Registering and retreival of dialect information in Kudoz
Thread poster: mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 09:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 21, 2006

(This was first posted via the Support-Suggestions system on Apr 14, 4:28 pm, and is re-posted here to encourage input from other Proz users, since site staff now tell me suggestions submitted via support are not supposed to show up on the forum....)

Hi,

For most of my language pairs there can be significant differences in translations depending on the source and target dialects (or national useage).

The 'answer' form has an optional drop-down for the targ
... See more
(This was first posted via the Support-Suggestions system on Apr 14, 4:28 pm, and is re-posted here to encourage input from other Proz users, since site staff now tell me suggestions submitted via support are not supposed to show up on the forum....)

Hi,

For most of my language pairs there can be significant differences in translations depending on the source and target dialects (or national useage).

The 'answer' form has an optional drop-down for the target dialect. But, when the asker reviews the answers the dialect (if provided by the answerer) is not shown. Nor does it appear in the e-mails received by the asker. Where does this information go? - Where can it be retrieved?

There are no dialect drop-downs in the 'ask a question' form, so the asker can indicate neither the dialect of the source text nor the preferred dialect for the answers. Some askers mention these details in the body of their question, but most, sadly, do not...

Even if a dialect-aware answerer selects a 'target dialect', do they realise that this cannot be seen by the asker? Also, an answerer might know the correct answer in several dialects; how enriching it would be if all that knowledge could be registered *and* retrieved!

I appreciate that a fully-functional dialect-aware system might require a substantial re-writing of Kudoz, but I feel it would greatly enhance the overall value of the system.

So, with that in mind, what do I suggest as 'first steps' ?

1 Put mandatory source and target dialect dropdowns on the 'ask a question' form*.
2 Make the target dialect dropdown in the answerer form mandatory*.
3 Show the asker's source and preferred target dialects as part of the question.
4 Show the answerers' selected target dialect alongside their answers and in the e-mails to askers.
5 Show the dialect data in the Open Glossary.

* The dropdowns should include an 'Any/All/Undefined' option; if selected, a pop-up could invite the user to be more specific if possible or necessary.

Best regards,
MediaMatrix
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Registering and retreival of dialect information in Kudoz

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »