Mobile menu

We may disagree with each other but let’s not attack each other’s personalities.
Thread poster: Jerold Stamp

Jerold Stamp  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:50
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 23, 2001

We may disagree with each other but let’s not attack each other’s personalities.

A recent discussion on the list become rather heated and drifted from the issue at hand to personal attacks against the personalities of ProZ members involved. I’m not going to say manes and my plea is not against any given member of Proz in particular.

I know that probably no good came out of the discussion other than reminding us of our human propensity to err. Interestingly enough, the persons involved are very active at ProZ and have made great contributions to the site.

ProZ is meant for professionals, or so the name “ProZ” would suggest. True professionals take their jobs and these discussions seriously and they should, when talking about translation issues. This particular discussion however drifted from dealing with issues to attacking personalities. This is an on-line discussion and “the world is watching” so to say. I can certainly understand how a person could be offended and taken back by attacks to their personality in a public forum like this one, and I certainly can understand then how that individual would try to defend his image in front of the members of the group. I, for one, use Proz for work and that means feeding and clothing my family and I would take any attack to my person very seriously. This ugly personal aggression, apart from being a serious issue, may also be considered a minor form of “violence” and really has no place on a professional forum.

What would you others recommend we do, however, when someone does make an aggressive personal insult to your person on ProZ. How can, and how should we defend ourselves, and what can be done to prevent it in the first place?

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Websites for Translators
Build your new website, create a set of compelling graphics or find a new branding path with us.

We help both freelance translators and established translation agencies by applying online marketing strategies in the competitive world of languages. Click below to find out more!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs