https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/462-new_section_for_conference_interpreting.html

New Section for Conference Interpreting
Thread poster: International Translation Agency Ltd // (X)
International Translation Agency Ltd // (X)
Local time: 21:28
English to French
+ ...
Oct 30, 2001

I\'d like to suggest to Proz.com to open a new section solely dedicated to Conference Interpreting (simultaneous from booth). This new section may discuss both business opportunities and professional issues.

Rachid Titouah

[email protected]

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 15:28
German to English
+ ...
I second that motion Nov 4, 2001

Hear, hear!

Yannick MARCHEGAY
Yannick MARCHEGAY
France
English to French
+ ...
Good idea Nov 18, 2001

It is an excellent idea. I back it.
[addsig]

Alexandra Tussing
Alexandra Tussing  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Aye, Aye! Jan 6, 2002

I certainly support it as well. I am a simultaneous interpreter myself, and I think having a specific section for this specialty will help!

Mary Smith (X)
Mary Smith (X)
Afrihili to Tajik
Me too!!! Jan 6, 2002

Great idea!

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now that everyone agreed... Jan 29, 2002

I had this idea (genius!) of launching a section for S.I. professionals a few weeks ago. Then I got caught with too much work and had no time to post a discussion topic.

Let me ask a couple of questions:

- How is conference interpreting business in your language combinations? I, for one, found that the opportunities are fast shrinking in this sector, unlike translation.

- An other topic: how do you handle dialectal features in a simultaneous in
... See more
I had this idea (genius!) of launching a section for S.I. professionals a few weeks ago. Then I got caught with too much work and had no time to post a discussion topic.

Let me ask a couple of questions:

- How is conference interpreting business in your language combinations? I, for one, found that the opportunities are fast shrinking in this sector, unlike translation.

- An other topic: how do you handle dialectal features in a simultaneous interpreting setup?

Bye for now

Rachid
Collapse

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This S.I. forum lacks a dose of dynamism!!! Jul 1, 2002

My Company organizes in-house skill sharing seminars on a regular basis. Recently we held a one-day session devoted on conference interpreting. Here is the report of \"The Sunday Times of Malta\" - a local newspaper:

International Translation Agency Ltd

Holds an in-house skill-sharing session on conference interpreting

In what has now become a prominent and regular activity aime
... See more
My Company organizes in-house skill sharing seminars on a regular basis. Recently we held a one-day session devoted on conference interpreting. Here is the report of \"The Sunday Times of Malta\" - a local newspaper:

International Translation Agency Ltd

Holds an in-house skill-sharing session on conference interpreting

In what has now become a prominent and regular activity aimed at enhancing the skills of its team and keeping abreast with new challenges, International Translation Agency Ltd held, last Friday, its annual skill-sharing session at the SAS Radisson. The main theme was “Conference Interpreting Skills and Techniques”.

Several presentations were made on a variety of aspects of simultaneous interpreting specific to various language combinations.

Interpreting from English to Maltese was the subject developed by Ms. Fiona Navarro, which topic subsequently dominated the discussions. The basic problem raised was which “Maltese” should the interpreter use? This question is related, on one hand, to the inherent nature of Maltese being a “borrower” language and, on the other hand, to the fact that “pure” Maltese is oftentimes not the kind of language readily understood by those availing themselves of the interpreting service.

Ms. Simona Marchetti tackled the specificities of English-Italian interpreting. Given the fact that Italian is relatively well understood by the Maltese population, it was noted that most interpreting from and into Italian is required when the conference theme is of a highly technical nature. This raises the issue of the lack of specialized interpreters available due to limited human resources and the scarcity of theme-specific interpreting assignments.

In his presentation, Dr. Mustapha Hingari outlined the problems encountered in an English-Arabic interpreting set-up. More than the terminological issues arising with the advent of new technologies, even a well prepared interpreter still faces the dilemma of not being understood by the listener who, in certain fields, is more familiar with the terms in English or French than in Arabic.

Consecutive interpreting has its own characteristics and difficulties that were outlined by Ms. Cornelia Wehmer. “Memory is essential to this kind of exercise”, she said, “and to do a good job one must rely on special memory aids”. Sharing her precious experience in this field with the English-German combination, she suggested some valuable techniques to optimize the use of short-term memory and render the speaker’s discourse to the best.

Discussing the distinct natures of prepared (written) speeches and spontaneous (oral) presentations, Mr. Rachid Titouah defined the intra-lingual and inter-lingual interpreting processes and then reviewed the difficulties of juggling between these types of discourse. He offered advice on overcoming these difficulties and stressed the need to use various approaches in discourse analysis, appropriate time management, working memory and mental energy.

Prof. Joe Eynaud closed the session on a performance assessment note drawing up a list of good performance criteria. He emphasized that one should be aware of the speaker’s and listener’s cultural and social norms prior to rendering the speaker’s message as faithfully as possible.

Most importantly, all those present concurred that interpreters should spare no effort in order to serve their audience to the best of their professional ability. After all an interpreter is, by definition, a “facilitator”.

Do you encounter any of the issues/difficulties tackled by my colleagues in this seminar?

Let\'s hope this topic will take off fort he benefit of all conference interpreters!

Bye for now

Rachid
Collapse

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hola Rachid :-)) Jul 5, 2002

Good suggestion !!!

Take good care,

José Luis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Section for Conference Interpreting

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »