Or, even worse, talk to the client to make sure the client gets what he pays for?

Peter Bouillon
Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Isn't that the name of that game? Nov 11, 2005

writeaway wrote:
I have often wondered how people can bid without having a clue about what they are bidding on. Meanwhile, the agency gets all your personal information.

Well, how did the agency come by the job they know practically nothing about? I mean, how did they acquire it in the first place?

Answer, evidently: They bid on it blind-folded.

So there you have it: All the parties in the chain are expected to give estimates for jobs without having data to go by. It's the name of that game. Let's call it "Blind Translator's Buff".

[Edited at 2005-11-11 16:27]

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:42
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Retraction Nov 11, 2005

I agree with Ben and Klaus and retract my suggestion. But don't forget that my first paragraph is a fact of life and often applies to large LSPs who offer reasonable rates.

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

Seeing that they have internet access, they could google what the text is about. Or, even worse, talk to the client to make sure the client gets what he pays for?

Maybe add some of (the spirit) of Klaus' above comments as handy hints to section 2 of http://www.proz.com/faq/jobs_posting?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Hints on the job posting form Nov 12, 2005

Hi all,
Thanks for your suggestions and comments.

Please don't forget that introducing a detailed description as a mandatory component would require vetting for every job posted.

Have you taken a look at the new job posting form? Both job title and details are mandatory, with further hints given. Obviously, there will always be outsourcers who cannot be bothered...

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: Imperative stating of subject in job-postings

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »