Moderators' reminders of Proz rules to a user
Thread poster: xxxIreneN
xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 07:10
English to Russian
+ ...
May 19, 2006

Recently I have reacted to the article in Viktoria Gimbe's post. The article stated clearly that science manuals are among the translation opportunities waiting for housewives to profit on. I didn't say it, the article's author did. The housewives happen to be Indian. I didn't make it up, I took it from the original. Indian (or Russian, French, Mongolian etc. was incidental for the point of my post in the opinion of any reasonable person). I merely joked implying to give way to brilliant translators with such professional background. However, my post didn't appear (no big deal) but I also received the message from Proz moderator, and that's where the fun starts.

In several exchanges with Proz moderators when the subject was on a nice or neutral or seriously professional side, even a controversial one, I always heard from THE Moderator, Mr. or Ms/Mrs such and such. Yet when I'm being nuzzled into another Proz rule, it's always A moderator.
I do not mind accepting the reprimands and apologizing when wrong but anonymous judgements give me the right to believe that that person's decision and rule application were strictly subjective, and an overall manner of cutting posters off by somebody hiding behind indefinite "A" looks like an abuse of moderator's privileges for personal reasons and preferences. My first instance proved me right. Same here - I did not appreciate the only possible implied occusation at all and I want to know the name of A moderator. Just for the heck of it.

I'm really interested to hear what others think about it.

Respectfully,
Irene

[Edited at 2006-05-19 22:55]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:10
English to German
+ ...
I rejected your posting May 19, 2006

Hi Irene,
It was me who did not vet your posting, based on forum rule no. 8:

8. No attacks

Personal attacks on groups or individuals, discussing the personal behavior of other users or inhibiting any person in any way from enjoying the service, is prohibited.

You are right: these messages should indicate the moderator who initiated them. IIRC this was suggested before; I will add another request.

Best regards,
Ralf

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:10
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Explanation May 19, 2006

Hi Irene

However, my post didn't appear (no big deal) but I also received the message from ProZ.com moderator, and that's where the fun starts.

For those who are subject to vetting the moderator of that forum must decide whether to approve or not their posting.

In any case, the not yet visible posting is visible for all moderators. When there's something that seems could be against the rules, moderators discuss it before taking a decision. A decision of not making visible a posting is seldom a decision of one single moderator. We're all humans and we don't like to make wrong decisions. The other mods are there to tell us whether they feel the same.

And it works fine.

When the decision is taken not to approve a posting, we have the option to send a message to the poster to inform about the decision. These are templates with the list of the rules and we only have to chose which rule to invoke.

Maybe the way it's written should be corrected, and "a moderator" should be changed by "the moderators", we can discuss that, but not really the decision.

And if you think that the decision was unfair and you weren't breaching the mentionned rule, in that case you can send a Support Request to Staff.

Hope it helps

Claudia

xxxIreneN
United States
Local time: 07:10
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Ralf and Claudia May 20, 2006

It's just that sometimes when I read things like that article I feel like.. crying or fighting... I don't know... but such blatant attacks on our profession hit me hard and it feels stupid and helpless not to be able to fight back because of "political correctness". Where is No Attacks rule there??? It's always harder to be on a defense side..

Just 4 hours ago I rejected an offer from very old friends, an agency. We go back 15 years, they trust me and my recommendations on a spot without testing. The job was rush, editing, heavily technical. They were prepared to give it to me, I worked on close subjects and similar equipment for them, spent countless hours, days, years just reading and learning and would take it for translation without hesitation yet having no formal technical background I would never accept technical EDITING of such level of difficulty and assume final responsibility, it would be a professional crime - I have never wrote any original technical papers myself. I see what I miss when I get the feedback from technical editors - little serious corrections, never a "rewrite" (sure, not without flops:-) once in a while) yet those "simple" touches, for which God created technical editors, make it a final and not so bad product. Mind that my editors are superb professionals and they do not reject me. As much as I need some extra money at the moment I re-read the original and said "no". I have a few questions myself, how can I edit it, rush?! +being busy with other assignments along the way. Having been lucky in meeting with and working under real professional editors I'm very skeptical about "editing" skill in every translator's resume. Rewriting it your style is soooooooooo far from Editing. Oh, God, here I go again...

Then articles like that come your way...

From Google "references" alone (and some questions and rates here) it feels like a professional community should get tougher and grow stronger safeguarding the market and the mankind:-) from... those we may not dare to offend.

My true respect,
Irene

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:40
English to Tamil
+ ...
Perhaps a posting without indicating specific groups would have been permitted May 20, 2006

Dear Irene,

The article seems to be interesting. How about resending it removing all specific references to groups? The article seems to suggest the employment -as translators- of persons just knowing two languages cursorily. If that were the case, it is a dangerous trend and is to be discouraged.

By the way having the forum posting vetted by a moderator is not bad. Presently, as a member with verified ID, my postings appear instantaneosuly, but if they turn out to be objectionable, they get hidden and I get a letter to this effect. No problem, but I just want to point out that there are 2 sides to the coin and vetting by a moderator does take some strain off the poster.

I take this opportunity to draw the attention of the moderators to the hiding of a posting of mine on grounds of its being a whistle-blower. I refer to my posting on Harry Potter sixth book, wherein I lamented the death of Dumbledore. At that time it was rightly hidden as it was improper on my part to have revealed the plot of a book that was published just a week earlier. And I humbly accepted the verdict. But now, after one year, it can surely no longer be a whistleblower?

Could it be made visible now or am I required to post a new topic? I am sure there are thousands of Dumbledore's supporters out there, who are equally if not more indignant than I on the fate of this great soul?

How about it Claudia and Ralf?

Regards,
N.Raghavan

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Still blew a whistle... May 20, 2006

Hi Narasimhan,

I take this opportunity to draw the attention of the moderators to the hiding of a posting of mine on grounds of its being a whistle-blower. I refer to my posting on Harry Potter sixth book, wherein I lamented the death of Dumbledore.

Thanks, mate - haven't had a chance to read the book...

At that time it was rightly hidden as it was improper on my part to have revealed the plot of a book that was published just a week earlier. And I humbly accepted the verdict. But now, after one year, it can surely no longer be a whistleblower?

I'd suggest to contact the moderator who hid it at the time.
Please bear in mind, however, that there may be more people like me...

Cheers, Ralf

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:10
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
To Ralf Lemster May 20, 2006

I hope you have either already read, or have no desire to read, "The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes" (published 1893), because I revealed an important element of the plot of one of the stories in it, "The Adventure of the Final Problem", in my post in the thread about the Harry Potter book.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 10:10
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
To Jack Doughty May 20, 2006

Thanks for tha laugh, Jack

Claudia

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Thanks for the warning, Jack... May 21, 2006

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moderators' reminders of Proz rules to a user

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs