Possibility to opt out of 'group mail' sent via ProZ directory?
Thread poster: Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:19
English to French
+ ...
Feb 23, 2007

I was just wondering if it is possible to get some kind of an option to not be included in ProZ messages that are sent to more than one member. I don't mean to turn off messages altogether - I just don't appreciate the kind of messages that are sent to hundreds of us, asking us to translate 12,000 words within 48 hours for 4 cents per word, that also require Trados, a university degree in translation and preferably also a university degree in rocket science.

I am always up for some
... See more
I was just wondering if it is possible to get some kind of an option to not be included in ProZ messages that are sent to more than one member. I don't mean to turn off messages altogether - I just don't appreciate the kind of messages that are sent to hundreds of us, asking us to translate 12,000 words within 48 hours for 4 cents per word, that also require Trados, a university degree in translation and preferably also a university degree in rocket science.

I am always up for some competition but not the savage, life-or-death kind. I also am not interested in replying to a job message that has received 42 replies five minutes after it was sent, only to be told I wasn't fast enough on my Outlook.

It is OK to be contacted by an outsourcer because said outsourcer targeted me personally, maybe along with a few other translators. But to me, it is not OK to go fishing on a site where people pay to be members. That, to me, is spamming and I refuse to be a victim of that. I can get spammed free - why would I pay for it?

Is there any way to opt out of mass mail? Can you please add a feature to do just that? I would greatly appreciate any effort, as this whole mass mailing thing is really getting annoying.

Thanks!

[Edited at 2007-02-23 06:22]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-02-23 08:09]
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Agree Feb 23, 2007

I, too, would opt for it.

Great idea.

One loses a lot of precious time replying to such e-mails.

[Edited at 2007-02-23 07:26]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
OK Feb 23, 2007

Hi Viktoria,

We'll add the option of opting out of group mail sent via the directory, while continuing to receive individual mails sent via the directory.

Thanks for posting.

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Thanks Henry Feb 23, 2007

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 22:19
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Controls already available Feb 23, 2007

Please note that the current features already allow you a degree of control over the notifications you receive.

If you visit the "Settings" tab of your (new) profile and go to the "Notifications settings" section, you will find settings for your profile emails and separate dashboards for jobs and KudoZ notifications.

Regards,
Enrique

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Henry and Enrique Feb 23, 2007

It is true that there are already some tools available to keep ProZ mail in check, but none of them allow me to receive mail only from outsourcers that send individual e-mails. At the moment, there is no way to distinguish individual mails from group mails - and that's what I am having trouble with.

I did pick up a few clients through ProZ mail and I am really grateful for those, but I occasionally get ridiculous offers that very evidently go fishing on ProZ, and not only is it a wa
... See more
It is true that there are already some tools available to keep ProZ mail in check, but none of them allow me to receive mail only from outsourcers that send individual e-mails. At the moment, there is no way to distinguish individual mails from group mails - and that's what I am having trouble with.

I did pick up a few clients through ProZ mail and I am really grateful for those, but I occasionally get ridiculous offers that very evidently go fishing on ProZ, and not only is it a waste of time for me, but it is also insulting. In fact, I think that for any outsourcer who wants to reach a large number of service providers, the best option is still to post a job. In the "real" world, nobody comes ringing at my door to offer me a job that they have been offering to all my neighbours on my street. The only people who came ringing were the ones who wanted me specifically. I think it should be the same here.

However, on second thought, I think the best way to go about it is to have the option to 1) get only individual messages, 2) get only group messages that were sent to 10 LSPs or less or 3) get all messages without discrimination. Like I said, I don't want to be targeted by fishing e-mails, but if an outsourcer has, say, 6 possible candidates among whom they would like to take their pick, I would still be interested. So, I am not asking to be completely excluded from mass mailing, I just prefer to be excluded from the large ones sent to hundreds of us.

You probably also know that the more people a job message is sent to, the poorer the terms of the contract (rates, deadlines, etc.) become. I think this could be a nice way for me - and other users - to filter out the bad seeds without having to ask ProZ to "police" the site. After all, as you have said many times before, ProZ privileges an approach where all users are free to decide whether they enter a business relationship and it is up to them what they judge acceptable.

Thanks for caring!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possibility to opt out of 'group mail' sent via ProZ directory?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »