Mobile menu

Seach translator by city/town
Thread poster: Aleksandr Okunev
Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 11:02
English to Russian
Jul 6, 2006

Our profile has a field where we specify town (at least I see Bobruisk in mine).
Freelancer search page has only one town - «Any».
This year I tried and failed to find a Spanish/English-to-Russian interpreter in St.Petersburg, Russia and earlier on a Chinese-Russian translator in Minsk.

I wonder how many clients don't find a translator because this feature is not available.

Please, implement it soon.

Thank you.
Aleksandr


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:02
Partial member
Spanish
+ ...
Agree Jul 6, 2006

Absolutely.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
Swedish
+ ...
Good suggestion! Jul 6, 2006

Hi Aleksandr,

Thanks for the good suggestion. I totally agree.

This is not only a good idea for clients, but also for translators who maybe want to know what other ProZ members there are in the region.

Maybe it's possible to link this with the latitude and longitude data from the new profile layout, say "Searching for translators within 10/50/100/200 km distance" or something similar.

Erik

**********************************
Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail info@hansson.de
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.technical-translators.net
Internet www.wintitus.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654
***********************************


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:02
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
And random too Jul 7, 2006

Once this is implemented, hopefully, I think another good improvement would be to have the list of names appear in random order (in case there is more than one name) so it does not show the same people at the top of the list all the time.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:02
English to French
+ ...
An alternative to listing according to Kudoz points? Jul 7, 2006

Luisa Ramos wrote:

Once this is implemented, hopefully, I think another good improvement would be to have the list of names appear in random order (in case there is more than one name) so it does not show the same people at the top of the list all the time.


Hi Luisa, do you mean an alternative to listing translators/interpreters according to Kudoz points?

I have been thinking about it too! I guess that would trigger a heated debate...




[Edited at 2006-07-07 13:51]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 11:02
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
A note Jul 7, 2006

Erik Hansson wrote:
**********************************
Erik Hansson ( SFÖ )
Technical translator DE-SV
Hansson Übersetzungen GmbH
Am Birkenwäldchen 38
D-01900 Bretnig-Hauswalde, Germany
Phone +49 - 3 59 52 - 321 07
Fax +49 - 3 59 52 - 322 02
E-Mail info@hansson.de
Internet www.hansson.de
Internet www.technical-translators.net
Internet www.wintitus.de
ProZ profile http://www.proz.com/pro/21654
***********************************


Erik, do you think all this is really necessary when you post anything at forum?..


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 11:02
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
No debate Jul 7, 2006

Mitsuko Moine wrote: Hi Luisa, do you mean an alternative to listing translators/interpreters according to Kudoz points?
I have been thinking about it too! I guess that would trigger a heated debate...


The debate will end as it has always ended: no change in rating.

I find it strange that someone within Proz team decided to rank freelancers by their Kudoz points, nothing else.

When I start my own site for freelancers what I will do is provide a set of convenient tools allowing clients to find service providers who surely and really match their requirements by a number of criteria, including town they live in, BTW.

Cheers,
Aleksandr


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 11:02
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Self-promotion Jul 7, 2006

Kirill Semenov wrote: Erik, do you think all this is really necessary when you post anything at forum?..

One of the most straightforward techniques.
I've seen finer specimen of outrageous and shameless self-promotion on Proz forums. (A personal attack).
Stay well
Aleksandr


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seach translator by city/town

Advanced search






SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs