Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 22:22
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jul 15, 2006

I post this here as well, since this is a suggestion for improving the profile, and will result in improved comminication between translators and customers/clients.

I use MS Messenger, and in the latest version it is possible to call another PC, just like Skype. It is also possible to use video conversations (like Skype).

The thing is that I believe that Messenger is more common than Skype, and that the integration of Messenger in the ProZ.com profile should be more lik
... See more
I post this here as well, since this is a suggestion for improving the profile, and will result in improved comminication between translators and customers/clients.

I use MS Messenger, and in the latest version it is possible to call another PC, just like Skype. It is also possible to use video conversations (like Skype).

The thing is that I believe that Messenger is more common than Skype, and that the integration of Messenger in the ProZ.com profile should be more like "Skype me!". Just displaying messenger id is not enough. It should be easier to contact a translator through Messenger and/or through the new PC to PC call system.

Since I became a member I have only been contaced by regular phone and/or email through Proz. It is a bit strange that Messenger is not used when you think about how common it is...and I believe that pressing one button to send email is a lot easier than copying the Messenger username manually into Messenger to contact.

This is just a tip for possible improvment on one of Proz most important feature: To enable contact between the people in this business.
Collapse

Tadej Kokalj
Tadej Kokalj  Identity Verified
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
MSN Messenger is already supported Jul 15, 2006

Hi!

MSN Messenger is already supported (BTW I have it in my profile).
With new Messenger is possible to call another computer, but it is possible to call a "normal" phone, like with Skype (SkypeOut)?

Regards,
Tadej

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know Jul 15, 2006

Tadej Kokalj wrote:

Hi!

MSN Messenger is already supported (BTW I have it in my profile).
With new Messenger is possible to call another computer, but it is possible to call a "normal" phone, like with Skype (SkypeOut)?

Regards,
Tadej

I know, but when I press the Messenger button in your profile it produses a pop-up window. Then I will have to copy and paste before I can contact you. This is bothersome, and most people with go for the email alternative I suppose...

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:22
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I took messenger out of my profile Jul 15, 2006

It was used to find addresses and send spam not via profile, as it reveals the electronic address.

I took it off and I also stopped using it because I got too many undesirable messages (independent from having it in the profile).

Skype filters much better who you might want to contact you or not.

I agree that contacts must be easy, but I dislike being contacted for "serious" jobs via messenger or skype by people who are not willing to send "serious" e-mails
... See more
It was used to find addresses and send spam not via profile, as it reveals the electronic address.

I took it off and I also stopped using it because I got too many undesirable messages (independent from having it in the profile).

Skype filters much better who you might want to contact you or not.

I agree that contacts must be easy, but I dislike being contacted for "serious" jobs via messenger or skype by people who are not willing to send "serious" e-mails. I keep these means for chating, checking availability, otherwise I prefer e-mails, even if they are very straightforward.

Claudia
Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You're right Jul 15, 2006

I just removed Messenger from my profile (and my computer). E-mail is a better form of communication.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 23:22
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I use only Skype Jul 15, 2006

(mostly chat-wise), from established clients I also receive job offers via Skype, submit quotes, ask for explanations, contact tralslators, etc. I find Skype the best- I instantly see who's online- actually to do/settle things via Skype takes just few minutes where e-mails take hours.

About the Messenger- I discontinued using it few years ago, so I don't know, maybe it's improved now, but when I used it I got heaps of spam via it (maybe some 70-80% of a total messages), OTOH, I have
... See more
(mostly chat-wise), from established clients I also receive job offers via Skype, submit quotes, ask for explanations, contact tralslators, etc. I find Skype the best- I instantly see who's online- actually to do/settle things via Skype takes just few minutes where e-mails take hours.

About the Messenger- I discontinued using it few years ago, so I don't know, maybe it's improved now, but when I used it I got heaps of spam via it (maybe some 70-80% of a total messages), OTOH, I have not yet received any spam via Skype, only offers to chat from some people I had not any interest to chat with, but that count is less than 10 during all the time I use Skype (and yes, anyone can contact me, otherwise putting my Skype contact into my business signature wouldn't make any sense).

Uldis

[Edited at 2006-07-15 20:17]
Collapse

MariusV
MariusV  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
I prefer Skype Jul 15, 2006

Used both - skype and MSN, but I like skype more for it simplicity and "user-friendliness". MSN is a typical Microsoft stuff - permanent updates when you have to download them a dozen of minutes, MSN's navigation (control) is quite a mess (you have to use your imagination to find what is what and where is where)...In simple words - skype is just "1,2,3", and MSN is to complicated to use for me. The only advantage of MSN is a video conversation, but I actually do not need it...So, I am for Skype ... See more
Used both - skype and MSN, but I like skype more for it simplicity and "user-friendliness". MSN is a typical Microsoft stuff - permanent updates when you have to download them a dozen of minutes, MSN's navigation (control) is quite a mess (you have to use your imagination to find what is what and where is where)...In simple words - skype is just "1,2,3", and MSN is to complicated to use for me. The only advantage of MSN is a video conversation, but I actually do not need it...So, I am for Skype without any question.Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
As I work long hours Jul 15, 2006

I actually cannot afford such a "luxury" as video- I can't be expected to wear a tie all the time

But latest versions of Skype actually does have a video option together with voice conversation- I never have tried it out, as I don't have a Web-cam, but I have heard from people that it works OK.

Cheers,
Uldis

MariusV wrote:
The only advantage of MSN is a video conversation, but I actually do not need it...So, I am for Skype without any question.

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
different instant messengers for text chat, voice, video Jul 16, 2006

MariusV wrote:

Used both - skype and MSN, but I like skype more for it simplicity and "user-friendliness". MSN is a typical Microsoft stuff - permanent updates when you have to download them a dozen of minutes, MSN's navigation (control) is quite a mess (you have to use your imagination to find what is what and where is where)...In simple words - skype is just "1,2,3", and MSN is to complicated to use for me. The only advantage of MSN is a video conversation, but I actually do not need it...So, I am for Skype without any question.

I have been using Skype, Yahoo IM, MSN, AOL IM for a few years, and especially Skype and Yahoo for voice over the past 2 years.
As stated above, I've found MSN is a real pain to install and set up, and just doesn't work very well. Yahoo IM with Voice good, but you still have to play with the settings to get the microphone to work. I've set up skype on at least 10 computers over the past 2 years and never had a problem, and usually had to use it immediately for conference calls within a few minutes of setting it up. Never had a problem with it when I was installing the last fully tested versions.

MSN has traditionally had the best video streaming, that is when you get the thing to work. Yahoo IM had OK video streaming. Skype now has it as well but I haven't used it yet.

I also have Google Talk, but can't find anyone who uses it.

Jeff

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:22
English to Hungarian
+ ...
You don't have to have a Web-cam... Jul 22, 2006

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

I actually cannot afford such a "luxury" as video- I can't be expected to wear a tie all the time

But latest versions of Skype actually does have a video option together with voice conversation- I never have tried it out, as I don't have a Web-cam, but I have heard from people that it works OK.

Cheers,
Uldis

MariusV wrote:
The only advantage of MSN is a video conversation, but I actually do not need it...So, I am for Skype without any question.

...to receive video pictures on Skype.
Of course, you can't send them, but you can receive them!
I am not sure if you need Media Player or not, and I suppose you have to update your Skype, but it works well.
Try it with somebody who has a Web-cam. I don't have one either, so I can't offer demonstrations.

Cheers,
Judith

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Messenger-just like Skype

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »