Mobile menu

Agree(...)box:: falling a bit short (staff: 'OK, expanded to 255 characters')
Thread poster: Anna Taylor

Anna Taylor  Identity Verified
US Minor Outlying Isl.
Local time: 19:02
English to French
+ ...
Oct 19, 2002

Agreed, I might tend to err on the verge of verbosity (ie,especially now), but when I want to interact with an answer, might it be to agree,disagree or add some - what I see as- relevant information, I can\'t do it. My sentence gets cut in the middle...

Has it happened to many of you? Is the obvious solution reside in my trying to be more concise?

I know how to restrict the length of the translation itself, but I like to discuss its \"finer\" points with either supporters or detractors. It\'s the discussion which makes it worthwhile, at the end... More than the sources, the references... On ProZ, there is this great energy created by bi-lingual people who can lock horns over the most insignificant term... And the \"spectators\"/ other translators give their opinion,add their grain of salt.

All these people involved in the \"Word Arena\" have something to say, it being positive or negative doesn\'t really matter. Every comment will help to narrow down the correct translation.

Which brings me back to my point: am I the only one who, mid-explanation, gets restricted by the number of characters allowed in the comment boxes?

And, actually, they still got posted, somehow, and an abrupt cliff-hanger mid-word incomplete idea appears under my name.

I guess one could use one\'s e-mail from one\'s profile and \"discuss\". Still, I do believe that a longer allocated \"comment\" space would bring up many interesting points, unknown until they\'re raised, and only raised because there is space in which to , er, raise them.

I understand that, ultimately, the comments have to be kept short and sweet for the god-like-asker... So he/she can make a final choice without being dragged into petty battles... But maybe with a wee bit more space, proZ \"peeps\" could explain more what they mean, instead of having to sound merely

This posting only reflects my opin...

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-07 15:02]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:02
English to German
+ ...
Post an answer marked as explanation Oct 19, 2002

Hi Anna,

I have had the same issue (albeit only in a few cases), for instance, when I would like to support an answer by providing a detailed background explanation.

What I do in such a case is this: I enter an \"agree\" with just a short comment such as \"see my added explanation\", and then enter a separate answer marked accordingly.

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:02
German to English
+ ...
OK, Ralf, Oct 20, 2002

I understand what you\'re saying, but why can\'t a little more space be allocated to the agree/disagree fields?

If you want to give a really long explanation, your method is fine, but a little more space would in those fields would be helpful. Why not bring it up in the moderators meeting?

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:02
English to German
+ ...
AFAIK it's on the list Oct 20, 2002

This has indeed been discussed in the mods\' forum, and as far as I know, it\'s one of the items on the list of suggested improvements. However, please bear in mind that ProZ has had to deal with some more pressing (and also more complex) issues recently - not least in terms of site performance.

I have no idea how much effort a redesign of the comment field would imply (remember that just adding a few characters doesn\'t do the trick: as soon as you go beyond a \'one-liner\' you need to consider issues such as field dimensions, formatting of subsequent fields etc.), but I\'m happy to raise the issue again.

Finally, my post didn\'t imply that nothing could (or should) be done at all - it\'s just a pragmatic solution given the current design.

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 20:02
We are trying to keep discussion focused Oct 21, 2002

Thanks for the suggestion. As Ralf said, it has come up in the past.

In response, we once increased the maximum length by 50%. In the interest of keeping things concise and on point, we do not intend to expand it further.

Agree/disagree comments are *about* answers, rather than being answers themselves, so the longer they are, the further the discourse goes off-track. That is the thinking, anyway.

If you do have something involved to say, it probably should be presented as an answer itself.

Thanks, again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agree(...)box:: falling a bit short (staff: 'OK, expanded to 255 characters')

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs