Support FAQ (repeated questions appearing every week on the forum)
Thread poster: Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 18:12
Spanish to French
+ ...
Mar 16, 2007

I see that some questions come back everyweek. The typical example would be:
"TRADOS Toolbar disappeared" (no offense meant for the translator who posted this question).

Would it be possible to add a link on the Home page with links to threads related to issues frequently faced by translators in their everyday work and which appears repeatedly among the discussions?

[Modifié le 2007-03-16 16:12]

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another option: like the support ticket interface Mar 16, 2007

Nicolas Coyer wrote:

Would it be possible to add a link on the Home page with links to threads related to issues frequently faced by translators in their everyday work and which appears repeatedly among the discussions?

This is a good point, Nicolas. Perhaps it might be helpful when someone is posting a new forum topic to have an interface similar to the support ticket one.

There, you type in the topic of your concern, and related help topics are listed as suggestions. Only if your query is not dealt with there can you go forward to submit a support ticket.

Maybe something similar could be done for someone posting new forum posts, that does a forum search to identify previous listings in that subject matter.

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:12
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Floating threads with links Mar 16, 2007

Nicholas Ferreira wrote:
This is a good point, Nicolas. Perhaps it might be helpful when someone is posting a new forum topic to have an interface similar to the support ticket one.

Perhaps there is not even the need for special coding, the same result could be achieved using an existing feature (currently not activated in these forums), a floating thread, which is a thread that stays on top of the forum listing and therefore tends to not be missed.

Such thread could be used by each forum moderator, who knows what tends to come up repeatedly in a forum, to provide a list of links to all the most frequent discussions.

It's a little bit of work for each forum moderator, but it would be of great benefit to all forum participants, and it would reduce the annoyance of seeing some issues raised or questions asked every week, or even more frequently...

bye
Gianfranco

[Modificato alle 2007-03-16 17:50]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, of course... Mar 17, 2007

Nicolas Coyer wrote:

Yes, of course, but someone would have to sit and create those links. Are you a Trados user? Would you be willing to create such a list of frequently asked questions? Ideally this would later turn into a FAQ, in which answers from the relevant threads are actually copied onto the FAQ document. So... would you be willing?

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 09:12
English to Chinese
+ ...
Improve the "search" feature Mar 18, 2007

I think if the whole search feature was revamped then people would be more likely to use it before posting the same old questions that come up again and again.

I remember reading a while ago, very good suggestions made by Samuel on how it could be much better utilised, e.g. searching for just English results etc. I'm not sure what happened to the suggestions, I guess they were put on the "to do" list.

Let's hope that the excellent suggestions made like that, make it to
... See more
I think if the whole search feature was revamped then people would be more likely to use it before posting the same old questions that come up again and again.

I remember reading a while ago, very good suggestions made by Samuel on how it could be much better utilised, e.g. searching for just English results etc. I'm not sure what happened to the suggestions, I guess they were put on the "to do" list.

Let's hope that the excellent suggestions made like that, make it to the top of the list in the not to distant future.

Best wishes,
Mark
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Support FAQ (repeated questions appearing every week on the forum)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »