Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Please, more chances for non-members to submit bids!
Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:01
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jan 4, 2007

My suggestion is that more time should be given before jobs are closed, so that people who are not Platinum have time to make their bids. What I have seen is that quite often jobs are closed before the "non-payer waiting time" of 12 hours has even expired - which means that non-payers do not even have a chance to bid for the top jobs.
For example, earlier today I saw a job "members only until 23:38 GMT", so at exactly 23:38 I opened the site to enter my bid - and the job had already been c
... See more
My suggestion is that more time should be given before jobs are closed, so that people who are not Platinum have time to make their bids. What I have seen is that quite often jobs are closed before the "non-payer waiting time" of 12 hours has even expired - which means that non-payers do not even have a chance to bid for the top jobs.
For example, earlier today I saw a job "members only until 23:38 GMT", so at exactly 23:38 I opened the site to enter my bid - and the job had already been closed!
You will of course be asking why I don't become a member - this is because I get little work and so many bills that I can't afford it. So we have the vicious circle: no membership as I can't afford it, and can't afford it as there are no jobs.
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
the other way around. Jan 4, 2007

In order to make money one has to invest money.

Becoming a member is an investment. And applying for jobs during the first few hours of posting and having - then - more chances to get the job, is one of the benefits of membership, among others.

You don`t become a member when you have zillions of clients and therefore the money to pay for your membership. You don`t need it then. You need it now.

Silvia Calderón
Silvia Calderón  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Welcome to the circle! Jan 4, 2007

I thought I was walking "the circle" on my own.

Silvia.

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Agree with Walter Jan 4, 2007

In addition to full-scale membership, you have a partial membership option which enables you to bid on jobs. I am quite happy with this kind of membership and in general appreciate the fact that everybody is given more than one option to buy a Proz membership.

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Ahem Jan 4, 2007

You may want to consider the fact that even a single job will most probably cover the expense of 1 year's ProZ.com membership...

I don't want to rain on your parade or anything, but quoting on jobs without being a (partial) member is really impractical. Your quote will be displayed lower than everyone else's and has a lesser chance of being noticed.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
The jobs are often (at least relatively) urgent Jan 4, 2007

In other words, the outsourcer may have to assign the job within two or three hours, so then it is not possible to leave the job open for 12 hours, because a translator had to be found within 3 hours, so 9 hours later the job no longer exists. This is unfortunate, but it is just the way things work.

Astrid

shstephaniepark
shstephaniepark
South Korea
Local time: 09:01
English to Korean
+ ...
For some members, it is quite big money to pay it at once. Jan 4, 2007

True, being member is an investment.

But paying such money at one time can be too much financial burden for some translators living in developing countries.

Even though USD is relatively weak these days, USD 100 can be percieved as "big investment".

Personally, I prefer to pay USD 10 per month for the period of 10 months purchasing annual membership.

I hope Proz.com could afford this kind of payment or diversify membership period, for example
... See more
True, being member is an investment.

But paying such money at one time can be too much financial burden for some translators living in developing countries.

Even though USD is relatively weak these days, USD 100 can be percieved as "big investment".

Personally, I prefer to pay USD 10 per month for the period of 10 months purchasing annual membership.

I hope Proz.com could afford this kind of payment or diversify membership period, for example, for a month, for three months, and for six months.

[Edited at 2007-01-04 01:06]

[Edited at 2007-01-04 01:07]
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:01
French to Spanish
+ ...
Don't agree. Jan 4, 2007

As you, I'm not a paying member. But active in ProZ, though.

In this case, I must agree with something I've been told a lots of times, right here:

"You don't pay, you don't play."

Hipyan Nopri
Hipyan Nopri  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 07:01
Member (2005)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Worth Considering Suggestion Jan 4, 2007

Sunghee Park wrote:

[Edited at 2007-01-04 01:06]

[Edited at 2007-01-04 01:07]

I agree with Sunghee regarding more flexibility in membership. ProZ.com may set membership periods ranging from 1 month to 12 months. Thus, prospective members are provided with more alternative options.

Patrice
Patrice  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:01
French to English
+ ...
So Worth It Jan 4, 2007

I say, save your money and pay! Go without something else to pay for it. Joining Proz is an investment I have never regretted.

Iván Rodríguez R.
Iván Rodríguez R.
Local time: 17:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
They have money back guarantee Jan 4, 2007

I suggest you try if you can afford it. If it doesn't work as you expect or you don't like it, then...

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 07:01
English to Indonesian
+ ...
do you really want to bid for jobs? Jan 4, 2007

personally, i dislike bidding for jobs. imnsho, it's not a good way to do. let's be honest, the main criterion for bidding would most likely be the rate/price, which means the lower you go, the bigger your chance to get the job. how low are you willing to go?
what most interest me to join proz is its extensive blueboard database, along with its payment reputation/lwa. you can contact 4+ outsourcers your information. i believe if you have the necessary qualifications, they will contact you
... See more
personally, i dislike bidding for jobs. imnsho, it's not a good way to do. let's be honest, the main criterion for bidding would most likely be the rate/price, which means the lower you go, the bigger your chance to get the job. how low are you willing to go?
what most interest me to join proz is its extensive blueboard database, along with its payment reputation/lwa. you can contact 4+ outsourcers your information. i believe if you have the necessary qualifications, they will contact you when they have a job. so, there's no need for bidding. and what's interesting is that you don't have to join proz to 'use' this method...
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Couldn't be expressed better! Jan 4, 2007

Walter said:

You don`t become a member when you have zillions of clients and therefore the money to pay for your membership. You don`t need it then. You need it now.

But then, Mulyadi is right, too: you won't need to bid once you become a member.

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Agree with Walter... Jan 4, 2007

Walter Landesman wrote:

In order to make money one has to invest money.

Becoming a member is an investment. And applying for jobs during the first few hours of posting and having - then - more chances to get the job, is one of the benefits of membership, among others.

It was very difficult for me to invest the first time. I wasn't earning very much (50% job and a couple of translations every so often) but decided to take the plunge. I have NEVER regretted it: new work opportunities (from all over the world; Norwegian is a small language by world standards), new friendships developed and an opportunity to engage in translating related activities (forums, kudoz, conferences, article database, blueboard, willingness-to-work-again ratings). I have more than quadrupled my translating work since joining.

I also find it extremely useful to refer to my ProZ.com page even when talking with "pre-ProZ" customers (and no, they have never deserted me for cheaper translators!) since it shows details of my ability and involvement which would take me hours to add to my company web page.

ProZ.com is one of the BEST investments you will ever make in your translating career!

NO advertising allowed, I'm sure, so I'll just yell: JOIN NOW!!

Bill

[Edited at 2007-01-04 09:45]

Saifa (X)
Saifa (X)
German to French
+ ...
Agree with Mulyadi Jan 4, 2007

Mulyadi Subali wrote:

personally, i dislike bidding for jobs. imnsho, it's not a good way to do.

I could not agree more. I am a paying member, but I am not using the bidding system of this site and any others sites, for the reasons mentioned above.

Saifa

[Edited at 2007-01-04 10:41]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please, more chances for non-members to submit bids!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »