https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/6251-handling_abuse_on_the_site_r.html

Handling abuse on the site (R)
Thread poster: BelkisDV
BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 10, 2002

Hello all,

It ocurred to me that there could be a way to combat this ill practice which:

1) robs us of our time, which could be utilized to answer questions for users who really need it

2) has created a great degree of animosity among the ProZ community by causing confrontations between those who continue answering the abusers for Kudoz points and therefore obtain more visibility through the site

3) has spread th
... See more
Hello all,

It ocurred to me that there could be a way to combat this ill practice which:

1) robs us of our time, which could be utilized to answer questions for users who really need it

2) has created a great degree of animosity among the ProZ community by causing confrontations between those who continue answering the abusers for Kudoz points and therefore obtain more visibility through the site

3) has spread throughout the entire internet and will continue to do so if not stopped

I could go on and on but my suggestion is simple enough: CHARGE THEM AFTER A SPECIFIC NUMBER OF QUESTIONS.

I leave the how and when to the ProZ staff, as I\'m sure they can figure out a way to do it. I believe this will also benefit all of us and ProZ itself.

Cheers!

Belkis

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 20:21]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:49
English to German
+ ...
Define "abuse", please... Nov 10, 2002

Hi Belkis,

Unfortunately you did not specify what exactly \"abuse\" means from your point of view. I assume you are referring to site users asking more than a specific number of questions at a time (leaving the question open as to how many questions, in your opinion, would constitute abuse).

What you haven\'t taken into account is that it\'s everyone\'s free decision whether or not to answer questions. Sure, members with more points may attract attention, but you s
... See more
Hi Belkis,

Unfortunately you did not specify what exactly \"abuse\" means from your point of view. I assume you are referring to site users asking more than a specific number of questions at a time (leaving the question open as to how many questions, in your opinion, would constitute abuse).

What you haven\'t taken into account is that it\'s everyone\'s free decision whether or not to answer questions. Sure, members with more points may attract attention, but you shouldn\'t overestimate this effect.

The single most important success factor of this community is its openness - I would strongly advise against surrendering it.
Collapse

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let's see... Nov 10, 2002

Ralph,

I did not define \"abuse\" because its meaning is obvious from all the postings I\'ve read about the subject right here. Perhaps you have missed them.

Again, this is a suggestion and not an attack on ProZ.

Cheerios!

Belkis

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:49
English to German
+ ...
Not obvious, I'm afraid... Nov 13, 2002

...and that\'s exactly my point!

Quote:

On 2002-11-10 17:27, BelkisDV wrote:

Ralph,

I did not define \"abuse\" because its meaning is obvious from all the postings I\'ve read about the subject right here. Perhaps you have missed them.

Most certainly not - the point I\'m trying to get across is this: what you have in mind is what *you* consider abuse; but if you look closely... See more
...and that\'s exactly my point!

Quote:

On 2002-11-10 17:27, BelkisDV wrote:

Ralph,

Most certainly not - the point I\'m trying to get across is this: what you have in mind is what *you* consider abuse; but if you look closely at the various discussions, members are far from being unanimous on that issue.

Personally, I believe that unless users ask for a string of phrases or whole sentences, it\'s impossible to abuse a service that is provided on a voluntary basis. Remember - nobody is forced to answer.

Quote:

Again, this is a suggestion and not an attack on ProZ.

I realise that - still, the way you presented your suggestion implies that abuse is a fact rather than a perception. And that\'s exactly where I disagree.

Best regards, Ralf ▲ Collapse

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let's agree to disagree Nov 24, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-11-13 01:47, Lemster wrote:

it\'s impossible to abuse a service that is provided on a voluntary basis. [quote]

Ralph,

I really wonder what makes you think that just because a service is being provided for free it cannot be abused. A good example of that would be the Welfare System in the U.S. Just now I read a posting about someone who in 72 hours posted over 1,000 questions.

This is a site for suggestions, I don\'t think its purpose is to debate them. People are wondering why there aren\'t more participants in these forums and this is precisely why.

Belkis

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-12-09 23:26 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Handling abuse on the site (R)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »