BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2006

Dear all,

I've just been awarded points for a question whose criteria (based on ProZ's setup) I did not meet.

May I suggest a change from "Does not meet criteria" to something more positive (i.e. Has not selected or specified this field as a working field).

We are limited to select among a certain number of fields, when in reality many of us voluntarily choose to do so for other reasons. It also limits the Asker's options, not just ours.

"Doe
... See more
Dear all,

I've just been awarded points for a question whose criteria (based on ProZ's setup) I did not meet.

May I suggest a change from "Does not meet criteria" to something more positive (i.e. Has not selected or specified this field as a working field).

We are limited to select among a certain number of fields, when in reality many of us voluntarily choose to do so for other reasons. It also limits the Asker's options, not just ours.

"Does not meet criteria" is a very strong expression. Perhaps you can rephrase it in the future.

Regards,
Belkis
Collapse

Ma. Alejandra Padilla-LaCour

Claudia Luque Bedregal
Claudia Luque Bedregal  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree Jul 21, 2006

Belkis Díaz-Vidaillet wrote:

Dear all,

"Does not meet criteria" is a very strong expression. Perhaps you can rephrase it in the future.

Regards,
Belkis

Hi Belkis,

I agree with your suggestion. It'd be nice if it could be rephrased to something more positive.

Regards,
Claudia

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
It doesn't bother me Jul 22, 2006

It doesn't bother me, at least no more.

I think that many non native English may perceive as unpolite a sentence that is just straightforward.
It happened to me many times in the past, when I first came to the U.S.. I felt that some English expressions were too direct if not rude, but now I am getting used to it and I accept it as part of the culture.

About the ProZ feature, actually I don't dislike it.

It doesn't affect the asker's choice, as above mentioned, and it doesn't limit the asker's options in my opinion.
Instead, what (sometimes) bother me are answers by somebody who "does not meet criteria"..
I rephrase..who "does not meet any criteria" proposed with confidence level 5 without a piece of reference

my two cents

Tex

Ciao Belkis, ciao Claudia

[Edited at 2006-07-22 00:44]

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 10:21
English to Chinese
+ ...
A professional expression for a professional site Jul 22, 2006

It's just a formal professional expression and it's not intended to offend.

This is a professional website created for professionals and that is just a formal business expression. It's like if you apply for a job. You send your CV but if you don't meet the criteria you don't even get to the interview stage.

I think it would be a mistake if Proz started changing it's terminology and made these phrases all flowery and lovely just to keep people happy.

Busines
... See more
It's just a formal professional expression and it's not intended to offend.

This is a professional website created for professionals and that is just a formal business expression. It's like if you apply for a job. You send your CV but if you don't meet the criteria you don't even get to the interview stage.

I think it would be a mistake if Proz started changing it's terminology and made these phrases all flowery and lovely just to keep people happy.

Business is business and you can't take it personally.

Mark
Collapse

Stuart Allsop
Stuart Allsop  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
A spade is a spade... Jul 22, 2006

I never was much of a fan of "political correctness". It makes no sense at all to me. A spade is still a spade, no matter how pretty you paint it.

If you don't meet the criteria, then you STILL don't meet the criteria, no matter how politely you are told.

If Proz.com is going to star "prettying up" the site to avoid offending sensitive people, then where does it stop? Will the "disagree" now become a "partial but very friendly not-so-positive sort-of I-don't-quite-ag
... See more
I never was much of a fan of "political correctness". It makes no sense at all to me. A spade is still a spade, no matter how pretty you paint it.

If you don't meet the criteria, then you STILL don't meet the criteria, no matter how politely you are told.

If Proz.com is going to star "prettying up" the site to avoid offending sensitive people, then where does it stop? Will the "disagree" now become a "partial but very friendly not-so-positive sort-of I-don't-quite-agree"? Will everyone start getting Kudoz, so that those whose answers were NOT chosen won’t feel offended?

I don't see any reason to change this. After all, the over-worked programmers seem to have their hands full as it is, just fixing the broken tools and implementing all those new "features" that nobody asked for and even fewer actually want, let alone use!

We should not be wasting their time with minor cosmetic touch-ups like this.

Besides, a translator who is not thick-skinned enough to take a simple “You don’t meet the criteria” without falling apart, is not going to make it very far in this business anyway.
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:21
Flemish to English
+ ...
You have reported that you are not... Jul 22, 2006

This one made me smile

"The outsourcer has chosen to restrict quoting on this job to members who:
... are native speakers of Flemish (You have not reported that you are.) [Edit]

You do not meet all the necessary criteria for quoting on this job"

----------
No, I reported that I am a native of Dutch. However, Dutch and Flemish are the same language, albeit with differences in
... See more
This one made me smile

"The outsourcer has chosen to restrict quoting on this job to members who:
... are native speakers of Flemish (You have not reported that you are.) [Edit]

----------
No, I reported that I am a native of Dutch. However, Dutch and Flemish are the same language, albeit with differences in pronunciation and some uncorrect habits of the Dutch like writing words apart (influence of English) where they should be together and using foreign words (kids, überhaupt,...) because they sound better.... "

[Edited at 2006-07-22 04:35]
Collapse

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 10:21
English to Chinese
+ ...
Add it to your native languages Jul 22, 2006

Williamson wrote:

No, I reported that I am a native of Dutch. However, Dutch and Flemish are the same language

If the two languages are the same then I think you can add Flemish to your list of native languages and then you won't come across this problem again.

You have to sell yourself as much as you can:)

Mark

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
criteria? Jul 22, 2006

Since people can list whatever they want on their profile page, this restriction is a bit meaningless. From answers, questions and remarks made, it's obvious that a minority of people claim all sorts of expertise they clearly don't have. Until honesty becomes a 'criteria' for entering a profile page, having criteria for answering questions will never be truly effective. And if people simply refrained from answering when they don't have a clue about the field or enough knowledge of the source a... See more
Since people can list whatever they want on their profile page, this restriction is a bit meaningless. From answers, questions and remarks made, it's obvious that a minority of people claim all sorts of expertise they clearly don't have. Until honesty becomes a 'criteria' for entering a profile page, having criteria for answering questions will never be truly effective. And if people simply refrained from answering when they don't have a clue about the field or enough knowledge of the source and/or target languages, this sort of message would be completely unnecessary. At present it's stopping no one from answering anyway, so it may be a good attempt to limit the number of 'rubbish' answers but it's not going to solve the problem in the long run.
As for the wording, it's clear enough. After all, it's in red and is meant as a deterrent.

[Edited at 2006-07-22 11:25]
Collapse

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agreed Jul 22, 2006

Yes, this is a professional site (that's why I'm a member); however, being that professionalism is conveyed in many ways, the way we express ourselves is also an important aspect of it.

'This person (or however it's worded) has helped others translating 'tough' terms'...well...how about 'highly technical', 'technical' (most Pro-level questions, if not all, are technical, it does not exclude any of the other fields - Legal, Science, etc.)

Regards,
Belkis

[
... See more
Yes, this is a professional site (that's why I'm a member); however, being that professionalism is conveyed in many ways, the way we express ourselves is also an important aspect of it.

'This person (or however it's worded) has helped others translating 'tough' terms'...well...how about 'highly technical', 'technical' (most Pro-level questions, if not all, are technical, it does not exclude any of the other fields - Legal, Science, etc.)

Regards,
Belkis

[Edited at 2006-07-22 19:26]
Collapse

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More lucrative fields, criteria met, just not chosen. Jul 22, 2006

Stuart Allsop wrote:

Besides, a translator who is not thick-skinned enough to take a simple “You don’t meet the criteria” without falling apart, is not going to make it very far in this business anyway.

17 successful years in this business proves otherwise. I'm not sure who's falling apart here but it's certainly not me.
Let's not start attacking each other over such minor details.

Belkis

[Edited at 2006-07-22 19:27]

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Agree (Confidence level: 5) Jul 22, 2006

Belkis

Buona Giornata ed arrivederci anche a te, Belkis

[Edited at 2006-07-22 17:12]

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A Suggestion Forum is simply a Suggestion Forum Jul 22, 2006

texjax wrote:

Belkis

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Arrivederci Tex

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Common ground Jul 22, 2006

Stuart Allsop wrote:

If Proz.com is going to star "prettying up" the site to avoid offending sensitive people, then where does it stop? Will the "disagree" now become a "partial but very friendly not-so-positive sort-of I-don't-quite-agree"? Will everyone start getting Kudoz, so that those whose answers were NOT chosen won’t feel offended?

I don't see any reason to change this. After all, the over-worked programmers seem to have their hands full as it is, just fixing the broken tools and implementing all those new "features" that nobody asked for and even fewer actually want, let alone use!

We should not be wasting their time with minor cosmetic touch-ups like this.

I meet the 'criteria' (careful with how you use or interpret the word), but when you are forced to a select a specific number of fields I'm going to select the ones whose criteria I stilll meet but are more lucrative than others.

Your post says programers are overworked implementing features no one asked for...etc. etc., so in essence you agree with me.

'Criteria' should be used for job postings, if at all, (not having TRADOS, not living in XXX country), but working fields and specialties should not be limited. That's not a criteria, it's a choice we all have to make when selecting our preferences.

Someone said it's all about 'selling' yourself...I agree with that 100%. Why would I choose a field whose 'criteria' I do meet over another that pays more whose 'criteria' I also meet?

I think I've made my point.

Regards,
Belkis

[Edited at 2006-07-23 12:53]

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 19:21
English to Russian
+ ...
I agree with Belkis Jul 22, 2006

"Does not meet criteria" is a very strong expression.

Regards,
Belkis

Rude is rude, and "It's rude but it's business" does not meet my non-native criteria:-) Writeaway is correct - when all it takes to meet such criteria is to make another entry in the privacy of your own office, these "criteria" are but a mockery. Professional? Business? Not in my work environment. It is plain rude and very irritating.

Since "Keep out - danger" or "No smoking" without "please, darling" do not offend me, I believe political correctness is not an issue here.

I consider this warning to be out of place and out of line.

Now I'm going to copycat (NOT to mock!) Dyran:-)

Regards,
Irene
(who never seeks jobs from Proz)

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And there you have it. Jul 23, 2006

IreneN wrote:

"Does not meet criteria" is a very strong expression.

Regards,
Belkis

Rude is rude, and "It's rude but it's business" does not meet my non-native criteria:-)

Since "Keep out - danger" or "No smoking" without "please, darling" do not offend me, I believe political correctness is not an issue here.

I consider this warning to be out of place and out of line.

Regards,
Irene
(who never seeks jobs from Proz)

I think Irene hit the nail right on the head here (albeit my non-native criteria).

Kind regards,
Belkis

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Feature - Does not meet criteria

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »