Thread poster: Elizabeth Ardans

Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:50
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 1, 2006

I think it could be useful to have access to community rates per country. What do you think?

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 10:50
German to English
Anti-trust restrictions Mar 1, 2006

In the US and in many other countries, discussions of rates among service providers as you suggest are severely restricted in public forums.

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:50
Italian to English
+ ...
agree Mar 1, 2006

Yes, I think by country would be very useful!

Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:50
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't understand Mar 1, 2006

Kevin Fulton wrote:

In the US and in many other countries, discussions of rates among service providers as you suggest are severely restricted in public forums.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your comment.

I don't understand how it would be so different from what we have now. Proz offers community rates info (average, etc.) in general. Why not do so specifying average rates per country? This is not to set rates, but merely for information purposes. It wouldn't be discussed in a public forum, members would have access to that information as we do now.

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:50
It is not the DISCUSSION of rates that is not allowed... Mar 1, 2006

Kevin Fulton wrote:

... In the US, it is the FIXING of rates among competitors in the same filed that the anti-trust law prohibits. But apparently this law discourages a lot of people to simply talk about rates.

However, coming up with "community rates" per country would be something very difficult to do, IMHO. In the US (again), I have seen rates that vary from one cent to 50 cents per word. How would one define a "community rate"?

On the hother hand, the ATA (in the US) has recently published their survey on translation/interpreting rates, available to anyone who wishes to buy it, member or not.

I know of other tanslator/interpreter organizations/associations that compile such surveys, but make them available only to their members.

Do you really want to have information about rates in ALL countries, Elizabeth? If you only want information about the countries where you have clients, I would try an obtain it from local translator/interpreter organization/associations. In most instances it should not be that difficult.

Daniele Martoglio  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:50
Polish to Italian
+ ...
It's one other problem... Mar 2, 2006

Elizabeth Ardans wrote:

I think it could be useful to have access to community rates per country. What do you think?

The problem is that the most of translator offer different rates according with country in which is CLIENT. So if someone live in a "cheap" country but use mainly proz with clients in "richer countries", he/she will have the rate for this richer countries in his/her profil..

So i think the information about "community rates per country" is not inside ProZ archives! With ProZ archives you can just calculate the community rates for example EN>IT translation, in profil page of translator living in Italy. It doesn't mean that it's the rate for ITALIAN CLIENTS. Just the rate offered by "suppliers living in Italy". Offered to whom? God knows!!!

Daniele

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

community rates

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs