ProZ scrollZ (and scrollZ and scrollZ and scrollZ)
Thread poster: Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:06
German to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2007

How many more adverts and extra boxes will be added to clutter up the front page at ProZ Home?

At the moment, you even have to scroll down to see all of the PAID ADVERTS, let alone the actual language content.
The initial screen currently sports 3 advertising panels (mainly showing paid adverts and including the gargantuan Trados/Wordfast whopper in the middle), the featured translator and agency, a premium job which I didn't ask for and don't want (presumably another revenu
... See more
How many more adverts and extra boxes will be added to clutter up the front page at ProZ Home?

At the moment, you even have to scroll down to see all of the PAID ADVERTS, let alone the actual language content.
The initial screen currently sports 3 advertising panels (mainly showing paid adverts and including the gargantuan Trados/Wordfast whopper in the middle), the featured translator and agency, a premium job which I didn't ask for and don't want (presumably another revenue cow), plus a couple of other boxes that are only needed occasionally and a bit of small print about the site (which nobody ever reads after their first visit).
That makes 11 distractors (plus the logo). The only really useful thing is the menu.

Please unclutter the layout and bring some real content into the intial screen.
(Or am I a minority of one, and everybody else comes here for the joy of the adverts?)
Collapse

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Minority of two (minimum) ... Mar 1, 2007

Here's an easy "workaround":

DON'T use IE. Use Firefox instead. Install Adblock Plus. You can download it here for various Firefox versions:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/

When Adblock Plus is activated, you won't see ANY of the adverts that are bothering you now.

Kolleg
... See more

DON'T use IE. Use Firefox instead. Install Adblock Plus. You can download it here for various Firefox versions:

When Adblock Plus is activated, you won't see ANY of the adverts that are bothering you now.

Kollegiale Grüße,
LB
Collapse

Paula Vaz-Carreiro
Paula Vaz-Carreiro  Identity Verified
Portuguese
+ ...
Ad blocking?! Brilliant! Mar 1, 2007

LittleBalu wrote:
When Adblock Plus is activated, you won't see ANY of the adverts that are bothering you

Ad blocking?! Brilliant! thanks a lot for that tip LittleBalu.

[minority = 3 ]

[Edited at 2007-03-01 13:12]

Victor Dewsbery
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not much help (still scrollZ and scrollZ and scrollZ) Mar 1, 2007

LittleBalu wrote:

I already use Firefox 2.
Installed the add-on and tried it.
It now removes just one ad (the ad in the dark green top bar), and it changes the ad in the left column (below user info) to a powwow announcment rather than a Wordfast nag box. But it does not affect the WORDFAST WHOPPER in the middle of the screen, and I still have to scroll down to see the unwanted premium job in full.

Any Wordfast users out there?
Can you check whether the TM allows you to type the words "subtlety", "gentle" or "non-obtrusive"?

(Or is it just the marketing department that is, ... er, challenged on that score?)

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:06
Spanish
+ ...
You can choose what to hide Mar 1, 2007

There's a Firefox extension called 'Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper', the name pretty much says it all. It adds an option on the Adblock right-click menu, so you can select yourself what elements to hide. It's very helpful.

Link: Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper

[Edited at 2007-03-01 14:49]

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Done! Thanks, Claudia. Mar 1, 2007

Claudia Alvis wrote:

There's a Firefox extension called 'Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper', the name pretty much says it all. It adds an option on the Adblock right-click menu, so you can select yourself what elements to hide. It's very helpful.

Link: Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper

[Edited at 2007-03-01 14:49]

You live and learn. Thanks a lot, Claudia.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:06
English to French
+ ...
It bothers me too Mar 2, 2007

And there is other advertising-related content in other parts of the site that I am not interested in but have to put up with - let's not mention those now, what Victor listed so far is already more than enough

I understand that the other posters just wanted to help with their proposed solutions - but I don't think it is up to the users to fiddle with their software to find a remedy to this, especially if they have pai
... See more
And there is other advertising-related content in other parts of the site that I am not interested in but have to put up with - let's not mention those now, what Victor listed so far is already more than enough

I understand that the other posters just wanted to help with their proposed solutions - but I don't think it is up to the users to fiddle with their software to find a remedy to this, especially if they have paid to use the site. Although ProZ has every right to advertise and tap into additional sources of revenue, I still have trouble understanding why they can't go about it in a more subtle manner. It may sound like I'm whining - as many of us have been lately - but I have to say that it does give the impression that the interests of those behind these adverts are being considered much more than the interests of simple users, whether they pay for their membership or not.

To me, it is becoming clear that corporate giants and mere freelancers can't coexist peacefully on the same website...

At least they could make the Trados/Wordfast advert smaller - if you people made a simple banner with the basic details, I am sure people who may be interested in the offer would gladly click on it to find out more. You've got nothing to lose!
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
That's exactly the point!! Mar 3, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

I understand that the other posters just wanted to help with their proposed solutions - but I don't think it is up to the users to fiddle with their software to find a remedy to this, especially if they have paid to use the site. Although ProZ has every right to advertise and tap into additional sources of revenue, I still have trouble understanding why they can't go about it in a more subtle manner. It may sound like I'm whining - as many of us have been lately - but I have to say that it does give the impression that the interests of those behind these adverts are being considered much more than the interests of simple users, whether they pay for their membership or not.

I felt so unnerved by this terrible Wf ad that I had to install a software to block it right away. This is unbelievable! I am not interested in this offer, I am a paying member - why am I and probably thousands of other users bothered by those intrusive ads?

But I am sure the staff it too busy to listen to us while already looking for other similar ads.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-03-03 20:49]

justin C
justin C
United States
Local time: 11:06
English
How about having an option to hide the TGB box and premium jobs box on the home page? Mar 6, 2007

Hello everyone,

The Wordfast 'ad' that has been referenced is a translator group buy promotion, which many members of the site find to be beneficial because of the cheaper prices that can be obtained for industry-specific software such as SDL Trados or Wordfast. As for the premium jobs, you should only see the premium jobs that you are able to quote on, I will check on this though to make sure.

Would a possible solution be to create an option for members to hide the TGB
... See more
Hello everyone,

The Wordfast 'ad' that has been referenced is a translator group buy promotion, which many members of the site find to be beneficial because of the cheaper prices that can be obtained for industry-specific software such as SDL Trados or Wordfast. As for the premium jobs, you should only see the premium jobs that you are able to quote on, I will check on this though to make sure.

Would a possible solution be to create an option for members to hide the TGB and premium job boxes on the home page (like you can do with off topic forum posts on the home page)?

We're here and listening, Christel!

Best regards,
Justin
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I referred only to the TGB ads Mar 7, 2007

which should not be, IMHO, as big as they are.

justin wrote:

Would a possible solution be to create an option for members to hide the TGB and premium job boxes on the home page (like you can do with off topic forum posts on the home page)?

We're here and listening, Christel!

I certainly would not dislike to see some premium job, whatever this is, but unfortunately never saw any:-) Where do we find this feature?

On the other hand, yes, I would really like an option to hide the TGB box which in the meantime has changed to Trados.

Thanks for listening, Justin!

[Bearbeitet am 2007-03-07 21:52]

Victor Dewsbery
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, yes and thanks Mar 7, 2007

justin wrote:

Yes and yes, definitely!

We're here and listening, ...!

Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ scrollZ (and scrollZ and scrollZ and scrollZ)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »