Communication between members/users and staff: an idea
Thread poster: Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:54
Spanish to English
Aug 9, 2006

I actually posted this at the end of the "answer found elsewhere" thread, but would like to draw more people's attention to the idea, if I may, to see what reaction there is.

This is totally off-topic, but surely communication between Proz.com members/users and staff could be improved. Suggestions are constantly being made in the forums but there is often no feedback whatsoever, so we are left wondering whether anybody noticed / it's been rejected / being considered / being worked on as we speak / etc. And there are so many threads these days that if there IS a reply in one of them, it will probably only get read by a small number of people. Would it therefore be possible to have a separate page summarising suggestions made / staff response / action taken (if any) / pending / etc. We could all then see at a glance what was actually going on and perhaps not feel quite so frustrated...

http://www.proz.com/topic/52746

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 09:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hear! Hear! Aug 9, 2006

Nikki Graham wrote:

(...)

We could all then see at a glance what was actually going on and perhaps not feel quite so frustrated...

To which I previously replied, and will just repeat here since I've little else to add at this stage:

Excellent idea!

And it would also avoid us users wasting time drafting suggestions for things that are already in the pipeline or that have already been rejected.

More transparency, please, on the development front!

MediaMatrix

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:54
Dutch to English
+ ...
Great idea Aug 9, 2006

The other benefit is that when changes are implemented, we are not all quite surprised and panicky

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
Great idea Aug 9, 2006

Great idea, Nikki. A little heads up on the whole WWA issue would have been nice, for example.

I wonder whether a "glitches/progress" board could be incorporated into your suggestions page somehow (and linked to from the home page, maybe?) to make a single point of reference for users - a sort of global "update" board? Only yesterday there were 3 threads opened in English about mail/websites not working. Evidently the "search the forum before posting" idea just isn't getting through
... See more
Great idea, Nikki. A little heads up on the whole WWA issue would have been nice, for example.

I wonder whether a "glitches/progress" board could be incorporated into your suggestions page somehow (and linked to from the home page, maybe?) to make a single point of reference for users - a sort of global "update" board? Only yesterday there were 3 threads opened in English about mail/websites not working. Evidently the "search the forum before posting" idea just isn't getting through. I think in that instance a simple statement on a site page would have helped enormously. Users would have only had to consult a single page and site staff would have been saved the trouble of darting around topics to answer queries.

I know that's not quite what you suggested but it is something I'd welcome. Anything that improves communication has to be a good thing.

[Edited at 2006-08-09 14:36]
Collapse

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Site status Aug 9, 2006

Amy Williams wrote:

I wonder whether a "glitches/progress" board could be incorporated into your suggestions page somehow (and linked to from the home page, maybe?) to make a single point of reference for users - a sort of global "update" board? Only yesterday there were 3 threads opened in English about mail/websites not working.

There is already this:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=site_status

under the About tab, but you are right, this information needs to be more visible, and actually, the problems you mention are not listed.

[Edited at 2006-08-09 14:37]

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
quite Aug 9, 2006

Nikki Graham wrote:

There is already this:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=site_status

under the About tab, but you are right, this information needs to be more visible, and actually, the problems you mention are not listed.

Quite - nothing has been entered since May this year. Although that's great as far as uptime is concerned (!), a little expansion would be appreciated.

[Edited at 2006-08-09 14:53]

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
That's another very good idea Aug 9, 2006

Amy Williams wrote:

Only yesterday there were 3 threads opened in English about mail/websites not working. Evidently the "search the forum before posting" idea just isn't getting through. I think in that instance a simple statement on a site page would have helped enormously.

I'd go further, and suggest that it would have been prudent - and a sign of respect to users - if admin had given 24 advance warning of the major reorganization of the servers, with a possibility of some disturbance to normal service. That way, users could have taken suitable precautions before the event, rather than scurrying around for quick-fix solutions when already pressed by deadlines.

Above all, once the real, serious problems began to occur, then a pop-up warning should have been created alerting all users, at log-in time, to the existence of a major failure, the possible work-arounds, and the estimated time to restore proper service. Those who are complaining in other threads about lost data, lost business opportunities and projects being held up should not have had to wait until they needed their files before finding out there was a problem.

Of course, that would have drawn unwanted attention to the problem. But it would also highlight Proz.com's dedication to serving the users' interests first.

Henry & Co. can do it when they want to sell membership and software discounts. They should do it also when things go wrong.

MediaMatrix

PS - I write this as a potential Proz.com web-hosting user, still waiting for a response from hosting support to a ticket sent a full week ago. Looks like I should continue looking elsewhere for the service I need...

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:54
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Good idea! Aug 9, 2006

Nikki Graham wrote:

I actually posted this at the end of the "answer found elsewhere" thread, but would like to draw more people's attention to the idea, if I may, to see what reaction there is.

This is totally off-topic, but surely communication between Proz.com members/users and staff could be improved. Suggestions are constantly being made in the forums but there is often no feedback whatsoever, so we are left wondering whether anybody noticed / it's been rejected / being considered / being worked on as we speak / etc. And there are so many threads these days that if there IS a reply in one of them, it will probably only get read by a small number of people. Would it therefore be possible to have a separate page summarising suggestions made / staff response / action taken (if any) / pending / etc. We could all then see at a glance what was actually going on and perhaps not feel quite so frustrated...

http://www.proz.com/topic/52746

Thanks Nikki, this is a good idea. We already implemented a similar system for suggestions from moderators, and it looks reasonable to have another one for members. This is in line with our plans for the ProZian community.

Regards,
Enrique

justin C
justin C
United States
English
I like the idea as well Aug 9, 2006

Hi Nikki, I like your idea as well, thanks for the suggestion!

Mediamatrix,

I'd go further, and suggest that it would have been prudent - and a sign of respect to users - if admin had given 24 advance warning of the major reorganization of the servers, with a possibility of some disturbance to normal service.

This was done last week, we ended up noticing problems a couple days later than expected...

Of course, that would have drawn unwanted attention to the problem.

It is not our intention to 'hide' problems. I have been responding to forum posts (there has been 3 or 4 on the subject), individual emails, and support tickets regarding the issue (there was also a notice up on the support page informing users of the problem). If you wish to comment further on this issue, please do so in the hosting forum. And thanks, for your suggestions.

Best regards,
Justin

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:54
Dutch to English
+ ...
Great idea! Aug 9, 2006

Thanks Nikki.

Great idea!

Lucinda

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Reply, mostly to Amy Aug 10, 2006

This is slightly off-topic, but I felt it needed to be added, especially considering the topic.

I agree that the idea of searching the forum BEFORE posting is not getting through - or so it seems at least. I have observed an underlying problem in this near-perfect idea: many people do search the forum before anything else, but don't find what they are looking for, eben if it is actually there, because the forum search feature is really bad.

Improving the forum search fe
... See more
This is slightly off-topic, but I felt it needed to be added, especially considering the topic.

I agree that the idea of searching the forum BEFORE posting is not getting through - or so it seems at least. I have observed an underlying problem in this near-perfect idea: many people do search the forum before anything else, but don't find what they are looking for, eben if it is actually there, because the forum search feature is really bad.

Improving the forum search feature was suggested many many times, and many moderators agreed, even site staff said it was a good idea. Since then - nothing. Once again, it was discussed in a couple of threads but no action was taken and the line went dead. Meanwhile, increasingly often, when people use the forum to ask basic questions that have been asked before, they don't get any replies. So these members get no help at all, because people are sick and tired of explaining the same thing all over again and because the member can't find the correct answer through forum search. This is very discouraging to me as this is a community and no community can function if members don't help each other.

The initial idea would work well for this particular situation and I am putting this into my notebook to suggest later IF and when the feature proposed above takes shape.

Cheers!
Collapse

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Furthermore... Aug 10, 2006

Hello everyone,

I agree with everything that's been said so far. I also think that when an actual suggestion is implemented, credit should be given where credit is due.

From a personal standpoint I remember a rather passionate argument about 'site abuse'. I made a couple of suggestions and was told (and I quote) "there is no such thing as 'abuse' when this is a free service".

Well....lo and behold, now we do have 'Report site abuse', which means I was righ
... See more
Hello everyone,

I agree with everything that's been said so far. I also think that when an actual suggestion is implemented, credit should be given where credit is due.

From a personal standpoint I remember a rather passionate argument about 'site abuse'. I made a couple of suggestions and was told (and I quote) "there is no such thing as 'abuse' when this is a free service".

Well....lo and behold, now we do have 'Report site abuse', which means I was right to begin with.

I also suggested differentiating among PRO and NON-PRO level questions and voila (sorry no accents right now), here we are.

Since most of our work per se goes unrecognized, how about giving us credit for improving the site with our suggestions?

Best,
Belkis
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Belkis. Aug 10, 2006

Belkis Díaz-Vidaillet wrote:

Just to clarify, I do not think it was a site staff member or moderator who would have said this. That is not our position.

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 12, 2006

Enrique wrote:

Thanks Nikki, this is a good idea. We already implemented a similar system for suggestions from moderators, and it looks reasonable to have another one for members. This is in line with our plans for the ProZian community.

Thank you for the positive response. I'm sure that if we could all see at a glance what was going on a lot of threads would not need to be started and we (members/users) would feel better served and more able to direct our comments in a positive way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Communication between members/users and staff: an idea

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »