Mobile menu

Kudos and translation tests (Mod:'done')
Thread poster: Marcello Napolitano
Marcello Napolitano
Local time: 21:54
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 24, 2002

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this to...

In the past 3-4 days I have seen the same Kudos questions posted from different people in the English to Italian combination. It sure looks like there is a translation tests that was sent to many colleagues who all have problems on the same terms, and none of them takes the time to look up the terms in the glossary, or they would find the other questions already answered.

I am sure this has happened before, should this kind of questions get deleted as duplicates even though they come from different people?

Personally I don\'t have any problem with translators using all the tools they would normally use for their job when they are doing a translation test. But it would be nice if the poster would at least tell that it is for a test. And it would be really nice if they would \"do their homework\" to avoid repeating someone else\'s questions.

Sorry if this is an old topic but I have been active here on Proz for less than 3 weeks.

Marcello Napolitano

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 20:15]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:54
English to German
+ ...
It is a much-discussed topic... Oct 24, 2002

Hi Marcello - welcome to ProZ!

Your suspicion was correct - this subject has been discussed quite actively; you can use the search function (the little window at the bottom of the left-hand navigation bar), enter \"translation test\" or just \"test\" and see what you get.

If you note a repetition, please notify the moderator(s) for the language pair concerned - there\'s a link at the bottom of each question. In EN>IT, there are two: Paola Ludovici MacQuarrie in Canada and Gianfranco Manca in the UK - except for the very early hours of the European morning, you should always be able to get a reaction (but please bear in mind that they\'re both active professionals, who may be pretty busy at times).

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:54
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
The majority of ProZ members are correct and respect the site's rules Oct 24, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-24 19:51, Dream Team wrote:

... In the past 3-4 days I have seen the same Kudos questions posted from different people in the English to Italian combination. It sure looks like there is a translation tests that was sent to many colleagues who all have problems on the same terms, and none of them takes the time to look up the terms in the glossary, or they would find the other questions already answered.

Thank you for your message, and welcome to ProZ.

The Eng>Ita community is very active and quite well behaved.

Probably those terms have been posted at some distance from each other and have been not noticed. All in all, it\'s a small problem.

The duplication of question is inevitable.

The translators using (or abusing) the site for one reason or another are a small minority, also there are many members with bouncing right (i.e. they can squash questions) and they help a lot on the smooth running of the site.

We, as moderators, are busy with our work and try to keep an eye on several areas of the site, but many others, the great majority of participants, are very helpful in keeping the site in good shape.

Gianfranco

Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:54
English to German
Duplicate questions cannot be posted anymore Dec 11, 2002

Hello Gianfranco,

today I have added a function which prevents questions from being posted more than once. If the term, the context, the languages, and the field are identical, the question will not be saved.

Hermann

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-11 14:30 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudos and translation tests (Mod:'done')

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs