Mobile menu

Can the polls be proofread before being displayed on the homepage?
Thread poster: Jennifer Baker

Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:23
Partial member (2004)
Italian to English
Jan 9, 2007

I know this has been mentioned before. I think it's vitally important for a site that caters to linguists.
Thanks,

Jennifer

Direct link Reply with quote

writeaway  Identity Verified

Local time: 23:23
Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Gud sugestion Jan 9, 2007

Misteaks shud be avoyded.

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
Agree Jan 9, 2007

As something displayed on the home page of a professional site for translators in English, the English should be spot on.

Obviously not everyone is comfortable writing in English, but these could be proofread in-house before posting.

Sure there would be volunteers out there to proofread a week in advance if it wasn't possible in-house. Wouldn't take ten minutes.

[Edited at 2007-01-09 15:34]

BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
As far as I know Jan 9, 2007

and unless things have changed, the polls ARE proofread by staff before posting, they also edit them of course.

I know this because one of my polls originally read:

Do you include a Translator's Note in your work?

The edited text read: Do you include Translators Notes....

That changed the entire meaning of my original question. Translators Notes are not the same thing as what I've learned is a T.N. (or N. del T.).

I'll look for the poll, if I find it I'll post the thread here.

Regards to all,
Belkis

I couldn't find my poll but please see the discussion in today's poll.

[Edited at 2007-01-09 16:25]

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
Only .... Jan 9, 2007

BelkisDV wrote:

and unless things have changed, the polls ARE proofread by staff before posting, they also edit them of course.

... a lot of mistakes have been creeping through recently, maybe it was too much mulled wine over the festive season

Nevertheless, by raising the issue again, Jennifer has hopefully caught the attention of the relevant staff member(s)

Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Partial member (2004)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I do hope so- Jan 9, 2007

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

by raising the issue again, Jennifer has hopefully caught the attention of the relevant staff member(s)

I must admit that I approached the subject with a bit of trepidation, but as I stated before, I think it's quite important for the site's professional image.

All the best,

Jennifer

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
On another note Jan 9, 2007

Yes, I think Jennifer raised an important issue which had been forgotten.

I think it's important for members to be able to poll, when I saw the poll posters list this morning they all read: Poster: Proz.com Staff.

I'm not sure what that means, certainly there are other people posting so why aren't they being credited for their ideas?

Regards,
Belkis

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
German to English
Polls Jan 9, 2007

BelkisDV wrote:

I think it's important for members to be able to poll, when I saw the poll posters list this morning they all read: Poster: Proz.com Staff.

I'm not sure what that means, certainly there are other people posting so why aren't they being credited for their ideas?

Almost all the polls I've seen over the past couple of years have been polls created by members. You must be referring to the poll discussion, which is always initiated by staff and members are definitely credited for their ideas.

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Would you accept a job well down your rate?".

This poll was originally submitted by Alfredo Fernández Martínez

http://www.proz.com/topic/63034

[Edited at 2007-01-09 18:48]

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for the clarification Jan 9, 2007

Kim,

Thanks for clarifying that for me, it must be the poll discussions what I looked at.

Rgds,
Belkis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can the polls be proofread before being displayed on the homepage?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs