Tsogt Gombosuren  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:47
Member (2004)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
I share the opinion to set a minimum rate for jobs. Dec 28, 2005

Levan Namoradze wrote:
And can someone explain me, why an Indian agency may get let's say English into Georgian translation from all over the world? Please note that further such agency use to apply back to us, the native Georgians, however, with their lower (even ridiculous) rates.

I receive such offers too often and when I offer my rate (pretty reasonable I think), they disappear.

[Edited at 2005-12-28 05:23]

[Edited at 2005-12-28 05:24]

Levan Namoradze
Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 06:47
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
Agree Dec 28, 2005

Tsogt Gombosuren wrote:

Levan Namoradze wrote:
And can someone explain me, why an Indian agency may get let's say English into Georgian translation from all over the world? Please note that further such agency use to apply back to us, the native Georgians, however, with their lower (even ridiculous) rates.

I receive such offers too often and when I offer my rate (pretty reasonable I think), they disappear.

[Edited at 2005-12-28 05:23]

[Edited at 2005-12-28 05:24]

Yes, they use to disappear. However, once I got at least 15 offers from different PMs of the same agency from India! Just imagine!!!

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
No more job postings Dec 28, 2005

Let's be radical for a moment.
It is usually stated in various forums that Platinum members are essential for the site. They are the ones that collaborate with money.
Then, if Platinum members are not happy with the rates offered at job postings and there is nothing we can do about it, why should we support this? I know this is not all Platinums, but how many are we? Please raise your hands.
Maybe it is time Proz.com dedicates its efforts and resources on something else. Maybe
... See more
Let's be radical for a moment.
It is usually stated in various forums that Platinum members are essential for the site. They are the ones that collaborate with money.
Then, if Platinum members are not happy with the rates offered at job postings and there is nothing we can do about it, why should we support this? I know this is not all Platinums, but how many are we? Please raise your hands.
Maybe it is time Proz.com dedicates its efforts and resources on something else. Maybe there shouldn't be any job postings. In the end, we Platinums are enabling these pseudo-agencies and low raters to make an easier living, by supporting (not with ideas, but with real dollars and euros)this.
I have endlessly listened to Platinums in forums expressing that they are not Platinum due to job postings. Then, why have them?
It wouldn't make any difference to me, and I think that KudoZ and Forums are strong enough today to justify Platinum membership. I would be willing to contribute to enhance these features and new ones. But, why am I supporting pseudo-agencies and low raters?
Collapse

Marcela García Henríquez
Marcela García Henríquez
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Minimum rate Dec 28, 2005

I would rather support a minimum rate than eliminate job postings, because I would like to get clients through Proz.com. With a minimum rate everyone would be able to bid knowing what the lowest rate is and people would not complain about the very low rates.

A free market does no exclude that certain guidelines can be established... things do not need to be that radical. If it is so free that it has no limits at all, we could be all selling our own children through the Internet... See more
I would rather support a minimum rate than eliminate job postings, because I would like to get clients through Proz.com. With a minimum rate everyone would be able to bid knowing what the lowest rate is and people would not complain about the very low rates.

A free market does no exclude that certain guidelines can be established... things do not need to be that radical. If it is so free that it has no limits at all, we could be all selling our own children through the Internet all in the name of freedom.

There is no freedom without a frame of limits and responsibility. Maybe the key is flexibility.
Collapse

Fred Neild (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Polite filtering Dec 28, 2005

Marcela García Henríquez wrote:

I would rather support a minimum rate than eliminate job postings, because I would like to get clients through Proz.com.

You can still get jobs from Proz.com as Robert and other members have correctly pointed out by participating, your profile and networking at Proz.com.

My point is that this system costs time and money and seems to attract the worst kind. Is it interesting? Isn't it time for a polite visitors filtering?

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
I fully agree Dec 28, 2005

Marcela García Henríquez wrote:

A free market does no exclude that certain guidelines can be established... things do not need to be that radical. If it is so free that it has no limits at all, we could be all selling our own children through the Internet all in the name of freedom.

There is no freedom without a frame of limits and responsibility. Maybe the key is flexibility.

Yes, I fully agree with Marcela.
That something should be done A.S.A.P., it s obvious.
I consider her criterium absolutely correct.

Alicia

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:47
English to German
+ ...
Please see the ProZ.com policy on rates Dec 28, 2005

Hi all,
This has been discussed before: please see the site's published policy in this respect.

With a minimum rate everyone would be able to bid knowing what the lowest rate is

You should know what your minimum rate is - and you shouldn't quote below that.

...and people would not complain about the very low rates.

But who says what a "very low" rate is? What might be acceptable, or even attractive for you might be rock bottom for someone else. Running an independent business, I would strongly object to anyone taking away my right to define the terms at which I'm prepared to do business.

What is often missed in these discussions is the fact that the price per word (line, character, etc.) is irrelevant to your bottom line: it's the income over a given period of time (hour, day, week, month, ...) you need to consider - and only you can determine that.

Best regards,
Ralf

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Dec 28, 2005

I fully agree with Alicia & Marcela.

Walter

Cristóbal del Río Faura
Cristóbal del Río Faura  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
A "cheap job" section? Dec 28, 2005

It’s just a vague idea. I mean, setting up a separate section for "cheap jobs" where outsourcers could post job offers below a certain rate. Above that rate job offers would go to the “standard jobs” section. The crossover rate would be voted by members.

This of course would not prevent low rate jobs from being posted at Proz. However, people using the “cheap jobs” section would somehow have the (negative) feeling that they are operating in a kind of substandard market. T
... See more
It’s just a vague idea. I mean, setting up a separate section for "cheap jobs" where outsourcers could post job offers below a certain rate. Above that rate job offers would go to the “standard jobs” section. The crossover rate would be voted by members.

This of course would not prevent low rate jobs from being posted at Proz. However, people using the “cheap jobs” section would somehow have the (negative) feeling that they are operating in a kind of substandard market. That negative feeling could be reinforced by statements encouraging people to use the standard jobs section and offer and/or be prepared to pay higher rates, and explaining why low rates are detrimental for the general profession.

Regards,
Cr

[Edited at 2005-12-28 14:26]
Collapse

Fred Neild (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Subdividing Dec 28, 2005

Cristóbal del Río Faura wrote:

This of course would not prevent low rate jobs from being posted at Proz. However, people using the “cheap jobs” section would somewhat have the (negative) feeling that they are operating in a kind of substandard market. That negative feeling could be reinforced by statements encouraging people to use the standard jobs section and offer and/or be prepared to pay higher rates, and explaining why low rates are detrimental for the general profession.

Regards,
Cr

Yes, Proz.com has grown a lot and it needs subdividing. I believe this is the best approach.

I have mentioned eliminating job postings because the current system is "worst than nothing".

I agree with Ralf, minimum rate has already been discussed in many forums, we need new ideas that play along with the free market.

Fred Neild (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
We have never set terms Dec 28, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:
But who says what a "very low" rate is? What might be acceptable, or even attractive for you might be rock bottom for someone else.

So you don't believe in raising standards. It is better to have a poor system than trying to enhance it only because it is impossible to please everyone.

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Running an independent business, I would strongly object to anyone taking away my right to define the terms at which I'm prepared to do business.

We don't define terms, clients do (this is the same for any business). Of course, it depends on your target audience the terms you can aim at. But we can use strategy to improve our terms, and even our audience. This should be better for everybody (including low raters). We are not trying to harm anybody, we are trying to raise standards.

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You *should* do it all the time Dec 28, 2005

Fred,
With all due respect, I would like to ask you not to misrepresent what I said.

But who says what a "very low" rate is? What might be acceptable, or even attractive for you might be rock bottom for someone else.

So you don't believe in raising standards.

Would you please substantiate which part of my statement would permit you to interpret what I said in this way?

Can you imagine a team of volunteers working to help freelancers around the world, helping to ensure a minimum standard of information, and trying to keep educating those who may not be aware of what they should take into account when running a business (which is what freelancers do)? Would you accuse that team in the way you just attacked me?

It is better to have a poor system than trying to enhance it only because it is impossible to please everyone.

Of course not. I'm just not convinced that setting an artificial "minimum" (6 cents? 8 cents? Why not 15 cents?) is the right answer to the issue at stake. I believe we need to work to help freelancers see their real costs, and assist them in targeting a client base that will allow them to achieve their target earnings, regardless of where they're located. By pretending that we're excluding low rates (whatever that is), we will not make them go away - we will just not see them posted. Not a solution, as far as I'm concerned.

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Running an independent business, I would strongly object to anyone taking away my right to define the terms at which I'm prepared to do business.

We don't define terms, clients do (this is the same for any business).

Not at all. A client asks me for a quote (and may or may not suggest a price), and I will submit an offer, based on the terms at which I'm willing to take the job. Of course this means that I will not get every job offered - but that's part of the game, isn't it?

Of course, it depends on your target audience the terms you can aim at. But we can use strategy to improve our terms, and even our audience. This should be better for everybody (including low raters).

Precisely.

We are not trying to harm anybody, we are trying to raise standards.

So far, you stated that you want to raise prices - I suggest you take a moment to review US and EU antitrust law. To raise standards takes a bit more than making low rates invisible.

I accept that you want to do no harm, but I will ask that you accept the same for my point of view.

Best regards,
Ralf

Fred Neild (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apologies Dec 28, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Fred,
With all due respect, I would like to ask you not to misrepresent what I said.

Fair enough and I am sorry if I have done this. Must be my years at law school. : )

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Fred Neild wrote:
So you don't believe in raising standards.

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Would you please substantiate which part of my statement would permit you to interpret what I said in this way?

What I mean is that maybe we are not suggesting a perfect system, but it is manifest that a large group of Prozians are not happy with the lack of differentiation concerning job postings and something should be done to change this.
I am sure you would like to raise standards, sorry, it really sounds bad. I follow your interactions in forums and 'for the record' I believe you are one of the members who provide extremely valuable contributions.

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Can you imagine a team of volunteers working to help freelancers around the world, helping to ensure a minimum standard of information, and trying to keep educating those who may not be aware of what they should take into account when running a business (which is what freelancers do)? Would you accuse that team in the way you just attacked me?

I know you and many members of Proz.com are doing this. I admire your patience and your efforts, but I believe it is naive believing this is enough. For sure it is a start and My Congratulations. Maybe you could even plan an internal marketing campaign at Proz.com, that would be great and I would be eager to help. I am sure Henry could provide you a space at the homepage for this campaign since many low raters don't read forum postings.

But, like I have said before, I believe beginners could still charge low rates, but we shouldn't be posting along with them. I am sure even agencies would appreciate if the community was subdivided between low raters (beginners, etc) and professional or full time or established translators.

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Fred Neild wrote:
We don't define terms, clients do (this is the same for any business).

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Not at all. A client asks me for a quote (and may or may not suggest a price), and I will submit an offer, based on the terms at which I'm willing to take the job. Of course this means that I will not get every job offered - but that's part of the game, isn't it?

I disagree. Before establishing your terms I am sure you have studied your target audience. IMO clients/audiences establish terms.

[Edited at 2005-12-28 15:49]

[Edited at 2005-12-28 16:06]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Back on track... Dec 28, 2005

Hi again,
Fair enough and I am sorry if I have done this. Must be my years at law school. : )

Apology gladly accepted - for a moment, I felt being cross-examined...

What I mean is that maybe we are not suggesting a perfect system, but it is manifest that a large group of Prozians are not happy with the lack of differentiation concerning job postings and something should be done to change this.

We would need to find out whether this holds true for a significant proportion of Platinum members. It is interesting to contrast the recurring discussions about a perceived erosion of rates with the response to recent polls: for example, only 0.7% (of 569 respondents) stated that using ProZ.com had decreased their income (with 46.6% saying it was unaffected, and 52.7% that it had gone up). I will ask Henry whether he can provide more (and more statistically sound) information.

I admire your patience and your efforts, but I believe it is naive believing this is enough.

True, which is why I don't believe it is.
But I also think that ProZ.com cannot run a freelancer's business on his/her behalf. One of the major shortcomings we need to address (and are addressing) is the lack of business attitude that I see whenever someone asks the forum what to charge, whereby it is evidently clear that the person has no idea regarding his/her costs and target returns (yet runs a business nevertheless). What are your suggestions to tackling this (other than writing articles, and communicating on a 1-2-1 basis)?

Maybe you could even plan an internal marketing campaign at Proz.com, that would be great and I would be eager to help. I am sure Henry could provide you a space at the homepage for this campaign since many low raters don't read forum postings.

Marketing exactly what?

But, like I have said before, I believe beginners could still charge low rates, but we shouldn't be posting along with them. I am sure even agencies would appreciate if the community was subdivided between low raters (beginners, etc) and professional or full time or established translators.

Assuming such a split jobs area existed, do you really believe only "beginners" would use it? Having seen how experienced freelancers undersell themselves, I don't think so.

Ralf Lemster wrote:

I disagree. Before establishing your terms I am sure you have studied your target audience. IMO clients/audiences establish terms.

I feel we have a semantic difference here. Of course there is a relationship between my (target) client base and the prices I can charge. (In other words, if you don't achieve your target prices, this may be because you're chasing the wrong clients...) Note that a lower price per unit (word, line, ...) doesn't necessarily mean a lower income over time (hour, day,...).

But I define the terms at which I am prepared to take on a specific job.

Best regards,
Ralf

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Poll Dec 28, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,

Apology gladly accepted - for a moment, I felt being cross-examined...

We would need to find out whether this holds true for a significant proportion of Platinum members. It is interesting to contrast the recurring discussions about a perceived erosion of rates with the response to recent polls: for example, only 0.7% (of 569 respondents) stated that using ProZ.com had decreased their income (with 46.6% saying it was unaffected, and 52.7% that it had gone up). I will ask Henry whether he can provide more (and more statistically sound) information.

I ve already suggested a poll about it. I don t think, that there exists such thing as an absolutely free market. Some open economies are very protectionist. Just an opnion, oK?

I admire your patience and your efforts, but I believe it is naive believing this is enough.

True, which is why I don't believe it is.
But I also think that ProZ.com cannot run a freelancer's business on his/her behalf. One of the major shortcomings we need to address (and are addressing) is the lack of business attitude that I see whenever someone asks the forum what to charge, whereby it is evidently clear that the person has no idea regarding his/her costs and target returns (yet runs a business nevertheless). What are your suggestions to tackling this (other than writing articles, and communicating on a 1-2-1 basis)?

Maybe you could even plan an internal marketing campaign at Proz.com, that would be great and I would be eager to help. I am sure Henry could provide you a space at the homepage for this campaign since many low raters don't read forum postings.

Marketing exactly what?

Assuming such a split jobs area existed, do you really believe only "beginners" would use it? Having seen how experienced freelancers undersell themselves, I don't think so.

Ralf Lemster wrote:

I feel we have a semantic difference here. Of course there is a relationship between my (target) client base and the prices I can charge. (In other words, if you don't achieve your target prices, this may be because you're chasing the wrong clients...) Note that a lower price per unit (word, line, ...) doesn't necessarily mean a lower income over time (hour, day,...).

But I define the terms at which I am prepared to take on a specific job.

Best regards,
Ralf

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Platinum" Clients [Mod: How to raise market standards]

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »