Mobile menu

Could you make e-mails not collectable by spammers?
Thread poster: xxxMihai Badea
xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
May 31, 2006

Hi,

I think the “Contact” tab in the new profile design is great. The visitor has now a prominent place where he/she can find all the contact information. However, some of us hesitate to publish their e-mails there because they could be collected by the spammers. Would it be possible for you to give us an option to make our e-mails not collectable by spammers (i.e. a non-text format - GIF etc.)?

Thanks,
Mihai

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Good idea, but... May 31, 2006

Mihai Badea wrote:
Would it be possible for you to give us an option to make our e-mails not collectable by spammers (i.e. a non-text format - GIF etc.)?

A good idea for Platinum members. In fact, one could have a CAPTCHA-type of image dynamically created everytime someone visits the page, or alternatively have a static GIF which is created when the profile is updated.

However, spammers are getting cleverer and cleverer, and methods which used to work, may no longer work.

A neat trick I've used on the Lantra Gallery is to mix Cyrillic and Latin font letters that look the same (but then you must hope your visitor doesn't just copy and paste the address into this e-mail client). Obviously you can't use this trick for hyperlinked addresses.

xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
E-mail under the contact tab Jun 1, 2006

Thanks for your answer, Samuel.

Therefore, spammers could collect e-mails even if they are in GIF format… Actually, that’s not such a big surprise considering that now we can convert ourselves different formats into text using the OCR technology.

If there is little hope to have our e-mails displayed without the risk of being collected by the spammers, I hope it will be at least possible to have a link to the contact form available in the old design.

[Edited at 2006-06-01 12:56]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could you make e-mails not collectable by spammers?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs