https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/68368-suggestion%3A_compulsory_specifying_of_subject_in_job_offers.html

Suggestion: Compulsory specifying of subject in job-offers
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:01
Czech to German
+ ...
Mar 15, 2007

Hi,

maybe this has been discussed before but apparently (if it had) even platinum-members don't always pay attention to it: A large job, very urgent, but without any mentionning of the kind of text involved. Recent example: http://www.proz.com/job/158888 . How are we supposed to bid on such jobs, moreover in cases like this one with very large volume and very tight deadline? I have no idea abo
... See more
Hi,

maybe this has been discussed before but apparently (if it had) even platinum-members don't always pay attention to it: A large job, very urgent, but without any mentionning of the kind of text involved. Recent example: http://www.proz.com/job/158888 . How are we supposed to bid on such jobs, moreover in cases like this one with very large volume and very tight deadline? I have no idea about medecine, for example, so I would not send them a mail but how can I know what it is about?
Would it therefore be possible to add a feature in the job-posting section that the next page will not appear unless the subject has been specified?

Just an idea...

Charlotte
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Very good suggestion! Mar 15, 2007

This has been missing for years.

Also: Volume should be compulsory too: Lines or words (either to be chosen by the outsourcer).
'Pages' should NOT be an option.

MW

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
I agree 100% Mar 15, 2007

Charlotte,

I've wanted to raise this topic (or send a suggestion to the staff)! I do just one specific kind of translation (social science) and so of course, I wouldn't apply for other work. I also want to know who the target audience is and whether the document is going to be published or is for some other purpose. There are all sorts of other possible details that the poster could include, too. So, altering the form that job offerers fill out so that it encourages them to add more
... See more
Charlotte,

I've wanted to raise this topic (or send a suggestion to the staff)! I do just one specific kind of translation (social science) and so of course, I wouldn't apply for other work. I also want to know who the target audience is and whether the document is going to be published or is for some other purpose. There are all sorts of other possible details that the poster could include, too. So, altering the form that job offerers fill out so that it encourages them to add more information would be very helpful.

Patricia
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:01
Dutch to English
+ ...
Seconded Mar 15, 2007

Patricia Rosas wrote:

Charlotte,

I've wanted to raise this topic (or send a suggestion to the staff)! I do just one specific kind of translation (social science) and so of course, I wouldn't apply for other work. I also want to know who the target audience is and whether the document is going to be published or is for some other purpose. There are all sorts of other possible details that the poster could include, too. So, altering the form that job offerers fill out so that it encourages them to add more information would be very helpful.

Patricia

I hardly ever quote via the site, but did land one of my better clients through it a few years back (a legal translation agency). I can only second this suggestion, all too often jobs are posted with insufficient information. Sometimes to the extent the mind boggles .....

But then again, those are the type of agencies it's best to probably avoid. If they can't be bothered sourcing properly by targeting qualified translators, I frankly wouldn't waste my time working with them.

Still, would save time all-round. Good suggestion(s)!

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 18:01
Dutch to English
+ ...
Another thing... Mar 15, 2007

I totally agree, Charlotte. It's frustrating to look at a job posting that does not provide the necessary details. Another thing that's most often missing is details about the language. With English, for example, do they want UK English or US English - very important to know for certain kinds of documents.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:01
English to French
+ ...
I agree Mar 15, 2007

This is an excellent idea.

What I would also change in job posting forms is the rate field - there shouldn't be one! Let the service providers state their own rate and see if you can negotiate.

Birgit Richter
Birgit Richter  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
compulsory info in job offers Mar 15, 2007

Charlotte Blank wrote:

Hi,

maybe this has been discussed before but apparently (if it had) even platinum-members don't always pay attention to it: A large job, very urgent, but without any mentionning of the kind of text involved. Recent example: http://www.proz.com/job/158888 . How are we supposed to bid on such jobs, moreover in cases like this one with very large volume and very tight deadline? I have no idea about medecine, for example, so I would not send them a mail but how can I know what it is about?
Would it therefore be possible to add a feature in the job-posting section that the next page will not appear unless the subject has been specified?

Just an idea...

Charlotte

the main things that I would like to see become compulsory information are
- subject
- purpose
- volume
- deadline
I feel this is essential information providers need to calculate quotes.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Auditur et altera pars Mar 16, 2007

Proz would probably prefer if we simply ignored this kind of trashy write-ups. Otoh these adds do make a cheap and stupid impression...Re my title - there may be valid cases, where the omission is not just due to a sloppy texter in a hurry. Not that I would know one...

Regards and a good point anyhow

[Edited at 2007-03-16 02:42]

Alison Jenner
Alison Jenner  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
I agree!! Mar 16, 2007

Birgit Richter wrote:

[the main things that I would like to see become compulsory information are
- subject
- purpose
- volume
- deadline
I feel this is essential information providers need to calculate quotes.

I completely agree. It would make life so much easier

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Deadline already mandatory Mar 16, 2007

Hi all,

While I generally agree with the suggestions made, I'd like to point out that a deadline must be stated already. To check this, open the job posting form at http://www.proz.com/?sp=jobs&sp_mode=post - you'll find that delivery deadline and quoting deadline are required fields.

Steffen

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 21:01
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Added the issue to the to-dos list Jun 15, 2007

This issue has been added to our to-dos list.

Thanks for bringing good ideas and help us improve!

Kind regards,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: Compulsory specifying of subject in job-offers

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »