Kudoz: Compulsory 'Preview your selection' option when selecting an answer
Thread poster: Caryl Swift

Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:46
Polish to English
+ ...
Aug 14, 2006

Is it possible to introduce an option which would insist on the asker's previewing the answer selected before clicking the select option - just as it's impossible to submit an answer without entering a confidence level and an explanation.
I know that there is a 'cancel option', but what I'm thinking of would be a button right beside the 'select' option which would not allow a 'selection' to go through without its being checked.

I've come across a number of cases where the asker has stated that the answer they 'selected' was not the answer they wanted to select - that they pressed the button accidentally. This is particularly easy to do, I think, when there are a number of (sometimes) long answers. It happened to me the other day when I was reading through the answers again prior to selecting one - why? - because I coughed at the wrong moment!

Time, effort and correspondence then has to go into attempting to rectify the error and ensure that the glossary entry is appropriate. What's more, from what I've read in various other forum threads, it can lead to acrimonious debate - fortunately, in my case the 'selected' answerer responded impeccably!

I'm fairly new to Proz, so if this topic has been raised in earlier threads which I haven't yet come across, then I apologise.

Have a good week!
Caryl

Direct link Reply with quote

Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Agree Aug 14, 2006

Yes, this happened to me just a few days ago I think an additional stage to go through while selecting an answer would definitely be useful (and would save the mods some work, too).

Joanna

BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree Aug 14, 2006

Confidence level 100%. Excellent suggestion.

Best,
Belkis

kfiatek
English to Polish
+ ...
Agree Aug 14, 2006

Absolutely! It's happened to me too...

Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glad it's not just me! Aug 14, 2006

Thank you all for the vote of confidence in the notion!

Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 00:46
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
Not Really! Aug 15, 2006

I believe it should work perfectly at the beginning. Yet, pressing buttons becomes a habit later. Once you're familiar with the new button you're pressing, you will start pressing it anyway without paying attention ... especially when you're in a hurry and when you believe that you selected the answer you want. Still, it should help when you press the "choose answer" accidently, I agree. But I think the problem of selecting some answers by mistake will remain, maybe less than now, but it'll still there. We're human after all

Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's exactly what I mean! Aug 15, 2006

Dina Abdo wrote:

I believe it should work perfectly at the beginning. Yet, pressing buttons becomes a habit later. Once you're familiar with the new button you're pressing, you will start pressing it anyway without paying attention ... especially when you're in a hurry and when you believe that you selected the answer you want. Still, it should help when you press the "choose answer" accidently, I agree. But I think the problem of selecting some answers by mistake will remain, maybe less than now, but it'll still there. We're human after all

I completely agree with you Dina - we're only human and we all make mistakes. However, no matter how many times someone tries to submit an answer without having filled in the confidence level, for example, or without giving an explanation, the system won't let them do it. So, as you say, introducing a similar feature to selecting an answer would also allow many of the 'accidental' selections to be avoided.

I understand your point about the habitual pressing of buttons. Perhaps the solution is something like 'Have you previewed your selection' (click on 'Yes') - with the selection not being accepted until the 'Yes' has been clicked? At least it would give us pause to think.

I agree that it would not fully eliminate the problem of selecting the wrong answer. However, if it helps to reduce the 'accidents' and thus saves asker, answerers and moderators a great deal of time, I guess that can't be bad!

Have good day!
Caryl

Dina Abdo  Identity Verified
Palestine
Local time: 00:46
Member (2005)
Arabic
+ ...
I totally agree :) Aug 15, 2006

Caryl Swift wrote:

I agree that it would not fully eliminate the problem of selecting the wrong answer. However, if it helps to reduce the 'accidents' and thus saves asker, answerers and moderators a great deal of time, I guess that can't be bad!

Have good day!
Caryl

bartek  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
I appreciate Aug 15, 2006

your proposal, Caryl.
AFAIK, I "managed" to make such mistake only once during about four years of hard work here
However, I was a victim of so many erronous gradings that I understand you.
It seems reasonable to give our Askers (including us at least 10 seconds to think their decisions over.
But we still have to remember that many Askers ask, because they do not know correct answers, therefore sometimes their selections are based on ignorance and not knowledge
Teresa

Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some problems can't really be solved by technology Aug 15, 2006

bartek wrote:

your proposal, Caryl.
AFAIK, I "managed" to make such mistake only once during about four years of hard work here
However, I was a victim of so many erronous gradings that I understand you.
It seems reasonable to give our Askers (including us at least 10 seconds to think their decisions over.
But we still have to remember that many Askers ask, because they do not know correct answers, therefore sometimes their selections are based on ignorance and not knowledge
Teresa

and I think that the last one you mentioned probably falls into that category. All I'm thinking of here is the situation where, for whatever reason, the mouse button gets clicked accidentally - and irrevocably! So, thank you for your support of that idea.

Caryl

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz: Compulsory 'Preview your selection' option when selecting an answer

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs