Proposed index of language proficiency: CLTP = Computed Language of Top Proficiency
Thread poster: Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
Local time: 23:06
Jan 5, 2007

I'll be suggesting some sort of an index of proficiency, which should pose little if any technical difficulty for proz.com software to handle.

Let us take the list of language pairs below as an example:

Polish to English
English to Polish
Russian to Polish
Russian to English
French to English

Lets define I = Index of Into-Incidence

In the example above, there are two Into-Languages: English and Polish.

I fo
... See more
I'll be suggesting some sort of an index of proficiency, which should pose little if any technical difficulty for proz.com software to handle.

Let us take the list of language pairs below as an example:

Polish to English
English to Polish
Russian to Polish
Russian to English
French to English

Lets define I = Index of Into-Incidence

In the example above, there are two Into-Languages: English and Polish.

I for English is 3 and I for Polish is 2.

Hence for the person having listed the above language pair CLTP = English, because English language has largest I value.

Another example of language pairs:

Turkish to Turkish (monolingual)
English to English (monolingual)

There is a tie here -- I value for both Turkish and English is 1.

But note the ranking of the language pairs -- it implies higher proficiency in Turkish monolingual than English monolingual.

Hence for this person having listed above language pairs, CLTP = Turkish, because Turkish has a higher ranking of proficiency than English in the above list of language pairs.

That's the general idea.

Did I say any thing about *native* languages and having to prove them or vouch for them? Of course I didn't.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-01-07 18:48]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proposed index of language proficiency: CLTP = Computed Language of Top Proficiency

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »