Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:19
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 3, 2006

Dear all,

How about having a summary box in the forums, that the initiator of a thread can use to sum up the thread once it has stretched over a few pages and become long for others to read. Maybe this summary posting could be highlighted in a different background colour.

I just saw Vito's entry in Inga Pier's thread. He said he jumped from page 1 to 4 and asked her to sum up what happened and what she
... See more
Dear all,

How about having a summary box in the forums, that the initiator of a thread can use to sum up the thread once it has stretched over a few pages and become long for others to read. Maybe this summary posting could be highlighted in a different background colour.

I just saw Vito's entry in Inga Pier's thread. He said he jumped from page 1 to 4 and asked her to sum up what happened and what she learned from it.

I have been in the same situation a few times, where I was looking for information in the forums, but the topic just streched over too many entries to read it all. It would be great to have a summary of the thread in order to avoid wasting time on reading each and every entry.

Of course this summary box would not be useful for all forum threads. But it could be nice for some. What do you think?

Stefanie

[Bearbeitet am 2006-11-03 13:33]
Collapse

Inga Jakobi
Inga Jakobi  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Good idea Nov 3, 2006

Hi Steffi,
this is a good idea as some forum threads really get longer and longer (e.g. mine you mentioned). I think it could also be useful if the initiator of the forum was marked clearly, f. e. using a different colour for his postings, so that you can easily see that you are reading the post of the initiator at the moment. Sometimes when I read through a very long thread, I loose track who started it ...
Inga

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Good idea, and some more ideas Nov 3, 2006

Stefanie Sendelbach wrote:
How about having a summary box in the forums, that the initiator of a thread can use to sum up the thread once it has stretched over a few pages and become long for others to read.

Good idea. Let me expand on it. Once a thread reaches 10 posts, and also once a thread is dormant for longer than a week, the original poster gets an e-mail from ProZ.com asking him to please summarise the thread.

Summarising should be optional, but perhaps it can be rewarded (eg KudoZ or BrowniZ) (the forum moderator can maybe give it a very quick check to make sure it doesn't read "asdfasdfasdf").

The summary (if it exists) should be displayed at the top of the thread (or perhaps directly beneath the first post, as if it were a reply) in a different colour.

If a poster neglects to write a summary within, say, 3 days after being asked via e-mail to do so, then the summary feature becomes "semi-open" (first come, first served) and anyone who had participated in that thread can write the summary (and get the reward).

There should be guidelines about how to write a good summary, and perhaps the summary form should have several fields that must be filled in to give it a bit more structure.

Your comments?

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
thanks to Samuel and Stefanie for these good ideas! Nov 3, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

The summary (if it exists) should be displayed at the top of the thread (or perhaps directly beneath the first post, as if it were a reply) in a different colour.

If a poster neglects to write a summary within, say, 3 days after being asked via e-mail to do so, then the summary feature becomes "semi-open" (first come, first served) and anyone who had participated in that thread can write the summary (and get the reward).

There should be guidelines about how to write a good summary, and perhaps the summary form should have several fields that must be filled in to give it a bit more structure.

Your comments?

These concrete suggestions are great, and the summation is much needed.

Almost inevitably when I search the forum archives, I'm overwhelmed with information, and given the daily grind, I simply cannot stop to spend a hour reading all the various comments in the hope of finding that one nugget of information that I really need!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Summary box for forum threads

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »