Mobile menu

Larger context field for KudoZ questions needed to avoid pranksters.
Thread poster: Marijke Mayer

Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sep 1, 2002

So often I find myself or see fellow translators in all language fields scramble to answer any given question, only to see them struggle in guessing what is meant by just the one word.

It really is crazy. Who are these people anyway and where do they come from? They fill in one word, which could be anything, and then probably sit back laughing. I don\'t really feel like answering questions to anybody else than fellow translators.

Last night I did some extensive research on the Internet to find the meaning of the word \'coglionazza\'. Today I received one positive peer comment only to find that the question had disappeared, no doubt quoshed by a colleague.

I feel this may be avoided by having potential askers feel out a full field of context. If the field is not full, then the question cannot be asked. Period! This way we may avoid pranksters. The other alternative would be to have all questions reviewed first, which is not an option.

How do you all feel about this, and what can we do to avoid pranksters?????

Marijke

Direct link Reply with quote

Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:23
German to English
+ ...
context Sep 11, 2002

I don\'t necessarily think it\'s pranksters that post context-less questions. More likely they are people who don\'t realise what translation is about and that words can have different meanings and different uses depending on the surrounding text and the effect you want to achieve.

I wouldn\'t lose any sleep over the matter. If you feel unable to answer a question due to lack of context or such a question just makes you sigh or despair, then just move on to the next one and forget it.

You\'re right, though, that ProZ is essentially for professionals (hence the name), so feel free not to answer questions posted by non-professionals (or indeed un-professionals). It\'s your prerogative whether you answer or not.

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not really Sep 11, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-09-11 14:02, polymath wrote:

You\'re right, though, that ProZ is essentially for professionals (hence the name [...]

The name is kind of a misnomer. ProZ is literally for everyone, which means most users are *not* professionals. Questions are also posted from external websites by people who probably don\'t even know what this website is really about. (*)

(*) AFAIK though, only registered users can ask \"pro\" questions. The rest are all labeled as \"easy\".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Larger context field for KudoZ questions needed to avoid pranksters.

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs