Years of experience : automatic incrementation?
Thread poster: Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:14
Member (2003)
German to French
Apr 3, 2006

Hi,

I was browsing my profile to see if everything was OK, and stumbled on the little text saying "Years of experience:3", which I completely forgot to update.
Could there be a way of incrementing this number automatically once a year (by entering a date or so)?
Not of utmost importance, but well.

Thanks,
Sylvain

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:44
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Do it manually, I would say Apr 3, 2006

Better still, do not talk about the years of experience. Just say active as translator since 1999 (for example). This would never need updating! See my profile and you will know what I mean.

"I am a freelance German/French translator cum interpreter active from 1975/1978 respectively in the above languages. Being a graduate electrical engineer having worked for 23 years in that capacity, I specialize in translating all types of technical literatures as well as interpreting for the v
... See more
Better still, do not talk about the years of experience. Just say active as translator since 1999 (for example). This would never need updating! See my profile and you will know what I mean.

"I am a freelance German/French translator cum interpreter active from 1975/1978 respectively in the above languages. Being a graduate electrical engineer having worked for 23 years in that capacity, I specialize in translating all types of technical literatures as well as interpreting for the visiting technical experts speaking only German or French."

Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2006-04-03 15:53]
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Yes please Apr 3, 2006

Great observation, Sylvain, I think this should be a matter of course.

Endre

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
automatic incrementation is done at LinkedIN Apr 3, 2006

FYI, the profile page at LinkedIn.com does automatic incrementation based on dates provided for past and current positions. This could help in seeing how to implement it on this site.

Jeff

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:14
German to English
+ ...
Prefer absolute information, not relative Apr 21, 2006

Sylvain Leray wrote:
Could there be a way of incrementing this number automatically once a year (by entering a date or so)?
Not of utmost importance, but well.
Sylvain

This reminds me of a general principle which I think pages such as ProZ profiles should try to adhere to (both the "boiler plate" text from ProZ and the text written by the members): the information posted there should be "absolute", i.e. true in a way that does not depend on *when* it is read.
"Translator since 2002" is absolute in this way, but "4 years' experience" is not. That could perhaps be difficult for a few of us in this case, as a part-time or occasional translator should (I think) claim less than N years' experience in a period of N years.
Maybe a solution is that ProZ should send a reminder email once per year to every member with a profile page.
Oliver

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Years of experience : automatic incrementation?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »