Should job bids be private?
Thread poster: Lesley Clayton
Lesley Clayton
France
Local time: 20:57
French to English
+ ...
Nov 21, 2001

The day before yesterday I posted a bid on a job - the first time I\'ve done this - and there were already about five bids for the job at the time I posted mine (there are now 16 bids). Since then I\'ve kept going back to see how things are progressing and have found it very interesting reading everyone\'s sample translation and how they all differ.

However, I\'ve just logged on and had a look, only to find that a platinum member has bid for the job using MY translation as his/her sample translation of the text. My translation has been copied WORD FOR WORD, the only difference being that a semi-colon has been inserted where there should be a comma.

Whilst I am flattered that someone should think my translation worth copying, I think this is a grossly unprofessional abuse of the open bidding system and is also dishonest to the person who posted this job.

If job bids are going to be kept open for viewing, then surely the sample translations should be strictly private. That would be not only fair to the bidder but also to the job poster.

Direct link Reply with quote

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 14:57
German to English
+ ...
This has happened before Nov 21, 2001

This happened to me a long time ago. I contacted that member privately and asked her to refrain from such actions. She never even replied.

As a result, I never provide samples for public bids anymore. I just advise the outsourcer that some other members may copy my sample and that I will send it to them by e-mail instead.

I have been calling for an end to public bids for a long time (for that very reason). Actually, some of the regular outsourcers I contacted have, in fact, stopped using public bids on my advice. I just told them that they should use private bids whenever they require sample translations, and most of them have complied.

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:57
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I agree with you Nov 22, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-11-21 15:05, LJC wrote:

However, I\'ve just logged on and had a look, only to find that a platinum member has bid for the job using MY translation as his/her sample translation of the text.

Whilst I am flattered that someone should think my translation worth copying, I think this is a grossly unprofessional abuse of the open bidding system and is also dishonest to the person who posted this job.

If job bids are going to be kept open for viewing, then surely the sample translations should be strictly private. That would be not only fair to the bidder but also to the job poster.

A discussion about several improvements to the Jobs area is open amongst the site moderators and the site owners.

Many changes are planned, I don\'t even know them all, but the issue of open bids and privacy have been listed on the plan.

Personally, I totally agree with you. It is unfair towards the bidders and also towards the persons posting the job offers.

Gianfranco Manca

EN>IT co-moderator

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should job bids be private?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs