Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]
"Platinum" Clients [Mod: How to raise market standards]
Thread poster: Lisa Carter (X)
Ana Cuesta
Ana Cuesta  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:58
English to Spanish
Isn't it a pity that the best jobs are invisible and thoses on the front page paint a different imag Jan 3, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

What I'm trying to get across - with mixed success, obviously - is that looking at posted jobs is not the whole story, as assignments with more attractive rates tend to be posted through the directory.

True, but they are invisible to anyone but the parts involved and so do not do much for the image of ProZ and generally the profession, while the ones which are on show for everyone to see (novice translators and bargaining clients included) are those that keep opening cans of worms in the fora in a daily basis.

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Way to go Dyran Jan 3, 2006

Dyran Altenburg wrote:

(wondering where everyone else went)

Hi Dyran,

I believe you and Ralf are being really constructive, as well as the other colleagues posting.

I will back any ideas raising standards and attracting translation professionals to Proz.com.

Fred

Cristóbal del Río Faura
Cristóbal del Río Faura  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Budget range selector Jan 3, 2006

Ana Cuesta wrote:

My own suggestion would be to introduce a (customary) budget range selector instead of the current (optional) pricing value when posting a job and to make the ranges broad enough so as to segment rather than constrain negotiation, say [up to .06 / from .06 to .12 / from .12 upwards]. The client always has a budget and stating it would serve the original purpose of the pricing option (so that translators don't receive offers under a certain threshold and less time is wasted with out-of-range bids) but still leaving room for negotiation (I find the current take it or leave it approach is somehow alienating and gives the wrong impression to novices).

By setting the first threshold not too low, people would still be free to post/accept bottom-paying jobs but they would not be so prominent as they are right now.

This could be interesting. It is more elaborated and politically correct than my suggested Cheap Job Section. If the aim is to raise the market standard, though, it would be good to design it in a way that oursourcers and translators were encouraged to use the higher budget ranges.

Regards,
Cristóbal

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
a brief holiday break Jan 3, 2006

Dyran Altenburg wrote:
(wondering where everyone else went)

Still hanging on to every word, rest assured

Thanks for the rich discussion, Dyran et al.

Susana

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
fully agree Jan 3, 2006

Cristóbal del Río Faura wrote:
If the aim is to raise the market standard, though, it would be good to design it in a way that oursourcers and translators were encouraged to use the higher budget ranges.

Thanks for this suggestion, Cristóbal.

Susana

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
FAQ edited Jan 4, 2006

Just a note to confirm that ProZ.com staff have promptly updated the FAQ, replacing the last occurrences of "bid" with "quote".

Would anyone discovering references to bidding kindly submit a Support Request, indicating the URL of the relevant page.

Best regards,
Ralf

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some were still missing Jan 5, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Would anyone discovering references to bidding kindly submit a Support Request, indicating the URL of the relevant page.

I just did.

--
Dyran

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Platinum" Clients [Mod: How to raise market standards]

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »