New profile format --- lost prominence for 'years experience'
Thread poster: Tony M

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:57
French to English
+ ...
May 26, 2006

While I welcome most of the layout improvements in the new design profile page, I do feel it is a backward step to have rather buried the 'years experience' in the main body.

I had to look around for ages to find it the other day, and I've always considered this quite an important element that should be relatively prominent.

Direct link Reply with quote

Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:57
English to French
+ ...
Thanks Tony! May 26, 2006

I agree with you.

I also have another comment while we're here (I hope you don't mind, Tony ). It would be great if the contact info page also displayed a "Send email to this person" link.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Contact page DOES have e-mail link May 26, 2006

Mitsuko Moine wrote:
It would be great if the contact info page also displayed a "Send email to this person" link.

No, I don't mind at all, it's a good suggestion --- but in fact, the 'Contact' page DOES have an e-mail link -- it's that little envelope at the top centre.

But I do wholeheartedly agree that it would be more useful if it was a LOT more prominent!

Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Thanks, agree! May 26, 2006

Yes, it could be more prominent.

Cheers!

Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree! May 27, 2006

I suggested greater prominence of the email icons a while back (http://www.proz.com/post/330799#330799) so obviously agree with that suggestion.

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:57
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Totally agree with you Tony! May 27, 2006

This info should be prominent. It is too far buried now and not easily visible.

Thanks for starting the thread.
Lucinda

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NOW IT'S GONE ALTOGETHER!!! Jun 25, 2006

I see that the 'years experience field is now gone altogether!

You only get it back (along with a load of other more-or-less relevant dross) if you click on 'Standardized information' — and jst how many visitors are going to bother to do that, or even understand what it means.

I really deplore that way the new profile format has suppressed or made less prominent certain information fields, and I for one am going to change back to using the old format.

With all the razzle-dazzle of the new format, isn't there a way we can priortize for ourselves and choose which fields to display? Obviously, we don't want our pages cluttered up with empty field headers; but to be able to choose which of the 'standardized information' fields appear on the main profile page would seem to me a very useful, not to say vital, feature

Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:57
Member (2005)
English to Russian
+ ...
What is more... Jun 25, 2006

Do you realize, Tony, that only the new profile is linked to from pages like the directory, kudoz leaders, etc? The old profiles are going to be phased out, and the process has already begun.

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Even worse! Jun 25, 2006

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:

...only the new profile is linked to from pages like the directory, kudoz leaders, etc? The old profiles are going to be phased out...

Yes, that's what makes it even worse — we don't even have the choice any more!

I've spent a lot of this afternoon trying to find a good way round it, but without success.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New profile format --- lost prominence for 'years experience'

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs