Glossary terms only entered by Moderators
Thread poster: John Guzman
John Guzman
John Guzman
Local time: 02:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 15, 2002

I understand that there are not that many moderators and that they are already servicing the community as best as they can but, I think we should maybe have some more moderators for every language pair and they should have the responsability of entering terms. I have seen some entries to our glossaries that are very poor to say it nicely. I think if we want a solid built glossary we should leave the responsability of entering terms to members with a little more knowledge and responsability.... See more
I understand that there are not that many moderators and that they are already servicing the community as best as they can but, I think we should maybe have some more moderators for every language pair and they should have the responsability of entering terms. I have seen some entries to our glossaries that are very poor to say it nicely. I think if we want a solid built glossary we should leave the responsability of entering terms to members with a little more knowledge and responsability.

John.

P.S. This is just a suggestion and not directed at anyone in particular so please do not miscontrue this as an attack of any kind. Thanks for reading.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:35
English to German
+ ...
Contact the moderator(s) if you see an incorrect entry Jul 15, 2002

Hi John,

I see your point - that said, I think this might create quite significant additional workload for mods (don\'t forget we\'re all running businesses). If you see something which you think is incorrect, don\'t hesitate to contact the moderator(s) for the pair concerned. In this way, we can keep the focus on those cases where it\'s really necessary.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Speaking as a moderator ... Jul 23, 2002

Part and parcel of our \"job\", is to keep an eye on glossary entries. Don\'t forget though that most moderators are working language professionals and that they moderate their sub-community on a voluntary basis. No, this is not a cop-out, just an explanation. Other factors which come into play apart from time :

- knowledge (it is not possible to have expertise in all areas. Knowing when to change an entry, and when not to, is important)

- availability.
... See more
Part and parcel of our \"job\", is to keep an eye on glossary entries. Don\'t forget though that most moderators are working language professionals and that they moderate their sub-community on a voluntary basis. No, this is not a cop-out, just an explanation. Other factors which come into play apart from time :

- knowledge (it is not possible to have expertise in all areas. Knowing when to change an entry, and when not to, is important)

- availability. We do not monitor all of the questions, all of the time. If I have a couple of days out for exaple, then I look back through what I have missed.

As a matter of priority, I concentrate on

(1) open questions,

(2) closed questions where no term has been entered, and

(3) on questions in my specific fields of expertise.

After that, apart from trying to keep up with postings as they come in (bearing in mind that I am not logged on permanantly) looking in on all other questions as I can to see whether the answers make sense.

Then, let\'s be honest, moderators are mere mortals and can make mistakes too!

Nikki

(Co-moderator FR>EN)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-23 08:53 ]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'd appreciate a little help on this myself Jul 25, 2002

Particularly the inverse direction

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
To Nikki Scott Despaigne Jul 29, 2002

Dear colleague,

Apparently, you are the FR>EN moderator, but where is the EN>Fr one ? I agree with you about the diversity of subjects. If you could have a look on what is accepted (and entered into glossaries) in the medical field, you would be horrified. The worst is when you send a kind and polite message to ProZ, to inform them that the efforts they have (kindly) made to translate into French the message accompanying the announcement that a colleague has answered your KudoZ (pro)
... See more
Dear colleague,

Apparently, you are the FR>EN moderator, but where is the EN>Fr one ? I agree with you about the diversity of subjects. If you could have a look on what is accepted (and entered into glossaries) in the medical field, you would be horrified. The worst is when you send a kind and polite message to ProZ, to inform them that the efforts they have (kindly) made to translate into French the message accompanying the announcement that a colleague has answered your KudoZ (pro) query is carrying 2 critical errors,despite the time you take to correct these mistakes to avoid ProZ being felt as ridiculous, you receive a rude and indecent message asking you to \"contact the moderator of this pair\", who doesn\'t exist as it is indicated in all the KudoZ pages concerning the EN>FR pages. I wonder if someone is managing this site. P.S. I can send you this strange response to my message (and my message) on demand.

Have a nice night

Take care
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:35
SITE FOUNDER
Response from ProZ.com staff Jul 29, 2002

Catherine,

If you got a rude and indecent message, it did not come from anyone on the ProZ.com staff. I don\'t want anyone to misunderstand your posting. I can assure you someone is running the site; these things do not run themselves.

Anyway, glossary entries can be entered and edited by (1) the person who asks a question, (2) the person who answers it, and (3) moderators. ProZ.com staff does not modify glossary entries.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossary terms only entered by Moderators

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »