Thread poster: JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 06:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 9, 2007

Could we see a preview of our forum posts before we send them, as we do with KudoZ questions? I think it would greatly reduce subsequent editing for typos and erroneous codes. I hate looking at my beautiful post and seeing I have typed [b]hate[b/], for instance, or written my own comment within the "reply with quote" box.

justin C
justin C
United States
English
Good idea! I've added this to our list of TODOs Mar 9, 2007

Hi Jane,

I like your idea, and think it would be a helpful feature to have in the forums.

I have submitted an internal support ticket so that a developer can develop this feature in the near future. We'll respond back here when preview screen is ready to go.

Best regards,
Justin

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! Justin outdid himself! Mar 9, 2007

justin wrote:

Hi Jane,

I like your idea, and think it would be a helpful feature to have in the forums.

I have submitted an internal support ticket so that a developer can develop this feature in the near future. We'll respond back here when preview screen is ready to go.

Best regards,
Justin

My friends, I've had dealings with Justin before when I've sent a support ticket, and he's always been efficient, pleasant, and fast. But two minutes???? I'm impressed!

Many thanks, Justin. I'll be watching for it!

Jane

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 05:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Great minds..., etc.? ;P Mar 9, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:

Could we see a preview of our forum posts before we send them, as we do with KudoZ questions? I think it would greatly reduce subsequent editing for typos and erroneous codes. I hate looking at my beautiful post and seeing I have typed [b]hate[b/], for instance, or written my own comment within the "reply with quote" box.

That's exactly what I was thinking yesterday, you and Justin both beat me to it

Thanks!!

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:31
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Good for nighthawks Mar 9, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:

Excellent idea.

I often dip into the forums later in the day when the mind is still sharp but the eyes are too fuzzy for me to want to work.

It's a pain having to edit just for the sake of the [+quote] formatting [(b/8%].

(Not edited once, so far)

Cheers
Chris

l Gaston l
l Gaston l  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:31
Afrikaans to Ancient Hebrew
+ ...
Post Previews added Mar 11, 2007

Preview was added before submitting a post

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Close, but no cigar--yet. Mar 12, 2007

l Gaston l wrote:

Preview was added before submitting a post

Thank you Gaston, I really appreciate the quick response to my suggestion. But it doesn't quite work right yet. To be effective, it needs to show us what our post is actually going to look like, not just the codes. In fact, I find it harder to proofread my work in the preview mode than when composing, because the preview pane showed a backslash before each apostrophe. And there was no way of knowing whether I got the smiley right (I didn't) or whether it would just show up in the forum as ;-D (which it did).

(I just tried a couple of smiley variations to see which, if any, works.)

So, could you please do some tweaking? Thanks.

Jane

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Doesn't quite look right yet Mar 12, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:
But it doesn't quite work right yet. To be effective, it needs to show us what our post is actually going to look like, not just the codes.

I agree. The preview should look exactly like it will be displayed in the forum itself. No codes must be visible, and the paragraph breaks must be respected. I can't proofread a post that is all one block of text.

Also I suggest that during the preview stage, the other posts from the thread aren't displayed, so that it is easier/quicker for a user to move to the end of the preview.

Alternatively, don't have a preview function, but let the user be taken to the top of his own post directly after he posted it, so that he can see it (I can't remember if this was the previous way of doing it).

[Edited at 2007-03-12 10:07]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:31
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Alternative solution Mar 12, 2007

JaneTranslates wrote:
Could we see a preview of our forum posts before we send them? I think it would greatly reduce subsequent editing for typos and erroneous codes.

There is IMO no difference between editing a post for typos during a preview or during a post-edit. Both involve editing it, and some lazy people will not edit in any case.

Previewing posts can be useful for people whose posts don't display immediately. So if such people make mistakes in their posts, they don't know about it because they don't see it immediately.

My suggestion is therefore:

* For users whose posts display immediately, let there be three buttons: Post, Preview and Cancel (allow them to post direct or to use the Preview feature if they prefer).
* For users whose posts do not display immediately (I think this happens if their identity has not yet been verified), let them automatically be taken to a preview of their post before they can finally submit it.

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea, Samuel! Mar 12, 2007

I hadn't thought of the additional problem for non-members whose posts are subject to delay and review. Their need for a preview screen is, indeed, greater than that of members, and I think your suggestion is excellent. However:

Samuel Murray wrote:

There is IMO no difference between editing a post for typos during a preview or during a post-edit.

I do disagree here. For me, there is a difference. The whole point of my original suggestion is that I want to be able to proofread my post, and make sure all the codes do what I meant to do, before ANYBODY ELSE sees my post. As soon as my contribution is posted, emails go out to everyone who is tracking that forum, and my original (unedited) post (or part of it, anyway) is preserved for posterity, in all its glory and with all its typos.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Both involve editing it, and some lazy people will not edit in any case.

You're right, of course. Some people (lazy? or just unobsessed?) will not edit anyway. That's their choice.

l Gaston l
+ ...
Bugs fixed. Preview feature live again. Mar 13, 2007

Dear all,

Preview feature is working, with some improvements, and (I hope) with no bugs.

Best,
Gaston

JaneTranslates
Puerto Rico
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cool! Let's check it out. Mar 13, 2007

l Gaston l wrote:

Dear all,

Preview feature is working, with some improvements, and (I hope) with no bugs.

Best,
Gaston

OK, I'm doing some contractions, some codes to see if they display properly, and a couple of smileys.

I hope everything works! Thanks, in any case, Gaston, for your attention and efforts.

Jane

PS The preview looks perfect. Thank you so much!

l Gaston l
+ ...
Glad to help. Mar 13, 2007

Just that

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: Preview screen for forum posts

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »