Mobile menu

For Outsourcers: A Track-this-Profile function?
Thread poster: Cilian O'Tuama

Cilian O'Tuama
Local time: 03:30
German to English
+ ...
Jan 23, 2007

We do quite a lot of outsourcing.

I visit this site at least every second day on average. When I'm browsing through discussions, forums, etc., I often find impressive contributions and, wanting to learn more about the contributor, then visit the profile and check various things. Sometimes I think "Hey, remember to contact this person when we need someone for such-and-such".

To do so, I currently have to create my own "database" (take notes by hand or create a list in e.g. Word or Excel). I've started (and lost) so many such lists...

For outsourcers like ourselves, it would simplify matters if there were some way of keeping track of interesting profiles, and of calling them all up when the need arises.

Surely it would only entail introducing a couple of tick-boxes.

Maybe non-outsourcers would find this feature useful too. Even if not, what harm would it do?

Cilian

(P.S. I suggested something similar before, but think it got bogged down in some mega-thread or other.)

Direct link Reply with quote

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
BookmarkZ :-) Jan 23, 2007

I think it's an excellent idea Cilian. I'm not an outsourcer, but I think a lot of people would find it useful. Translators looking to work with others in a given language combination, or in a certain subject area.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:30
French to English
Seconded :-) Jan 23, 2007

Sounds like a good idea. With maybe just a comments field so you add a short note about why you've 'bookmarked' them.

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 23:30
English to Spanish
Great idea! Jan 23, 2007

Not only for outsourcers, but for all community members.

My guess is that most of us visit peoples' profiles when browsing through forums, kudoz, etc. and would appreciate a way of keeping track of such visits, esp. when we find an interesting profile.

Andrea

Cilian O'Tuama
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Even better! Jan 23, 2007

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Sounds like a good idea. With maybe just a comments field so you add a short note about why you've 'bookmarked' them.

Yes, IMO that'd be an added bonus.

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:30
Dutch to English
+ ...
Just knew it ...... Jan 23, 2007

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

I often find impressive contributions and, wanting to learn more about the contributor, then visit the profile and check various things. Sometimes I think "Hey, remember to contact this person when we need someone for such-and-such".

Thanks - was convinced someday all these impressive contributions would amount to something

On a serious note, good idea.

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
My Lists (existing feature) Jan 23, 2007

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

.... When I'm browsing through discussions, forums, etc., I often find impressive contributions and, wanting to learn more about the contributor, then visit the profile and check various things. Sometimes I think "Hey, remember to contact this person when we need someone for such-and-such".

Have you ever tried the existing feature "My Lists"?

Available from your "My ProZ.com" menu, or via the link http://www.proz.com/?sp=lists

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2007-01-23 23:05]

Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 13:30
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thirded:) Jan 24, 2007

Great idea Cilian, I absolutely agree with you on this one, not even partially but the full 100%:)

Gianfranco, the "my lists" function would do it, but I can't see anything on other people's profiles where you can "add this person to my lists." I think that would make it a lot easier for people to use it and encourage more people to use it.

Mark

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 22:30
SITE FOUNDER
I like it Jan 24, 2007

Hi Cilian.

A good idea. I've made an entry in the jobs plan at http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/956/ (Search for your name; it is near the bottom of the page.)

Henry

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Great idea! Jan 24, 2007

Good to see that it will be implemented.

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Track a Profile Jan 24, 2007

Splendid idea, Cilian. I hope that it gets implemented soon.

Lucinda

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:30
English to French
+ ...
This is something that was mentioned when WWA was introduced Jan 27, 2007

Back then, I said it would make more sense if there was an interface that outsourcers can actually install locally, and the information stored by the outsourcer would also be stored locally and not on the Internet. This means two things: no information on the translator will be floating around in cyberspace, and nobody would know who an outsourcer has their eyes on.

Bookmarks sound good... Tracking also sounds good... Information collecting and storing sounds much worse!

[Edited at 2007-01-27 10:19]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

For Outsourcers: A Track-this-Profile function?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs