Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 15:43
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Nov 9, 2001

Hi everybody,

It seems that non-prozies askers never (or almost never) grade answered questions. Well, yesterday we had a pretty busy day in the pair IT>GER with several similar questions, posted by different askers (but I guess only the name was different ) sometimes through a linked site, sometimes not, and in poor Italian (and this is a compliment ). Forget about the well-dealt subject easy-silly questions, because this isn\'t my point: I decided to click on the upper reference to a so-called-\"uebersetzungbuero.at\" link and surfed to the home page of a supposed-to-be translation agency. There was a very nice bla, bla about the services offered (language, German only), but I felt I could read between the lines... Anyway, none of my concerns: On the left upper side of this page there was a statement like \"ask experts online and receive an answer per email\". I clicked on that and the Proz.com-KudoZ-page popped up: choose source language, target language, which sentece or word to be translated, which field, which context, several references to Proz.com, BUT no reference to WHAT KudoZ are and HOW KudoZ work.

Well, we shouldn\'t be surprised if our answered questions are then never closed & graded.

I think there\'s a stack missing, that is the one part explaining what an asker is supposed to do in turn, after having had so many answers from so many Prozies willing to help.

Another point (definitely for pair IT>GER, but I fear for EN>IT and EN>GER) is the fact that Prozies\' nicks and names are (mis?)used by some outsiders... intentionally? I can\'t tell, but for sure you read a familiar nick or name.... and there you are already checking the net, your notes, your dictionaries for them... little occult brain wash...??? Never mind, I am far from being polemical, this is really a little unimportant note, I guess, but I felt I had to write about this, too.

Giuliana

Direct link Reply with quote

Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
links to ProZ Nov 9, 2001

you are right, and I have found the same mask for putting questions in ProZ on another website - I am sorry I don\'t remember which one it was, I was in a hurry and did not pay so much attention, but I was also astonished... Well, that means that our service is well appreciated all around, but that does not mean it should be misused - ok if other websites use them, but who we are and who is answering should also be clearly mentioned and promoted, in that case we would somehow still profit of it... To become The Experts on the Net for Translations!

Ciao

Gilda

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:43
SITE FOUNDER
The idea behind: "Ask the pros" Nov 15, 2001

Thanks, reymarktco, that is the idea--to become known as the experts on the net for translation.

To do so, we need to handle non-proz askers a little differently. It is true that they don\'t grade as frequently as ProZ.com members. But it is not true to say that they almost never grade. They usually grade.

You will notice that non-ProZ members can only ask \'easy\' questions. So you can avoid contact with these questions by changing your email settings so that notification of \'easy\' questions is not sent to you.

xxxH.A.
English to Russian
+ ...
"cancel your answer" option Nov 15, 2001

Having jumped in here just a couple of weeks ago, I find KudoZ to be a \"translator fitness center\" and a good prophylaxis against translator\'s Altzheimer\'s. May I suggest some improvements, if feasible:

(a) \"cancel your answer\" button that would allow one to delete one\'s answer after it is posted? sometimes it is really what you\'d want to do. E.g. you come up with an answer only to find out that as you were typing, 2 or 3 answers in exact same wording have been already posted and, having unknowingly repeated their answer, you look either as a KudoZ-horse or a village idiot. Or sometimes you post an answer and then realize you have just blurted out a wrong answer.

(b) in the peers\' grading options, can we have \"I doubt, because:\" along with \"agree/disagree/neutral\"?

It may help to eliminate some of the \"negative energy\" that sometimes appears in the otherwise close-knit language communities.

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is easy to say "thank you" and it makes you feel better Nov 16, 2001

Actually, my main point wasn\'t the fact that answered questions are not graded and closed or how many of them are not: I realized by chance that there is no \"descriptive page\" prior to the sending of a request/question, so no reasons for complaining about open questions staying open for ages. Let\'s say I look for the traslation of a word and end up on an \"online dictionary\": well, I would like to know whether is a machine doing the job or a group of living dictionaries, just for having the chance to say \"thank you\".

Giuliana
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Askers outside Proz Community

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs