Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:38
French to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 1, 2006

Just take a look at:
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1297855
278 questions, 51 open (!?), 0 answers, non-log...
I love to help, but here...
Nice W.E. to all.

[3EQ|Überschrift von Mitarbeiter oder Moderator geändert| 2006-04-01 10:16]

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:38
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How do you know? Apr 1, 2006

I've just seen the question, but I'm not able to see how many questions have been posted by the same asker.

Regards

Clarisa

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Indeed Apr 1, 2006

Indeed it is. That's what freedom is all about, to get the good we have to take the bad also.

Fortunately the good far outweigh the bad.

David Meléndez Tormen
David Meléndez Tormen  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
E-mail sent Apr 1, 2006

Interesting, if you switch to the V3 design it shows he has 35 ungraded questions -dating back to Jan 3, 2005-, versus 51 in the standard design. Still too many, of course.

I sent him an e-mail asking him to close them and refrain from posting new questions until then, with a copy of the KudoZ rules in Spanish.

Regards,
David

[Editado a las 2006-04-01 05:22]

Antoinette Verburg
Antoinette Verburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:38
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
How can you see this? Apr 1, 2006

Hi Juan and David,

No matter which design I choose I can't see the number of questions asked (by a person who was nog logged in, that is). I can imagine that a moderator can somehow see this, but obviously Juan can see it too. So...... I am very curious how you both can see this...?

Regards,
Antoinette

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Mouse-over Apr 1, 2006

Antoinette Verburg wrote:
No matter which design I choose I can't see the number of questions asked (by a person who was not logged in, that is). I can imagine that a moderator can somehow see this, but obviously Juan can see it too. So...... I am very curious how you both can see this...?
Regards,
Antoinette

I can see it too - in the standard design.
But only when I move the cursor over the asker's name.
It seems to be a "mouse-over" function, and it doesn't seem to work in the V3 design.

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
Some things never change? Apr 1, 2006

I haven't played kudoz for a long time... But I understand new regulations are in place to limit the number of questions. I thought quite a few people could squash questions. I thought a lot was talked in the forums about poor quality in kudoz and colleagues would be urge not to answer them.
And I'm still seeing the same shortcomings as before!

J.

Antoinette Verburg
Netherlands
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thank you Apr 1, 2006

Thank you, Victor. That worked.

Regards,
Antoinette

telefpro
telefpro
Local time: 16:08
Portuguese to English
+ ...
How strange! Apr 1, 2006

Sometimes there are many questions not graded. Actually, this whole business of Kudoz questions is of give and take. We should help each other. So, it would be be nice if questions are closed in due time. The system also shows whether the asker has closed his questions or not.

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
I once mentioned this Apr 1, 2006

and was told that the system doesn't allow asking new questions if one has more than five questions open for more than a week. That would be a solution but, as we can see, the system doesn' t work propoerly...

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 07:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Question has been squashed. Apr 1, 2006

I already squashed this question, according to the following:

FROM KUDOZ RULES:
2.4 - In general, askers should refrain from posting a large number of questions in a short period of time. Bear in mind that a question may be sent to several thousand people, and use your judgment

FROM FAQ:
31. ASKING: Is there a limit on the number of questions that I can ask?

Yes. Your daily limit (measured over a sliding 24-hr period) depends on your membership
... See more
I already squashed this question, according to the following:

FROM KUDOZ RULES:
2.4 - In general, askers should refrain from posting a large number of questions in a short period of time. Bear in mind that a question may be sent to several thousand people, and use your judgment

FROM FAQ:
31. ASKING: Is there a limit on the number of questions that I can ask?

Yes. Your daily limit (measured over a sliding 24-hr period) depends on your membership level. If you are not registered with ProZ.com, you can ask one (1) question per day. If you are registered but not member, you can ask five (5). If you are member, you can ask fifteen (15).

32. ASKING: I tend to store up my term questions until the end of a project. Is there any way I can get around the limit?

We believe that the limit of fifteen (15) per day should be high enough for most people. By spreading your questions over the last two days of a project, for example, you can ask thirty (30). If you need more and are a member, you can ask a moderator or site staff to grant a temporary exemption.

==========
I expect you all agree.

Regards,

Walter.
Collapse

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 13:38
English to Romanian
The system does not work properly Apr 1, 2006

Joanna Borowska wrote:

and was told that the system doesn't allow asking new questions if one has more than five questions open for more than a week. That would be a solution but, as we can see, the system doesn' t work properly...

I think it works like that only for registered users. The case discussed here is not registered, so (s)he does not have a KudoZ history, so the system cannot remember those questions (although the number of questions is displayed... strange system behavior, indeed).
My conclusion is that more restrictions should be imposed on non-registered users, as they tend to abuse the system.
Maybe they should be allowed one question per week/month/year instead of one question per day?

Angel Biojo
Angel Biojo
United States
Local time: 03:38
English to Spanish
Questions on Economics Apr 1, 2006

What I have noticed is that since last December, askers of Economics questions have taken over the KudoZ section. There is no room for askers from other fields, or at least they do not appear in that section.

In the meantime I have asked questions on other fields, and yes, I have promptly gotten the answers, but I have never gotten to see them published. How come?

Angel Biojo

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 07:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
same person? Apr 1, 2006

I have noticed, from the names and kind/field of questions, that this guy "carlos" asking so many questios, with 51 still open, is sooooo similar to xxxCarlos_Sanch, former member.

Since none of them have profiles now, it`s imposssible for me to check.

But it looks very likely.

Antoinette Verburg
Netherlands
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Disagree, Walter. Apr 1, 2006

Walter Landesman wrote:
I already squashed this question
(...)
I expect you all to agree.

Well, I don't agree, Walter.
If David Meléndez Tormen, who is a MODERATOR, saw it fit to leave the question as it is and take other measures, then it is not up to an editor to ignore this decision and squash the question (unless you contacted the moderator about this first, and the moderator agreed).
Besides, asking too many questions (or leaving them open for that matter) is not among the valid reasons for squashing a question. In fact, is is among the invalid reasons.

Of course I also detest this kind of Asker behaviour, but unfortunately only the MODERATOR can do something about this... which he has.

Regards,
Antoinette (editor).

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Too many open questions

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »