https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/42823-proz_the_translators_workplace_bad_example.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
ProZ The Translators Workplace - bad example?
Thread poster: Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:39
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Feb 20, 2006

Surely we of all people should be using apostrophes correctly?

It should be "The Translators' Workplace".

See http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1261372

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:39
English to Polish
I noticed that, too Feb 20, 2006

but as a non-native English speaker I was too shy to raise this problem

Noelia Ruiz Pérez
Noelia Ruiz Pérez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
Keywords Feb 20, 2006

It might have something to do with keywords, search engines etc. It might be easy to get a hit if you search for translators. It is all a Google thing!

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Choices Feb 20, 2006

How about The Translator's Workplace - speaking of the proverbial translator?

Cheers,
Pawel Skalinski

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Confusing Feb 20, 2006

If there is one rule of English grammar, I have a problem with, it's the Norman and Saxon Genetive. I already posted a topic on it (proz.com/topic/40771) , but did not get a conclusive answer to the question when I have to add an ' or an 's'. Being native did not seem to make a difference here,because native speakers could not agree on the matter.

[Edited at 2006-02-20 12:23]

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
same here Feb 20, 2006

Williamson wrote:

If there is one rule of English grammar, I have a problem with, it's the Norman and Saxon Genetive. I already posted a topic on it (proz.com/topic/40771) , but did not get a conclusive answer to the question when I have to add an ' or an 's'. Being native did not seem to make a difference here,because native speakers could not agree on the matter.

See if I can find my question in the KudoZ section a couple of years ago.

Au

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
For William, and other interested parties Feb 20, 2006

Williamson wrote:

[Edited at 2006-02-20 12:23]

I just came across this site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A586640

which should explain in detail how to use the 's' correctly in UK and US English.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks to Pcovs for link. Feb 20, 2006

Thank you! According to Pcovs' source (hope I got that apostrophe right!), in both Britain and the USA, the genitive case plural is the same. If a word ends in the letter 's', or if the final sound in the word is a 'hiss', an apostrophe with no 's' is added to indicate the noun case. The trophy belongs to the heroes, so it is the heroes' trophy. The Centre for the Fine Arts is dedicated to the Arts, so it is the Fine Arts' Centre. The lounge used by the schoolmistresses is the schoolmistresses'... See more
Thank you! According to Pcovs' source (hope I got that apostrophe right!), in both Britain and the USA, the genitive case plural is the same. If a word ends in the letter 's', or if the final sound in the word is a 'hiss', an apostrophe with no 's' is added to indicate the noun case. The trophy belongs to the heroes, so it is the heroes' trophy. The Centre for the Fine Arts is dedicated to the Arts, so it is the Fine Arts' Centre. The lounge used by the schoolmistresses is the schoolmistresses' lounge.

But as this is a UK source, maybe native US-English speakers will disagree with it!
Collapse

John Bowden
John Bowden  Identity Verified
German to English
Translator's Feb 20, 2006

PAS wrote:

How about The Translator's Workplace - speaking of the proverbial translator?

Cheers,
Pawel Skalinski

I agree - this sounds preferable to me. If we take a word with an irregular plural, the singular version sounds much more natural: e.g. "B&Q - The Handyman's First Choice" rather than "..the handymen's..." etc.

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
French to English
+ ...
while I agree entirely.... Feb 20, 2006

I offer the following as food for thought.
I recently wrote a text in which there was a reference to the UNECE. I wrote it in full with "Nation's" for the "N".
I was criticised by everyone who read the text for being over-fussy and told to take the apostrophe out...

Their argument was that even the UN doesn't use it!
see the UN website:

United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Official Web Site.... See more
I recently wrote a text in which there was a reference to the UNECE. I wrote it in full with "Nation's" for the "N".
I was criticised by everyone who read the text for being over-fussy and told to take the apostrophe out...

see the UN website:

United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Official Web Site.
www.unece.org/

How can you stand up for what is good and right when the whole world seemingly wants to do you down (joke)!
Collapse

PB Trans
PB Trans

French to English
+ ...
That's right, Jack Feb 20, 2006

Jack Doughty wrote:

Thank you! According to Pcovs' source (hope I got that apostrophe right!), in both Britain and the USA, the genitive case plural is the same. If a word ends in the letter 's', or if the final sound in the word is a 'hiss', an apostrophe with no 's' is added to indicate the noun case. The trophy belongs to the heroes, so it is the heroes' trophy. The Centre for the Fine Arts is dedicated to the Arts, so it is the Fine Arts' Centre. The lounge used by the schoolmistresses is the schoolmistresses' lounge.

But as this is a UK source, maybe native US-English speakers will disagree with it!

In London, I see this error very often. I don't think the tube stations with the names Earl's Court and Barons Court make it any easier for people to understand. Shouldn't it be Baron's Court? Or if the name is Barons (with an "s"), then shouldn't it be Barons' Court? And why is it Devons Road? No wonder people are confused!

Slightly off topic here, but I still laugh everytime I hear mention of the "Barking Train". Arf arf!

[Edited at 2006-02-20 14:07]

justin C
justin C
United States
Local time: 13:39
English
Search engines don't like the apostrophe in 'The Translators Workplace' Feb 20, 2006

So it was not included for search engine reasons.

Hope that explains it!

Best Regards,
Justin

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:09
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
One can't mangle languages just because a machine can't handle it... Feb 20, 2006

justin wrote:

(Search engines don't like apostrophes....)

So it was not included...
Justin

Hi Justin,

You can't be serious! One can't mangle linguistic rules just because a machnie can't handle them!

In that case, why not chose a grammatically correct phrase that doesn't have the apostrophe, such as:

"The Workplace for Translators"

or some such line?

Best regards,
Bala

CMJ_Trans (X)
CMJ_Trans (X)
French to English
+ ...
then it should be.... Feb 20, 2006

The Translator Workplace

and you avoid the problem altogether

(a sort of collective singular)

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
UN not the same as translators' or translator's Feb 20, 2006

CMJ_Trans wrote:

see the UN website:

United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Official Web Site.
www.unece.org/

How can you stand up for what is good and right when the whole world seemingly wants to do you down (joke)!

UN is used as a modifier. Shouldn't be a possessive in this case, I'm afraid. You wouldn't say the "European Union's Commission on X" but rather the "European Union Commission on X" for instance.

Also "Nation's" would refer to one nation, not the "United Nations" the organization.

Regard's (joking),

Sara

[Edited at 2006-02-20 15:19]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ The Translators Workplace - bad example?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »