Mobile menu

Edit feature for KudoZ answers
Thread poster: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 09:03
German to English
+ ...
Nov 27, 2001

Can we get an edit feature for our KudoZ answers, please?

Once this feature has been enabled, members should not be allowed to post more than 1 answer (once you have posted an answer, the \"propose an answer\" prompt should be disabled).

Such an edit feature would drastically reduce the number of multiple postings (if you have new information, just edit your answer). Each edit should be time-coded (like the forums).

Direct link Reply with quote

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 15:03
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sound proposal Nov 27, 2001

indeed.

Backing up this one, for sure.

Nothing to add.

jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:03
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
agree Nov 27, 2001

More than once I have been caught by the dreaded \"What I shoulda said\" bug!

Allow the owner to edit his reply after pushing the button,

A great idea.

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:03
German to English
+ ...
The option should be to append a note ... Nov 28, 2001

I hate to say it, but I suspect there are unscrupulous people out there who would edit their answers and improve them once a better one had shown up underneath! So you\'d have to be able to append a note and leave the original answer in tact. Otherwise, a good idea

Regards

Mary

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree, Mary Nov 28, 2001

Yes, you are right, Mary. Unfortunately, there are some out there that would change their answers around after the fact.

So, the original answer should stay, but we should be able to add to it (and each addition would be time-coded).

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:03
French to English
No to editing an answer, yes to appending a note Nov 28, 2001

For the simple reason expressed by Mary, appending a note is the solution.

Nikki

xxxJon Zuber
Spanish to English
+ ...
Instead of time-coding edits, answers could be arranged by last edit. Nov 29, 2001

The first answer would be the one last edited the longest time ago, and the last answer would be the most recently edited one. Actually, as I posted below in this forum, I favor ordering answers first by net agrees, then by confidence, then by time received, but what I propose here could be applied on that subordinated level.

John Kinory
English to Hebrew
+ ...
No to ordering by confidence Dec 8, 2001

I agree with Mary\'s amendment to Werner\'s idea.

Confidence level ... hmmm ... when we get ridiculous replies by non-native speakers who express 100% confidence in their replies (yes, boys and girls, I know I am harping on this point ) - what price confidence?

... and: there is yet another new (?) wrinkle: people copy the correct answer, do a web-search for confirming instances, then answer as though it was their idea - the rationale seemingly being that the asker would choose the one with the web-reference, even though it adds nothing (since when have we been able to rely on the web for (e.g.) idiomatic English expressions?).

JK
[addsig]

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
You can now add a note to your kudoz answers. Dec 12, 2001

You can also \'retract\' answers (ie. make them visible to only yourself and site staff.) The options are fairly self-explanatory, and easy to find.

Thanks for the thoughts, folks.

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Thanks, and concerns about 'retracting' answers Dec 12, 2001

Thanks for giving us this \'note\' facility. I think it should be very useful in a lot of respects.

Whilst I appreciate that the \'retract\' option could have its merits when it comes to tidying up questions where answers have accidentally been submitted twice or more, I have concerns about its justification in other circumstances.

For a start, what is to stop someone deleting all their answers that are not chosen, hence appearing to have a perfect record in KudoZ answering? I notice that the answers are only \'hidden\' - presumably this means site staff would be able to track this sort of activity, but would it be evident to a potential customer browsing through their profile?

My other concern is less sinister. I feel that all answers are valid. Especially now we have the facility to add a note, and can append an \'oops\' or a \'forget my answer\' or a \'go with x\'s answer\', I see no reason why all answers should not be retained. Wrong or misguided answers show us the traps that are there to be fallen into, and are a useful learning experience. And, for me at least, that\'s a lot of what KudoZ is all about. (-:

Thanks for listening!

Mary

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Should wrong answers remain? Dec 12, 2001

Quote:

I feel that all answers are valid. Especially now we have the facility to add a note, and can append an \'oops\' or a \'forget my answer\' or a \'go with x\'s answer\', I see no reason why all answers should not be retained. Wrong or misguided answers show us the traps that are there to be fallen into, and are a useful learning experience. And, for me at least, that\'s a lot of what KudoZ is all about. (-:

Mary

Interesting point. Lets watch for a few days.

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Edit feature not working! Dec 13, 2001

Sorry! Me again ...

I hate to report it, but the edit feature does not appear to be working. I\'ve just tried to append a note to an answer (twice), and it\'s still showing up with no notes

I presume other people have been having similar problems, because I\'ve seen multiple identical notes appended to the same answer.

And now I feel like I\'m always the bearer of bad tidings ...

Sorry!

Mary

John Kinory
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Edit feature not working ... Dec 20, 2001

Indeed - I don\'t think it has been working for days.

I also think that the \'red/yellow folder\' at the front of the forums/threads list isn\'t working, because it remains red just after I\'ve visited the thread.

As to other points above: I agree that \'wrong\' answers should remain; they may be half-right, and anyway why censor? But what price this policy, when some members of this site squash answers simply because they are annoyed with the person giving it? Personally, I think this privilege is pointless anyway: we have moderators (well, the vast majority of them behave professionally!!), and of course we have Henry as the Capo di capi (meant in the nicest possible way, Henry! ). But if we have to have it, people abusing it should be warned most severely - myself, I would diss them at once. Now, squashing an answer because you think it is wrong, is bad. Squashing it because you consider it \'old-fashioned\' and you are not even a native speaker of the target language, is worse. Doing so because you have a personal axe to grind is [unprintable].

Cheers,

John K.
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Edit feature for KudoZ answers

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs