Chantal Kamgne
Chantal Kamgne  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:49
Member (2006)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Feb 8, 2007

I will like to suggest that, if others are interested, a field be added to our profile, indicating that we provide volonteer work, and the list of domains concerned. It could be made possible to toggle the visibility of such field.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-02-08 15:29]

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:19
German to English
Good suggestion Feb 8, 2007

Hi Chantal,

I think it's a good idea as long as the volunteer work is also translation or language related. There could be a line on the translator's profile saying something like "This translator is also willing to volunteer for non-profit organisations in the following areas." As you've already suggested, this field would not be compulsory.

By the way, I think this should be in the "ProZ.com suggestions" forum, not in "Being independent."

Best regards,... See more
Hi Chantal,

I think it's a good idea as long as the volunteer work is also translation or language related. There could be a line on the translator's profile saying something like "This translator is also willing to volunteer for non-profit organisations in the following areas." As you've already suggested, this field would not be compulsory.

By the way, I think this should be in the "ProZ.com suggestions" forum, not in "Being independent."

Best regards,
Niraja

[Edited at 2007-02-09 08:37]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Nice suggestion... Feb 8, 2007

How to do it practically?

How about if we make it an optional text field:

Conditions for pro bono work: []
Example: Interpreting / human rights, environmental, family

It would not be visible if none were entered.

Feedback appreciated.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 01:49
English to German
+ ...
not enviromental Feb 8, 2007

Henry wrote:

How to do it practically?

How about if we make it an optional text field:

Conditions for pro bono work: []
Example: Interpreting / human rights, environmental, family

It would not be visible if none were entered.

Feedback appreciated.
Halo, Human rights and family issues can be, but not environmental, these issues are in the hands of Cartelles, especially in europe and spreading outwards, considering one example of plastic, environmental spills, oil leakage, waste recycling, they have grown up to full fledged engineering subjects. Best Brandis

EdGoulart (X)
EdGoulart (X)
Local time: 21:49
English to Portuguese
KudoZ - Volunteer Feb 8, 2007

[quote]Niraja Nanjundan wrote:

I think it's a good idea as long as the voluntary work is also translation or language related. There could be a line on the translator's profile saying something like "This translator is also willing to volunteer for non-profit organisations in the following areas."

By the way, I think this should be in the "ProZ.com suggestions" forum..

And I'd say, why not having a site in the likenes of the "KudoZ Term Translation Questions"?

Best regards,
EdGoulart

Julia Leifeld
Julia Leifeld  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:49
English to German
+ ...
good suggestion Feb 8, 2007

Hello,
I think its a really good idea, also the environmental field as there are still enough environmental issues which are non-technical.

An optinal text field seem to be the best option.

Julia

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Good suggestion Feb 8, 2007

but why limit it?

Why not just one or more boxes that each user can label as s/he chooses?

(added:
I hadn't read Julia's posting. She seems to be suggesting the same thing.)

[Edited at 2007-02-08 19:28]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
whatever it would be... Feb 8, 2007

it should

a) be connected to translation (Henry's let's-stick-to "bass fishing" argument)
b) provable / testable

smo

PS: of course I support the idea - been doing if according to my a and b principles above, check my profile -

[Edited at 2007-02-08 20:21]

Chantal Kamgne
Chantal Kamgne  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Optional text field Feb 9, 2007

Thank you for moving this thread to the appropriate forum. You are all right, an optional text field where one would describe his/her conditions to performing pro bono work seems the best option. I for example am only ready to volunteer for a particular health issue.

de-ru-es-en
de-ru-es-en  Identity Verified
Germany
Russian to German
+ ...
No volunteer working as we need to earn money Feb 9, 2007

Dear colleagues,
do translate just for fun or in order to earn money for satisfying your needs?
Professional translator are service providers and no volunteer workers.
I think such a field would lead to many more enquiries on proz to work for much less money.

Paula Vaz-Carreiro
Paula Vaz-Carreiro  Identity Verified
Portuguese
+ ...
Good suggestion Feb 9, 2007

Burkhard Ziegler wrote:
I think such a field would lead to many more enquiries on proz to work for much less money.

I don't know whether this would prove to be true or not, however, I still think that it is a nice idea to have the option state one's conditions for doing volunteer work.

Personally, I will only do unpaid work for non-profit organisations and charities, and even then, only if I believe in their cause/values, etc. I think it is a really good thing that people are prepared to do something for no money if it contributes to a better world.

Claudia Luque Bedregal
Claudia Luque Bedregal  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Spanish
+ ...
nice suggestion Chantal! Feb 9, 2007

Hi,

I also like Chantal's suggestion and like Henry and others have suggested, it's a good idea to add an optional text field in the the profile feature, where one could indicate the fields in which he/she is willing to work pro bono.

Regards to everybody and have a nice weekend

Claudia

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:19
German to English
Volunteering can be very rewarding Feb 9, 2007

Burkhard Ziegler wrote:

Dear colleagues,
do translate just for fun or in order to earn money for satisfying your needs?
Professional translator are service providers and no volunteer workers.

Hi Burkhard,

I can understand your concerns, but I live in India, where there are many NGOs, non-profit organisations and charities working in various areas, who really don't have the funds to pay for translations and any other language related work. I've volunteered with two organisations here that help in improving the lives of street and working children and found the work both rewarding and interesting.

I earn enough money doing translations for agencies and direct clients and am therefore willing to give some of my time for a good cause.

Best regards,
Niraja

[Edited at 2007-02-09 15:27]

Paula Vaz-Carreiro
Paula Vaz-Carreiro  Identity Verified
Portuguese
+ ...
Volunteering can be very rewarding Feb 9, 2007

Niraja Nanjundan wrote:
I've volunteered with two organisations here that help in improving the lives of street and working children and found the work both rewarding and interesting.

I earn enough money doing translations for agencies and direct clients and am therefore willing to give some of my time for a good cause.
Niraja

[Edited at 2007-02-09 15:27]

I have done some unpaid work myself and would like to do more. Like you say, it is very rewarding. That is why I support the idea of being able to state that in my profile.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion for a new non compulsory profile field: willing to do volunteer work

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »