https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/42265-creating_sub_categories_for_easy_forum_search.html

Creating sub-categories for easy forum search
Thread poster: Dees
Dees
Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:28
English to French
+ ...
Feb 5, 2006

Hi there,

I have a suggestion to make the forum search function easier because I find it quite difficult to look for something at times (are there other people who feel the same?).

With the way the forum search function works (based on Boolean searching), the term(s) I enter can point to forum threads where some people have mentioned my term(s) but the general discussion was not much related to the topic that I was looking for. It is also a bit daunting to see the high
... See more
Hi there,

I have a suggestion to make the forum search function easier because I find it quite difficult to look for something at times (are there other people who feel the same?).

With the way the forum search function works (based on Boolean searching), the term(s) I enter can point to forum threads where some people have mentioned my term(s) but the general discussion was not much related to the topic that I was looking for. It is also a bit daunting to see the high number of results when we search for rather common terms related to our business.

So I suggest that, when a new forum thread is being created, the person chooses a sub-category. For example, I want to post a thread in the "Business Issues" forum and choose the "PO" sub-category (just an example, the sub-category could be broader).

So when someone searches the forum section for threads on POs, they would first see a kind of forum index and click on "Business Issues", then "PO" and see on the next page a list of each thread already opened on the topic (with one entry = one thread). All posts made under a given thread would not be listed on this page (the person would only see a single entry per thread with its title).

What do you think?

Of course, if I'm unaware of a way that is already in place which makes it easy to search forums, please let me know.

Thank you!
Mitsuko

P.S. The advanced search function IS great so I'm not suggesting to replace it but what about creating an extra type of search function like the one explained above?
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 11:28
English to German
+ ...
There is a search tab here Feb 6, 2006

Hi! it is on the left side of the page, and you can mark Terms, Glosspost, Members, Articles etc. just as Forums, and enter the keywords of your search and you will find a list of available topics or informations. Best Brandis

Dees
Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:28
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much, Brandis! Mar 16, 2006

Hi Brandis,

Thank you so much for your help!

I have read on another forum that you underwent a laser surgery on your eyes and everything went well, congratulations!!! So how has your life with new eyes been so far?

Cheers,
Mitsuko

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating sub-categories for easy forum search

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »