Mobile menu

ProZ: The translators workplace (or is it the translators' workplace?)
Thread poster: Elliot Everett

Elliot Everett  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:10
Spanish to English
Feb 23, 2007

Ok, this has been bugging me for a while, so here goes:

In the upper right hand corner of the main ProZ web page, it says: ProZ - The translators workplace.

Aren't we missing an apostrophe?

My apologies if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find any related posts.

Take care,
Elliot

Direct link Reply with quote

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 17:10
Catalan to English
+ ...
Discussed before Feb 23, 2007

Hi Elliot,

Take a look at: http://www.proz.com/post/309620#309620

Cheers,
Andy

[Edited at 2007-02-23 13:04]

Antoinette Verburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:10
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Search engine reasons Feb 23, 2007

Hi Elliot,

This seems to be for search engine reasons, see

http://www.proz.com/post/309620#309620

Elliot Everett  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:10
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the link, Antoinette and Andy Feb 23, 2007

I still don't agree with the site staff member's reasoning. And if it actually were the case that apostrophes hurt SEO rankings, then they should make it an image.

It just looks unprofessional in my humble opinion.

Take care,
Elliot

[Edited at 2007-02-23 13:46]

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:10
German to English
+ ...
Saw it too Feb 23, 2007

Hi Elliot,

I noticed this too and it had also been bugging me. At the risk of sounding pernickety, I don't think things like this should be overlooked because it is technically a grammatical error and what kind of impression does that give of a website for language professionals?

Best,

Sarah

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:10
English to French
+ ...
Me too Feb 24, 2007

But if it is a search engine issue, why not make up an image of it, with the apostrophy, which can't be read by a search engine anyway, and put a text label on it that only appears upon mouseover that will omit the apostrophy? The name of the image could also avoid the apostrophy.

This way, the search engine issue would be gone but the phrase would also appear correctly on the site. I agree that such a misspell looks less than professional in a translators workplace [sic].

Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:10
German to English
+ ...
Food for thought/food for Google Feb 25, 2007

The word "Translation" pulls more Google hits in total than "translators" (or " translator's", for that matter).

Sadly though, "translation" alone does us no favours on search engines. It seems we get lost in "translation", so to speak.

I'd guess that interested parties would more likely be using "translation" as a search word, rather than "translators" or "workplaces". What do you think?

I don't know all the tricks of prompting search engines, except that you have to spread as many variations on a theme as possible. But maybe the above fact could be taken into account by those that do when "spreading the bait" for us?

I was spontaneously going to suggest sticking with "The Translation Workplace", which we use elsewhere anyway, and which gives us an awesome trawl in a Google search.

And it looks like someone agree's.

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/919510

Best
Chris

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:10
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
The workplace for translators Feb 26, 2007

Why not "The workplace for translators" ?

This would neatly avoid the technical problem apparently involved in using the apostrophe (please note spelling), while remaining grammatical.

Kind regards, Jenny.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ: The translators workplace (or is it the translators' workplace?)

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs