Mobile menu

Grading ungraded KudoZ questions (for those who answer and ask alike)(Mod:'done')
Thread poster: Jennie Sherrick, MA

Jennie Sherrick, MA
United States
Local time: 07:30
German to English
+ ...
Nov 26, 2002

I have noticed that a few questions I proposed answers to have yet to be graded. These are 3 to 4 weeks old, and the system\'s autograde has yet to grade them as well.

Now, that just may be a \'bug\' in the system, which has happened to me before and I\'m sure has happened to others as well. This is not my point though.

And I understand there are times when a person posing a question might be so bogged down with work that they don\'t have time to answer the question right away.

But to not grade the majority of the time the responses to old and/or MULTIPLE questions they pose, or to take a bit long to grade them is beyond my realm of understanding.

I also understand that sometimes it is difficult to choose the \'right\' answer, and the problem is remedied by allowing the autograde to take on this difficult task. Okay, fine, every once in a while...I can understand that as well. But to allow a number of open questions to sit there ungraded the majority of the time and just let the autograde pick them up the majority of the time is just rude and ungrateful in my eyes.

Maybe call it an oversight...the asker doesn\'t realize they have a number of open questions. Perhaps then it would be nice to suggest a quick link to \'unanswered questions\' or \'KudoZ history\'. I don\'t see one on profile pages right now. The only place I know of to check an asker\'s history or your own to see if you have ungraded questions is on the page where the question is asked. Other than that, here\'s where you can check your own KudoZ history (replace the ##### at the end with your own translator number).

http://www.proz.com/?sp=k_h_a&eid_s=#####.

Perhaps it might be a good suggestion as well to not allow people, who constantly leave multiple questions ungraded, to ask further questions. This problem seems to be remedied by allowing the autograde to answer those questions after 2 weeks, but this system sometimes fails. Maybe after a week of having multiple questions (not just the given one or two to which the asker understandably may not be able to choose an answer, but maybe 10-15) left ungraded, it would be feasible to ask that these askers shouldn\'t be able to ask more questions until they grade those multiple ungraded questions.

Perhaps this is a bit strict and maybe even impossible to implement, which is fine. I just wanted to bring up a point. As I see it, the askers are in need of assistance. The answerers, whether they take a few seconds to suggest an answer to that person in need of help, or whether they take 20 minutes to look up further references, explain their answers, or even to those who agree/neutral/disagree...we have all rendered assistance to askers. As answerers, we have taken time out of our schedules to give help to a fellow ProZ colleague (or anonymous passer-by). And the help is often reciprocated when you or I in turn become the asker, pose a question, and are in need of assistance.

But isn\'t it a lovely \'thank you\' to give to someone by actually taking the time to grade those questions, when the answerers have taken the time to answer your question?

I\'m not pointing anyone out in particular, as this has happened on more than one occasion by more than one person, and I\'ve seen it happen to other answerers besides myself. Perhaps, as I said, it is an oversight on the asker\'s part. And I\'ll give the benefit of the doubt to them once or twice. But after that I doubt I will take the time to answer any more of their questions, as to me having more and multiple(not recent, and I\'m talking around 20 ungraded questions) ungraded questions than graded questions, is just ungrateful and is to me is (even if it may be slightly) abusing the KudoZ system.

When someone poses a question, maybe take the time to look at their \'asker history\'. I looked at one recently who had, as I mentioned above, around 20 unanswered questions, all between a month and 2 weeks old! And many of those questions had excellent answers and one answerer even had at least a page long of references, explanations, etc. included with their response. Add up all the time all those answerers gave to every one of those ungraded questions for that one asker of all those same questions, and you\'d probably have HOURS worth of research done. Now for the askers, again, is taking a few moments of your time to grade an old question or to at least email your answerers to thank them for their time and assistance too much to ask?

Feeling neglected,

Jennie

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 18:51]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:30
English to German
+ ...
Don't feel neglected Nov 26, 2002

Hi Jennie,

Note that askers not grading their questions are reminded several times by the system; after a certain period (2 weeks, if I remember correctly), questions that are still ungraded are \"auto-graded\" by the system, based on peer grading.

You mention that these questions are 3 to 4 weeks old - now that does ring a bell: you may recall the systems problems suffered by the site at that time. In fact, a number of questions were lost - it is possible that the asker is no longer able to see or access them.

Regarding your suggestion for restrictions, this is already happening, albeit not automatically. Moderators watch out for askers who fail to grade (don\'t hesitate to contact the moderator if you feel something should be happening), and send a friendly reminder. If the asker chooses to ignore this, moderators can implement a warning that is shown every time that user tries to enter a question, or block access to this function altogether. This has been used a few times already.

The benefit of doing it this way is that the moderator is able to judge the merits of each case.

If you send me the URLs of the questions you referred to, I\'ll have a look.

HTH - best regards, Ralf

Jennie Sherrick, MA
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf Nov 26, 2002

Perhaps such a warning is what happened with one of the askers of the questions I mentioned (or maybe not). But I\'m glad at least to know for future reference that restrictions are already taking place concerning this.

Not feeling so neglected anymore.

Jennie

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
OK, Ralf Dec 1, 2002

Now - on a related issue:

What about people who ONLY ask and NEVER propose any answers to others\' questions?

Trudy

Susanna & Christian Popescu GbR
Germany
Romanian to German
+ ...
And what about those who... Dec 1, 2002

only disagree without offering alternatives or motivating their decision, just for the sake of seing their names somewhere among the answerers?
[addsig]

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Answers... Dec 5, 2002

...sorry for the delay, but I was \"on the road\" and didn\'t have a proper Internet connection.

Quote:

What about people who ONLY ask and NEVER propose any answers to others\' questions?

What about them? Asking KudoZ questions is open to all users of the site - answering them is voluntary. IOW asking KudoZ questions is not conditional upon answering others.

Quote:

And what about those who only disagree without offering alternatives or motivating their decision, just for the sake of seing their names somewhere among the answerers?

Two things you can do here:

1. Use the response function to ask for a substantiation of the disagreement.

2. If this persists, contact the moderator for the language pair concerned.

Maurizio Valente  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Suggestions for grading Feb 20, 2003

IMHO, the grading system is controversial.

**Lasy graders**. One should grade his answers within a few days, not after 2 weeks. If he or she doesn\'t, the system should a) send a reminder b) grade the answer automatically based on the agree\'s from peers, provided they exist and are enough ( I understand this already is happening) c) if the asker puts a remarkable number of new questions but has several (let us say, more than 10) ungraded questions left, he or she should be prompted to clear his or her \"backlog\" and prevented from putting his or her question until he has fixed it.

Another point (**early grading**): At the other extreme, many questions are graded within a few minutes. This is clearly in favour of people with a fast always-on Internet connection and are not very busy with their translations. They are not necessarily those who provide more accurate answers. I suggest that an asker should not be allowed to grade any question before one or two hours. Furthermore, askers should be invited not to use any criteria based on timelinessness. The emphasis should be on the quality of the answer and not the No. of milliseconds spent to post it.

Third (**authoritativeness**). I suspect that some askers might be conditioned by the fact that the answerer has a high ranking or is a power-answerer. Therefore I suggest that the answerer should be made invisible until the question has been graded. In other terms, one would know who is the peer who gave the most helpful answer ONLY after grading.

(These suggestions, if accepted, might become a headache for software developers, I fear. )

HTH

Maurizio Valente

Andrei Albu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 14:30
English to Romanian
+ ...
Many useful suggestions... Feb 24, 2003

... with which I do agree, but wouldn\'t it be to the benefit of more people if this thread were moved to where it should belong, that is the KudoZ/ KudoZ. net forum?

Just a humble opinion

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Some are already in place... Feb 25, 2003

Hi Maurizio,

Quote:

O**Lasy graders**. One should grade his answers within a few days, not after 2 weeks. If he or she doesn\'t, the system should a) send a reminder

That\'s what happens already.

Quote:

b) grade the answer automatically based on the agree\'s from peers, provided they exist and are enough ( I understand this already is happening)

Correct.

Quote:
c) if the asker puts a remarkable number of new questions but has several (let us say, more than 10) ungraded questions left, he or she should be prompted to clear his or her \"backlog\" and prevented from putting his or her question until he has fixed it.

That\'s also happening, albeit not automatically, but by way of intervention by moderators.

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Ralf Feb 26, 2003

I show two ungraded questions.

In the case of the first one, I rejected all the answers. Apparently this hasn\'t made it go away.

The second one I graded TWICE already, and it still shows up as ungraded. This may have been due to the crash, but I don\'t want to look at it anymore! Can\'t you just make them go away??

Trudy

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Please contact me directly... Feb 26, 2003

...and give me the URL; I\'ll have a look at it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Grading ungraded KudoZ questions (for those who answer and ask alike)(Mod:'done')

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs