Thread poster: Mikhail Kropotov

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:12
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 24, 2006

Where did it come from? Is it there to stay? I thought I'd check with the staff... before venting my full outrage at the prospect!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-02-25 16:04]

Direct link Reply with quote

justin C
United States
Local time: 06:12
English
Are you talking about the top menu bar on the profile pages? Feb 25, 2006

Hi Mikhail!

I am not sure which KudoZ menu you are referring to. Do you mean the top menu bar that is now displayed on profiles?

Best Regards,
Justin

Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:12
English to Polish
I love this change! Feb 25, 2006

I was really glad to see this change introduced. It makes things so much easier!

However, I understand that some Prozians may object to this for reasons stated in the heated discussion here: http://www.proz.com/topic/40379 (i.e. the outsources being able to find competitive translators). Perhaps it would be best if the top menu was an optional feature to be enabled or disabled by the profile owner (as already suggested in the discussion).

Joanna

[Edited at 2006-02-25 11:33]

Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:12
Russian to English
+ ...
Kudoz Menu Feb 25, 2006

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

Where did it come from? Is it there to stay? I thought I'd check with the staff... before venting my full outrage at the prospect!

Mike, are you talking about the "Visitor View"?

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 12:12
Catalan to English
+ ...
KudoZ view Feb 25, 2006

At the risk of seeming a complete idiot, would somone mind explaining what you're talking about?

Thanks,
Andy

Russian Federation
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, the top menu bar that is now displayed on profiles Feb 25, 2006

For reasons previously discussed at length in these forums, I find it extremely detrimental to each Proz member who has put any sort of effort into making his/her page stand out from the rest.

Please indicate whether this feature is going to stay. Thank you.

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
I assume Michael is talking about the fact that the menu bar now appears at the top of profile pages Feb 25, 2006

I assume Michael is talking about the fact that the full menu bar now appears at the top of profile pages. (This was not the case previously.)

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Are you concerned about potential clients being directed to the main site? Feb 25, 2006

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

For reasons previously discussed at length in these forums, I find it extremely detrimental to each Proz member who has put any sort of effort into making his/her page stand out from the rest.

Please indicate whether this feature is going to stay. Thank you.

Hi Michael. Are you concerned about your potential clients being directed to the home page, or elsewhere? As you may know, this is not our point.

Or is it something else about the menu to which you object?

(To answer your question about whether or not it will stay, the menu option is something people have called for, and we have plans for the future for profiles, but implementation is, as usual, open to discussion. (No 'outrage', though, please.)

Fred Neild  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Profile change Feb 25, 2006

Henry wrote:
Hi Michael. Are you concerned about your potential clients being directed to the home page, or elsewhere? As you may know, this is not our point.

Hi Henry,

I am concerned. I think this is not interesting for translators. I hadn't noticed this change. It reminds me of free hosting where you need to have the site's toolbar or advertising to host your site for free. At least I am paying for the profile.

Maybe Platinums could choose to eliminate the menu displaying?

Fred

[Edited at 2006-02-25 16:21]

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
We'll give a member option to remove Feb 25, 2006

Fred Neild wrote:

It was our plan to offer this. If you prefer, I'll remove the menu for now and reinstate after the option is available.

Russian Federation
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the key objection + my proposal Feb 25, 2006

Thank you for editing the post title.

The reasons are numerous and they have been discussed before. Many people voted against this "improvement". Anyway, the key point is this:

My profile is now just that: *A* profile* of *A* translator. It does not speak about me. I am but one of the 140 thousand members of the site.

I do not enjoy such status.

Perhaps the rationale behind adding the menu is to let *members* navigate the site more easily. Then I propose the following change: simply make the menu disappear in the visitor's view. If, however, the rationale is to steal visitors away from individual profile pages and lead them to the site... Well, my wording says it all.

Regards

English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks Feb 25, 2006

Henry wrote:

Fred Neild wrote:

It was our plan to offer this. If you prefer, I'll remove the menu for now and reinstate after the option is available.

This would surely solve the issue for me and I certainly appreciate your quick response.

Thanks
Fred

English to Spanish
+ ...
Hadn't noticed Feb 25, 2006

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-02-25 16:04]

Thanks for bringing up this, I hadn't noticed.

Fred

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
The rationale is to improve site navigation for everyone Feb 25, 2006

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:
Perhaps the rationale behind adding the menu is to let *members* navigate the site more easily. Then I propose the following change: simply make the menu disappear in the visitor's view.

Not exactly. The rationale is to make navigation easier for all site users - members, non-members, visitors, potential clients. We need a slightly more involved solution.
If, however, the rationale is to steal visitors away from individual profile pages and lead them to the site... Well, my wording says it all.

That we would steal visitors from members is an absurd suggestion - ProZ.com is here to do exactly the opposite. As evidence, consider that for six years, the only place on ProZ.com that one could not find the normal menu options was on profile pages. The only reason the menu options have not been there is to prevent distraction when a client arrives at a member's profile. (Compare ProZ.com to every other "profile" site on the Internet, and you will see how unusual we have been in the degree to which we keep focus on the subject of the profile.)

Still, for years, people have been asking us to put the menu in there. So we need to put some conditional form of navigation in there to meet the needs of various parties.

The profile is a very important vehicle for client/translator matching. As I said, we have changes in store, including a new profile format, and we will announce them when they are ready. (This is not the change.)

TranslateThis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Please eliminate the menu in the visitor's view (or at least let us hide it) Feb 25, 2006

Fred Neild wrote:

I agree with Fred. I don't see the need for the menu in my profile. I would prefer not to have it there, or at least to be able to hide it in the visitor's view. Thank you.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Menu appearing on profile pages

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs