How about having the Russian/Eastern European languages pages automatically select the correct code
Thread poster: Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 22:26
German to English
+ ...
Nov 16, 2001

An Internet-whizz friend of mine said that the site owners ought to be able to set the site up to automatically select the correct coding for Russian/Eastern European Kudoz pages so that I don\'t have to manually switch back and forwards whenever I want to view a term there.

Could you look into this?

Thanks!

Alison

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:26
SITE FOUNDER
What comes in goes out Nov 16, 2001

We allow people to submit content in any language, any character set. Later, we simply push out what came in, without specifying a character set. This is different from some other sites, which have created their own content and therefore know what encoding was used.

For Cyrillic, if we wanted to \"hard-code\" the character set displayed (so that users dont have to keep setting their browsers), our options would be to:

(1) Mandate the use of a certain character set
... See more
We allow people to submit content in any language, any character set. Later, we simply push out what came in, without specifying a character set. This is different from some other sites, which have created their own content and therefore know what encoding was used.

For Cyrillic, if we wanted to \"hard-code\" the character set displayed (so that users dont have to keep setting their browsers), our options would be to:

(1) Mandate the use of a certain character set when answering KudoZ questions, etc.,

(2) Require people to indicate which character set they are using when they enter content,

or

(3) Somehow \"sense\" the character set that is being used.

Options (1) and (2) seem impractical, and I don\'t know of a way to accomplish option (3).

Does your friend? If so, have him/her write to [email protected].

Thanks!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How about having the Russian/Eastern European languages pages automatically select the correct code

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »