aivars  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 20, 2002

Dear Users:

Do you really want to be moderated?

Wouldn´t you prefer that your post be online right after you wrote it?

Wouldn´t you like to follow all possible discussions no matter how wild or challenging?

Well, I would. Especially in a forum. After all this is just about words.

I think that this request does not conflict with the commercial or professional aspects of the site.

Is it that bad to prefer the risks of freedom to the risks of control?

Direct link Reply with quote

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 03:33
English to Dutch
+ ...
Actually... Jul 20, 2002

Your posts are always immediately online. Nobody reads your messages before they appear.

Moderators only interfere if a posting appears to be too wild, or is of a commercial nature, etc.

And IMHO it\'s \'not just about words\'.

Words can do a lot of harm and have wreaked serious havoc throughout the ages.

[addsig]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:33
English to German
+ ...
Agree with Evert... Jul 20, 2002

...but then, since we\'re both moderators, that\'s probably not much of a surprise, is it.

Trust me, this is not about censorship - but in each community there have to be certain limits in order to prevent those participating from being hurt. Sadly, we\'ve experienced a number of incidents where participants were so offended by others\' \"contributions\" that they wanted to turn away from this site. Would you accept that as a potential outcome of unlimited \"freedom\" of speech?

I\'d be interested to know the views of non-moderators in this respect.

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 21:33
SITE FOUNDER
Not really much of a philosophical debate Jul 20, 2002

Can you give an example of a large community that exists on or off the internet without some form of governance? A large forum is no healthier unmoderated than a large society would be without rules, laws, cultural mores...something.

What would you do with a posting that threatens physical violence? Or with seven postings from the same person, using different names, agreeing with himself?

The fact that you can even suggest \"anarchy\" means our rules have worked! You obviously don\'t know that unmoderated, this forum destroyed itself 3 times. Hard to believe, isn\'t it?

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Your posts are NOT immediately online Jul 20, 2002

Evert, if one is not a paying member, there is a delay before the posting goes online.

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
To be or not to be... Jul 21, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-20 04:27, aivars wrote:

Do you really want to be moderated?

Personally, I prefer un-moderated forums, but if I join one with rules, I have no problem following them.

Quote:

Wouldn´t you like to follow all possible discussions no matter how wild or challenging?

Well, I would. Especially in a forum. After all this is just about words.

If you\'re looking for a language forum with no boundaries, you might want to join Lantra. It\'s \"self-moderated\", which means everyone gets to put down everybody else. Occasionally, when things get really gory, one of the admins sends a \"children, please be nice\" message (literally), and for a week or two the nastiness level goes down (but not much).

Alternatively, you might want to join one of the Usenet groups (sci.skeptic is a good one), where you\'ll find flame wars, sock-puppets, trolls, divas, sacred cows, and everything in-between. For the ultimate abuse experience, one of the alt.flame groups could be a good option.

Enjoy!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-21 01:52 ]

aivars  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for all your respectful replies Jul 21, 2002

Ralf, I guess that if all moderators were like you I would have never posted such request.

Also, I feel it´s pretty fair that those who pay have extra benefits as posting in real time.

Dyran thanks for the Lantra tip and so. I don´t think I ´ll go for any gory interactions, it´s just nice to express oneself freely and hear others expressing themselves freely as well.

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
...that is the question Jul 21, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-21 03:53, aivars wrote:

Dyran thanks for the Lantra tip and so. I don´t think I ´ll go for any gory interactions, it´s just nice to express oneself freely and hear others expressing themselves freely as well.

You\'re assuming people will excercise good judgement when writing on forums. That\'s not the case. Goriness (among other things) is exactly what happens when people are allowed to express everything and anything (including abuse). Most people don\'t have a thick enough skin to be able to take it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

doing away with moderators

Advanced search

Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs