Mobile menu

ProZ main page layout: what luverly advertising (but where did the content go?)
Thread poster: Victor Dewsbery

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:56
German to English
+ ...
May 30, 2006

Do the advertising banners really have to be so big?
On my 19" screen, the browser window has an effective display height of 20 cm.
Starting from the top, there is almost 4 cm for the navigation band with the advertising banner, a further 3 cm for the title and introductory sentence, then a further 6 cm for a massive advertising splash inviting me to take out a subscription (another one, on top of the one I already have?), then another 2 cm for white space and heading. So the actual content is squeezed into the bottom 5 cm (a mere quarter of the browser window height). If I want to see more, I have to scroll for it.
I hope that an improved layout will soon be developed.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jason Grimes
Local time: 11:56
SITE STAFF
Homepage ad no longer shown to members May 30, 2006

Hi Victor,

Of course you're right that it makes little sense to show the big membership advertisement to you since you are already a member. I have made a change that should cause that ad to no longer be shown to existing members. Thanks for your feedback.

Best regards,

Jason

Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 30, 2006

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your prompt attention to this.

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
ha Jason again May 30, 2006

After a very long time, we hear from you . Great. Brandis

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Homepage on the blink May 31, 2006

I do find it annoying though that the advertising is flashing. It's smaller now, but I am a member and I still have this advertisement flashing around at two locations when I just want to check what's new on the forums or job section.

Would it be possible to not have these TWO ads flashing, asking me to sign up? I signed up years ago. Especially the one on the left is annoying because you cannot scroll away from it.

Btw - What happened to the Kudoz short overview though? It's disappeared.

Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow, what a whopper!!!! Jun 7, 2006

Do you really need to crowd everything else off the screen just to make sure we see the advertising?

I recently protested about the 6 cm high membership advert on the home page. You solved that problem ....

But I hadn't seen anything yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

THE LATEST SDL TRADOS SPLASH IS A SEVEN AND A HALF CENTIMETRES HIGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Sorry about shouting, but that sentence was not nearly as loud as the latest ad).

In my innocence, I come to ProZ for the content. I accept advertising, but not if advertising is all that I can see.

So please do something about it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ main page layout: what luverly advertising (but where did the content go?)

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs