Thread poster: BelkisDV

BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 18, 2006

http://www.proz.com/freelance-translators/spanish

This link is a list of Spanish translators; however, I only see about 30 something (perhaps more) names.

Is this a rotating list? Do other members get to be included in it or just the ones that are already there?

Thank you.
Belkis

Direct link Reply with quote

Pilar Díez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Click on 'view complete list' Dec 18, 2006

Hi

If you click on view complete list at the top and then define your search following the given parameters you will find a list with all Spanish translators (over 1,400 proz.com members) plus many more non-members. On this list they are rated depending on the amount of KudoZ points they have earned.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Pilar Díez

Balaban Cerit  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 09:26
English to Turkish
+ ...
It seems to be a random and rotating list Dec 18, 2006

Hi Belkis,

I checked and there is a similar list for translators who have listed Turkish as their native language:
http://www.proz.com/freelance-translators/turkish

These lists all seem to be based on the same principles.

I am sure that the amount of KudoZ points translators have earned is not a principal rating factor in this list. Some can have 0 KudoZ points but still be at the top of the list.

This seems to be a random and rotating list, because whenever I refresh the page, I see new names in the list and the overall order of the names change.

Some translators can be listed twice on the list, if they have listed multiple language pairs - I suppose a few can be listed even more than twice, if this is a purely random list.

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:26
English to Spanish
what is the purpose of this? Dec 18, 2006

What do you all think about it, though?

I think it is appalling. Why?:

- It is confusing both for the person looking for a translator and for the translator not shown. The criteria for the selection is not specified, the customer does not know why these names appear.

- No field on this list specifying whether credentials are verified or not... (I have just looked at one person listed, and s/he has given no credentials)

- If the point is to make things easier for people to find a translator, why not increasing the number of filters in the directory search and maybe make a Flash demonstration of a possible search? AFAIK, it would make more sense to widen the search possibilities instead of giving the impression that the number of translators available is less than it actually is.

Well, just an oppinion...

Marta

------------------------------------

It is nice to know, from Justin's prompt answer, that the selection is ramdomly made. I do hope that the list is rarely visited by customers or outsourcers

[Edited at 2006-12-18 17:36]

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
well, now, I'm worried ... Dec 18, 2006

In the Spanish-into-English list, the ordering is definitely by KudoZ points, with the person with the most first.

I have 776 KudoZ and am a full member, but I am no where to be found! Not even at the end of the list!

So, do I put in a support ticket or what? Or ...

It is likely no one ever looks at this list!

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK Dec 18, 2006

Thank you all for responding. Yes, when you refresh the list new names appear but now I have yet another question.

Why do certain names appear twice on the same page? Do they have 2 memberships or is it an error? One person appeared 3 times and several others more than once.

Does anyone know why? I agree that it is very confusing and I think the names should at least be arranged in alphabetical order, if anything.

Regards,
Belkis

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:26
English to German
+ ...
No reason to be worried, AFAIK Dec 18, 2006

Hi all,

So, do I put in a support ticket or what? Or ...

I already submitted a SR, asking staff to explain the purpose.

It is likely no one ever looks at this list!

In fact, I think you're right on this one, but I'll leave it to ProZ.com staff to explain the background.

Best regards,
Ralf

justin C
United States
English
The page cited here is to ensure member profiles are indexed by search engines Dec 18, 2006

Hello everyone!

The URLs that you all pasted are lists of ProZ.com members that display completely at random for the specified language pair. These pages are rarely hit by end-clients/outsourcers, and are primarily used to ensure that all ProZ.com members' profiles are indexed by search engines (every time a search engine hits that page, it receives different data, and additional profile links to crawl).

We do this to ensure that we are promoting our members' services the best that we possibly can.

Feel free to email directly at justin at proz.com if you have any questions or would like more clarification.

Best regards,
Justin

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My other question Dec 18, 2006

Hi Justin,

Can you tell us why members appear twice in the same language combination? If it's for search engine purposes those people have 2-3 times more the chance of showing than the rest of us, which hardly seems fair.

Like I said, I ran into a few of those. Do they have 2 active memberships or is this an error?

Thank you and regards,
Belkis

justin C
United States
English
Members should not show up more than once, I'll look into the problem Dec 18, 2006

Hey Belkis,

I wasn't aware of members showing up more than once on that page, but I will look into the problem. Can you email me directly with the URL you saw this problem on?

Thanks in advance,
Justin

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Impossible Dec 18, 2006

Hi Justin,

I copied and pasted some of the URLs to send them to you; however, everytime I did that I would see yet another name I had already ran into. In other words, there are duplicate entries for many members. I know their names but I'm not about to publish that here.

Why don't you take a look for yourself? I had so many windows open it was very annoying, so was having to go back and forth between them.

So take a look, it's better that way.

Regards,
Belkis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need help in understanding how this works - List of Spanish translators

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs